Protecting your protection- recording numbers, photo's???

This is a discussion on Protecting your protection- recording numbers, photo's??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend of mine recently told me about how he lost all of his gun's (13) to a robbery. He had them stashed in different ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protecting your protection- recording numbers, photo's???

Protecting your protection- recording numbers, photo's???

A friend of mine recently told me about how he lost all of his gun's (13) to a robbery. He had them stashed in different locations in the house so he's not sure how they knew where all of them were. He had the serial numbers written down but wishes he had taken photo's of the guns, and a close up of the numbers.

I only have one handgun so It was very easy to write the serial number down and photograph it from a few different angles.

I have the photo's on my computer, and in my parents safe.

SO, the question is: what have you done to protect your guns from theft? pictures, serial number recording, more?

(this quite possibly was asked before, but I am too lazy today to search. :) )

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Serial numbers recorded and stored off site in a safety deposit box. Also most of my handguns have my initials under the left grip panel.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Personally, I took pictures from several angles of my guns, and serial numbers, and put them all together into one PDF file. There is a copy on my computer, a copy on my cell phone's micro-sd card, and an encrypted copy on my sisters computer. In the event of theft, I'm unlikely to not be able to get the file on the PDQ..
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Photos and serial numbers of all my long guns and hand guns are saved at my State Farm agent... any new guns i get, i take photos and record serial numbers for him to have... and like a good neighbor, state farm is there. Bunker

I just put the serial numbers and models in an Excel spreadsheet.

Pictures of the gun, the serial # and have a list of the serial #'s all on a CD stored preferably at a seperate location other than your residence. His story also goes far in proving what I've always believed and that is hiding guns is a bad idea. A good solid and HEAVY safe is the best security you can have. If the safe is on a single level entry area than it should be bolted down also. Having a couple guns in stratigic locations in the house is OK, but the rest stay locked up tight.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

I took a handwritten inventory I keep in my office. I also used google documents for a safe off site record I can access anywhere. It will also be good measure if my computers are stolen to. GOD FORBID of course!!!
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

VIP Member
    No pictures, but I have a Excel Spreadsheet set up. All guns are logged in it when purchased, listing make, model, serial number, caliber, description and cost. When a gun is sold the cost is replaced with "sold". I also update the cost about every 6 months. Guns only go up in price so the cost of a new gun is what goes on the sheet. Guns that are no longer available I search places like Guns America to see what the replacement cost would be.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post
    Personally, I took pictures from several angles of my guns, and serial numbers, and put them all together into one PDF file. There is a copy on my computer, a copy on my cell phone's micro-sd card, and an encrypted copy on my sisters computer. In the event of theft, I'm unlikely to not be able to get the file on the PDQ..
    Closely resembles my level of record-keeping. Digital technology is so cheap and easy, gun owners are seriously remiss if they don't take simple precautions like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have two handwritten copies, one at home, one at a family members home. I have the info on my PC, a zip drive, email the info to myself and stored on the cloud. I should be able to retrieve it from somewhere.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

jyo
    A safe---get a heavy safe bolted down and record serial numbers---pics are a plus!

Distinguished Member
    Bill of sales stored in the safe, also scanned and stored in the cloud. Serials on back of NY permit. Serials also recored in my range log. Photos showing numbers also taken. Factory boxes have serials on them as well.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    Currently have serial numbers stored on my computer and in the cloud. But, I like the idea of taking close up photos and storing them in the cloud as well.

Pics with serial numbers on a key drive, in the safe and a file with insurance agent.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Photo, use "Paint" to enter Model, S/N, date of purchase, Amount. Stored in Cmptr and separate flashdrive.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links