Providence, RI Police Can the Beretta PX4 after only 3 Years, cite numerous failures

Providence, RI Police Can the Beretta PX4 after only 3 Years, cite numerous failures

This is a discussion on Providence, RI Police Can the Beretta PX4 after only 3 Years, cite numerous failures within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just 3 years ago Beretta made a big deal about how they got the Providence, RI police force to buy 500 PX4 Storm pistols in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Providence, RI Police Can the Beretta PX4 after only 3 Years, cite numerous failures

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Just 3 years ago Beretta made a big deal about how they got the Providence, RI police force to buy 500 PX4 Storm pistols in .40 S&W to supply their entire police force.

See this press release that Beretta made about the original sale:

http://www.shootingwire.com/releases/121417

In looking over a recent government expenditure document, however, I discovered that the Providence, RI police are now canning all 500 of these pistols, citing numerous failures occurring with them.

The guns are all being replaced by S&W M&P pistols.

This is disappointing news. Perhaps there is a reason why more police departments have not adopted the PX4 Storm?? Unfortunately, the document provides no details at all about what sort of failures were being experienced by the Providence Police Department.

Here is a link to this document that I came across. The pistol replacement is item #12 on the list:

http://sos.ri.gov/documents/publicin...010/100173.pdf

Prior to getting the PX4 pistols, Providence Police had carried the Beretta 96D.

VIP Member
    Just another police force and what has recently been a long line of ones switching to the M&P.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Just another police force and what has recently been a long line of ones switching to the M&P.

Well, but all of these guns were only 3 years old. A department normally does not retire pistols after only 3 years. So this was not a logical time for them to be switching.

They obviously must have been unhappy with the PX4 Storm, to switch like this. I suppose that this sweetheart deal that S&W gave them could have been a factor, though. I honestly don't see how S&W can make any money on this deal. At least in the near term.

I sure wish there was a way to find out what the problems were. I only learned about this change because a Google search produced a link to this government PDF. To my knowledge, there has been no public announcement of any kind about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Well, but all of these guns were only 3 years old. A department normally does not retire pistols after only 3 years. So this was not a logical time for them to be switching.

They obviously must have been unhappy with the PX4 Storm, to switch like this. I suppose that this sweetheart deal that S&W gave them could have been a factor, though. I honestly don't see how S&W can make any money on this deal. At least in the near term.

I sure wish there was a way to find out what the problems were. I only learned about this change because a Google search produced a link to this government PDF. To my knowledge, there has been no public announcement of any kind about it.

I'm pretty sure most gun companies don't make a ton of money on large department sales. They probably hope to recoup it in sales to smaller agencies and individuals by using it as another feather in their hat.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    I'm pretty sure most gun companies don't make a ton of money on large department sales. They probably hope to recoup it in sales to smaller agencies and individuals by using it as another feather in their hat.
    Honestly I think they make their money on folks like us and people who see LEO's carrying a particular firearm.

S&W does do sweetheart deals for large depts. Our State Police is one of about 5 major depts still carrying 3rd gen metals guns, and are preparing to replace them with the same 4566 model only in black melonite and with an integral rail on the dust cover. Smith does use these "name drops" to sell guns to other markets. It is widely known that civilians tend to go with guns used by the LE in their area. They do make money on these transactions with depts, though maybe not enough to carry their bills for the whole year. They also use handgun sales to make AR sales, etc.

The PX4 being dropped is pretty much answered by the fact that they are not hugely popular "on the street". There is a reason.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Well, I was still surprised to see that Smith and Wesson charged them absolutely nothing for these 500 brand new M&P 40's. All the Providence PD gave them in exchange were their 500 used PX4 Storms.

No wonder they could not pass up such a sweet deal.

Both my own M&P 40 and my PX4 Storm .40 are law enforcement models, that I purchased real cheap from dealers. They both had law enforcement SKU numbers. I think that the dealer's cost must have been lower for them, which is why I got them at such a good price.

I've not really experienced any problems at all with my own PX4 Storm. However, I developed a preference for my M&P, so I've honsetly not put that many rounds through my PX4 Storm.

This report makes me wonder that if I did shoot my PX4 Storm a lot, if it would really hold up well.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    The PX4 being dropped is pretty much answered by the fact that they are not hugely popular "on the street". There is a reason.
    I found this story to be most interesting, as I own both of these guns. My own preference led me to go with the M&P. So I don't have that many rounds through my PX4 Storm.

In my own case, I think it was the better ergonomics of the M&P that won me over. It is also less bulky, and a bit lighter than the PX4 Storm too.

But my PX4 Storm seems to be well made, has a wonderful DA/SA triggger pull, and shoots very well too. I would love to know what sort of failures the Providence Department experienced.

VIP Member
    I think that 500 pistols would cost S&W less than one TV add and they get way better publicity.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I have px4 in .40 cal and never had a problem with it, it is very very accurate, kicks like a 9mm and absolutely reliable, the rage today is on pistols with a striker instead of a hammer and that may be the reason it is not as popular as other pistols but I am seen more and more new px4 sold and and less on the used gun market. When I purchased mine I compared it against other pistols including the MP in .40 cal and the Beretta felt better in my hand but that is just me.I posted in the Beretta forum an inquire about the type of failure and if I get an answer I will post it here

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wperez View Post
    I have px4 in .40 cal and never had a problem with it, it is very very accurate, kicks like a 9mm and absolutely reliable, the rage today is on pistols with a striker instead of a hammer and that may be the reason it is not as popular as other pistols but I am seen more and more new px4 sold and and less on the used gun market. When I purchased mine I compared it against other pistols including the MP in .40 cal and the Beretta felt better in my hand but that is just me.I posted in the Beretta forum an inquire about the type of failure and if I get an answer I will post it here
    Don't lie! The only reason you choose the PX4 is because you like to carry super duper lasers!

C hawk I really like that one, but I am a wheel man, I have three .357 and two 22. It took me awhile to make my decision and I am very happy with it. Right now I am trying to decide which sub compact model is best for my needs, I do not want to rush it I am having to much fun doing it

I played with a PX4 9mm and it seemed to prefer hot ammunition. I did not end up buying one but it seemed to be an accurate weapon but I had 1 FTF and 2 FTE in 75 rounds. It was not reliable enough for me.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

It could be as simple as the PX4 having a manual safety,not all Cops are gun people and if they forget to switch from safe to fire on the gun range,then the results could get Officers killed on the streets where failing to flick a safety off could be fata.
    I have a M&P 45c,I hadn't shot in awhile,I put about a box thru it yesterday and now realise why my wife stole it,very soft shooting and very accurate
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I bought my daughter a 9c and I got a 45c,my daughter loves hers and my wife stole mine,got to shoot the 45c at the range yesterday,very comfortable soft shooting and accurate,next step is installing an apex sear for her
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links