FNP-45 Review

FNP-45 Review

This is a discussion on FNP-45 Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my FNP-45 for a month or so now and I thought I would write up a little review. I've only been able to ...

Thread: FNP-45 Review

FNP-45 Review

I've had my FNP-45 for a month or so now and I thought I would write up a little review. I've only been able to shoot it once since I bought it new. I ran 100 rounds through it with no problems. My first impression of it was that it's really freakin big! Imagine a USP size gun.

I'll just make a list of things I like and dislike about the gun:

The single-action trigger pull and overall handling of the gun feels awesome. I also like the fact that it holds 14 rounds of .45ACP! The price is another positive. I got mine for $514 from budsgunshop. Unfortunately the USG model was sold out, but I probably wouldn't have carried it cocked and locked anyways. Still, it would have been nice to get the feature. I'm still very pleased with my non-USG model.

The overall finish of the slide is pretty nice. I'd say it's pretty similar to the XD finish. I hope it holds up well.

What can I say, this gun shoots like a dream!

Dislikes
    I really don't care for the double-action trigger pull. I can't explain why, it just doesn't feel as clean as my CZ-75 or Beretta 92 DA pull. The pull's got a "plastic" feel to it. I will say that I got used to it after a while, but I still prefer the B92/CZ DA pull.

Another thing I really didn't like was the grip texture. It was pretty sharp. When I hold the gun at home, it feels fine, but at the range shooting, it started to hurt my hand after a while. This might have been caused by the cold weather causing my hands to be more tender.

I'm not sure is this is a like or dislike. I will say that the gun itself feels sturdy, but at the same time, the polymer doesn't feel as thick and sturdy as my XD or a Glock frame. I'm sure the FNP will hold up as well as any Glock or XD, it just feels more frail.

The finish on the magazines is a bit weird. I guess it's a mix between a black matte finish like a Beretta 92 mag and my chrome XD mags. I experienced some mag rattling, only one time when the mag wasn't fully loaded. Sometimes the magazines were hard to lock in place when loaded to capacity. It shouldn't matter for carry since I carry all of my semi-autos with one less than capacity + one in the chamber. I'll carry this one with 13rounds + 1 chambered.

Finally, when I was shooting, I noticed that the ejected shells were pretty much being ejected upwards instead of to the side. Sometimes they would hit the top of the gun or even my hand. I noticed that it got better for rounds 50-100. Has anyone else experienced this? It's not really a problem, just annoying a bit.

Conclusion
    Although I may have listed quite a few dislikes, I believe my FNP-45 is my favorite 45. Never been a fan of thick 45 Glocks, but this FNP feels great in the hand. It is still a big gun, just not as thick as a Glock 21/30 (or atleast it doesn't feel that way). The capacity is nice, and it shoots just as well as any 1911. Who knows, I might pick up a FNX-9 at a later date.

EDIT: It may look like frame cracks, but it's just cat hair. lol

I am in the reverse situation. I really love my FNX-9 and am thinking about picking up an FNP-45. Glad you like it.

Go for it! I don't want to turn anyone off from this gun; it's great! I'm just very critical to every little thing, even minor stuff.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Good pics, fondled them at SHOT last year, I think if you like Sigs, you will like these guns, about the same feel, without the same price.

I have the USG model and I like it a lot. The sights are great, and I it shoots well. The trigger is pretty good, but it has a little too much creep I seem to remember (it's been a while since I have shot it). I paid $699 almost two years ago, but that was with the Blade-tech package that came with a holster and mag holder, 2-14 round mags, and one 15 round mag, and a yellow training barrel. It came in a nice molded carry case as well. I shot my first two USPSA matches with it, and did pretty well. I hit as well as the best, but my speed wasn't too impressive :-) I ended up getting a Glock 34 that I use in USPSA due to the availability of aftermarket parts.
    I agree that it's big gun, so it probably won't be my CCW any time soon..
    One more thing, I wish the slide release was a little bigger.

Sponsored Links