Stress Crack S&W 642 Airweight

This is a discussion on Stress Crack S&W 642 Airweight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just noticed a crack on the underside of the frame on my 642 Airweight that has never been fired other than factory testing, NIB purchased ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stress Crack S&W 642 Airweight

Stress Crack S&W 642 Airweight

Just noticed a crack on the underside of the frame on my 642 Airweight that has never been fired other than factory testing, NIB purchased back in 2002. Has anybody ever seen before or come across it with thier J Frame ? Any information would be greatly appreciated. How is S&W customer service ?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Smith and Wesson customer service is awesome. They will replace that for you no problem. They sent me a prepaid shipping label. I had my 642 back the next week. They replaced pretty much everything.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

VIP Member
    That ought to buff right out huh?

S&W should take care of that, I'd better go look at my wife 642, I'm hoping that's not contagious.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thanks for posting... hope you get that issue straightened out. I am sure Smith and Wesson will get you a new one asap. Bunker

The barrel was probably over tightened at the factory. There are a few threads about it at www.smith-wessonforum.com Some have also had cracked frames on nib revolvers.

Never seen that before. Mine's been rock solid. Keep us posted on how it turns out.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    WOW! Well, at least I can guarantee you that you will get a brand new S&W 642. So at least you are getting a brand new model.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Bummer! But I'm sure S&W will take care of it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Had a problem with the clear coat coming off of the frame also so I was thinking about going with a 442 in the black finish. Are they all clear coated ?

I've been wanting one of these 642 Deluxe models wonder what the chances are they'll throw in the 642 with the Textured Wood Grips that has the pinky groove ? saw one for the first time a few weeks ago http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...0551_01_md.jpg Thanks for the reassuring/info guys, had pretty good idea S&W would take care of it,

Administrator
    Factory QC problem. S&W will take care of it.

Another gunsmith that I know actually had a barrel go down range when he was shooting one. I haven't been to impressed with S&W revolvers that last few years,guess I'm to old school.
    A note about S&W clear coat, Hoppes #9 will strip it off if left for to long.

The 442 doesn't appear to have any type of clear coat. I've shot mine a ton and it still looks great. From what I've read, the black annodized finish of the 442 is somewhat more durable than the finish of the 642.

I've seen a couple other examples of that same frame fracture on j-frame airweights. Not very common, but S&W will hook you up. If you tell them you would rather have a 442, they will most likely replace it with one without hesitation.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Wow, thats not a crack, thats a 'broke'. Its sounding like there is a lot of confidence in S&W's customer care, which is a very good thing.
    You say you've not shot this one since 2002 ? For 'muscle memory', Wife puts at least 50 rounds through her S&W model 60 every quarter, and only so few because her primary is a 9mm PPS.
    Gotta stay proficient somehow.

That's why I like steel frame revolvers instead of alloy. I'd rather carry the extra weight. Ask them if they'll replace it with a Ruger SP-101.

Okay, all kidding aside, I'm glad S&W will take care of it. I just hate having defects like that in the first place.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Wow that is aweful.How did that even leave the factory?
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links