Providence, RI Police Can the Beretta PX4 after only 3 Years, cite numerous failures

This is a discussion on Providence, RI Police Can the Beretta PX4 after only 3 Years, cite numerous failures within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The px4 G model has a decocker lever that do just that, when it is flipped down it will decock the pistol and will go ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Providence, RI Police Can the Beretta PX4 after only 3 Years, cite numerous failures

The px4 G model has a decocker lever that do just that, when it is flipped down it will decock the pistol and will go back up again as in a SIG, there is another model the F in which you have to flip it up to be able to fire, that is the model I have but it does not bother me at all, if a person practice and becomes very familiar with his weapon of choice all will become instinctive ( the F model can also be converted to work like the G model if a person chooses to do so).
    You can visit the berettaforun.net to find out how reliable the full size px4 is, the subcompact is doing fine at the beginning it had some kind of a problem witth the right side decocker lever but all that is behind now

Hello everyone, I am a former Providence PD officer and recall the reason why we switched guns from the PX to the S&W. We carried Beretta 96D centurions for 10 years and Beretta didn't want to refurbish them and guarantee them any longer so we decided to switch to the PX4 Storm which is really a Cougar but with a different look. We used them and for some time they were fine but due to unknown reason maybe due to the rush of manufacturing to get the guns to the department or what ever it could have been, we were getting guns with feeding problems and the armorer was getting guns with this issue and at one point in 3 years there were 50 guns with this issue. One of the armorers began to examine one and figured out what the issue was and corrected the problem. In the mean time while prior to this Beretta was called and the problem was presented. Beretta send guys from their office to evaluate the issue which was unsuccessful. Beretta then sent 3 guys from their main plant in Italy to look these guns over, once they arrived and the problem was discussed and our armorer showed what he had concluded due to a design flaw or flaw in manufacturing, Beretta refused to accept the findings and didn't want to repair the problem. This being concluded, the department didn't want to issue guns to officers who may have a problem during a call of service which could result to law suits. There was a call out to other manufacturers to send weapons to be evaluated so S&W, Glock, Para Ordnance, H&K, Sig and 2 more which I can't recall at the moment were tested with LEM trigger systems and the dept. took 15 people who were not gun people or had never handled a gun till they became officers. They had them shoot all the guns and S&W M&P 40 won out. It was the most easy transition to the lower denominator. S&W took all the Berettas in trade and gave the department new guns with night sights for free. The department was happy not to spend any money and to get rid of the liability issues. So that was the issue with the Berettas there was a design flaw which caused problems feeding while being fired, it wasn't the mags. It had some thing to do with the ramp and barrel lugs all pairing up properly while shooting the pistol or some thing to that nature. Hope this clears up some of the questions. The officers were offered to buy their guns if they so wished but I didn't buy mine, wish I had now since I carried it for 3 years.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Well, I was still surprised to see that Smith and Wesson charged them absolutely nothing for these 500 brand new M&P 40's. All the Providence PD gave them in exchange were their 500 used PX4 Storms.

No wonder they could not pass up such a sweet deal...
    You're assuming that they were dealing directly with S&W (unlikely), and that S&W would take a bunch of 2nd hand Berettas in trade.

I'm willing to bet that there was a third party (distributor) involved who was able to get a refund from Beretta due to the defective pistols, then turn around & buy new (heavily discounted) M&P's and still turn a profit on the deal.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array accessbob's Avatar
    I have fired both and I would go with M&P over the PX4 myself.
    hick63 and KMKCOLT like this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Maryland State Police switched about three years ago. Reportedly for a different problem.

Maryland State Police switch from Berettas to Glocks | Maryland News - WBAL Home
    Czombie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Maryland State Police switched about three years ago. Reportedly for a different problem.

Maryland State Police switch from Berettas to Glocks | Maryland News - WBAL Home
    The State Police switching over to Glocks seems a sensible move to me but the claim that with the Berettas bullets were falling out of magazines and magazines wouldn't drop in training seems pretty bogus to me. I think it's likely it was just a way to justify getting the Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Just 3 years ago Beretta made a big deal about how they got the Providence, RI police force to buy 500 PX4 Storm pistols in .40 S&W to supply their entire police force.

See this press release that Beretta made about the original sale:

http://www.shootingwire.com/releases/121417

In looking over a recent government expenditure document, however, I discovered that the Providence, RI police are now canning all 500 of these pistols, citing numerous failures occurring with them.

The guns are all being replaced by S&W M&P pistols.

This is disappointing news. Perhaps there is a reason why more police departments have not adopted the PX4 Storm?? Unfortunately, the document provides no details at all about what sort of failures were being experienced by the Providence Police Department.

Here is a link to this document that I came across. The pistol replacement is item #12 on the list:

http://sos.ri.gov/documents/publicin...010/100173.pdf

Prior to getting the PX4 pistols, Providence Police had carried the Beretta 96D.

Maryland State Police switched from Berettas to Glock 22s because of problems with the Beretta.
    "There are only 2 things we should fight for. One is the defense of our home and the other is the Bill of Rights".

Gen. Smedley Butler, USMC

I'm really honestly surprised to hear this. I hadn't heard of issues with the px4 before. this is one of those few old thread resurrections that I find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by wperez View Post
    the rage today is on pistols with a striker instead of a hammer
    Striker fired guns have been in the holsters of police departments for many decades for a reason, not a rage.

Also, maybe they just like an ergonomic, AMERICAN made pistol?

And based on the one officer who posted above, it had a great deal to do with customer service.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Here's a 4-year old thread of LEOs griping about their PX4 .40 failures: Beretta PX4 Storm .40 malfunctions | Police & Law Enforcement Discussions and Forums - PoliceLink.

I wonder if the issues were just with the .40. I'm just curious. We have about 1k through my wife's 9mm with no hiccups.

Distinguished Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    The only problems with my full size 9mm Px4 have been operation error. The magazine springs are so darn tight with a full 17 rounds, that you really have to ram them in to get a proper seating all the way until it clicks.

P.S. mine is an early 2013 model. Mags not dropping? Not mine, they shoot right out.
    Eric357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    You're assuming that they were dealing directly with S&W (unlikely), and that S&W would take a bunch of 2nd hand Berettas in trade.

I'm willing to bet that there was a third party (distributor) involved who was able to get a refund from Beretta due to the defective pistols, then turn around & buy new (heavily discounted) M&P's and still turn a profit on the deal.
    There was no third party involvement. everything I stated is how it went down. They took all the PX4 Berettas with night sights and holsters and gave the Prov. PD new M&P 40s with night sights and I'm not positive on the holsters if they gave that part of the package. They just recently with in the past year took all the old M&P 40 guns and gave the department the upgraded ones which is being used now. Don't know what the up grade was beside the grip texture. As an officer if you wished to buy your weapon you could do it by going through some MA dealer that the gun was being shipped to then they would send it to a local dealer in RI. The big hype was that it didn't cost the department anything.
    In Africa the saying goes, an Elephant can kill you, a Leopard can kill you, and a Black Mamba cab kill you. But only with the Mamba is death sure. Hence Its handle, "death Incarnate." Kill Bill vol 2(Tarantino,2004)

Oh by the way I forgot to mention if you wanted the weapon it was going to cost you $350. It was the same price for the Beretta 96D that I had before the switch to PX4. I didn't do it since the gun cost the department $350 new when they issued it to me and 10 years later they wanted the same price which I thought was crazy but now I think I should have purchased it. Well, spilled milk.
    In Africa the saying goes, an Elephant can kill you, a Leopard can kill you, and a Black Mamba cab kill you. But only with the Mamba is death sure. Hence Its handle, "death Incarnate." Kill Bill vol 2(Tarantino,2004)

This isn't the first time I've heard of PX4 failures. The Rochester NY police department also dumped them for something else after only having them for a short amount of time.

That being said, I owned several PX4s at one point and never had any failures out of them. The same can't be said about all of my Glocks.
    Eric357 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links