Glock 17 ; Standard review, ready for carry

This is a discussion on Glock 17 ; Standard review, ready for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am 69 inches and 172 pounds, and with the appropriate attire have no problem concealing the 17 or 22. You do have to be ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 17 ; Standard review, ready for carry

I am 69 inches and 172 pounds, and with the appropriate attire have no problem concealing the 17 or 22. You do have to be mindful about dress, and use the right rig, but it can be done.

Limatunes if I remember right conceals a g19, with a 26 inch waist, if I'm not mistaken, so there's some inspiration right there.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    No offense taken.

72" at about 210, but shoulder wider than the hips by a decent bit.

Style of dress is usually jeans, with either a size too big (XL instead of L) t-shirt or polo, or a L t-shirt with an unbuttoned collared shirt as a cover garment would be normal dress. Add a hoodie or coat in the fall/winter.

It is about a good rig, and proper clothing choices. I do have clothes I can not conceal a full sized 1911 with, which tend to be more "fashionable," but they tend to only get worn when I am going out on a weekend night or something, and I can't carry to places that sell alcohol in Ohio.

Trust me. There is a MAJOR difference between 6 foot 210 pounds (you) and 5'9 173 pounds (me). You can wear a XL instead of a L to help conceal a pistol and still look normal. On the other hand if I try to wear a large instead of a medium I look like I'm wearing a tent. Belt and holster only go so far when your a smaller guy like me. When your lean and short (Google a picture of a professional marathon runner and that will give you the idea of my body type) it often comes down to looking like a total slob or carrying a bit less fire power. I personally opt for my SP-101 most of the time as it provides a good compromise. HOWEVER I am not beyond putting on something baggy to strap on the G23 and a spare mag if I am going someplace I think I may need it.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I am 69 inches and 172 pounds, and with the appropriate attire have no problem concealing the 19/22. You do have to be mindful about dress, and use the right rig, but it can be done.

Limatunes if I remember right conceals a g19, with a 26 inch waist, if I'm not mistaken, so there's some inspiration right there.
    Lima does do it but if you look at the pictures of her doing it she wears outer garments that (most) men can't get away with wearing. As far as being mindful of dress I agree with that to an extent but as a (fairly) young black male I attempt to stay away from ANYTHING baggy. 90 percent of my wardrobe is from Banana Republic.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Gotta hand it to ya, I kind of like some of those clothes myself.
    I have found that so far winter carry is easy in a owb holster with a fleece pull over to cover it. A slightly large button up as a cover garment and IWB will work well in the warmer weather. I have also found the good ol fashion pancake holster in a high ride configuration can't be beat for general purposes.

Since you already had a G19, couldn't you have just gotten some G17 mags for it?

Hey I like Glocks - but other than the desire for a rail, I don't see much need for anything beyond the G26. Stoke it with G19 or G17 mags if you want more firepower.

Of course, need and want are different things. You can't ever have too many Glocks!

Enjoy the G17.

BTW - Suarez is promoting the idea of dual appendix carry of 2 G17s. One at 11 and another at 1 o'clock. Don't know how the guy sits down or bends over...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Plus , 17 shots on tap gives me the warm fuzzies.

You want warm fuzzies? Put Glock +2 extensions on a couple of those G17 mags. That's 19 + 1 in the tube rounds. Oh yeeeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Trust me. There is a MAJOR difference between 6 foot 210 pounds (you) and 5'9 173 pounds (me). You can wear a XL instead of a L to help conceal a pistol and still look normal. On the other hand if I try to wear a large instead of a medium I look like I'm wearing a tent. Belt and holster only go so far when your a smaller guy like me. When your lean and short (Google a picture of a professional marathon runner and that will give you the idea of my body type) it often comes down to looking like a total slob or carrying a bit less fire power. I personally opt for my SP-101 most of the time as it provides a good compromise. HOWEVER I am not beyond putting on something baggy to strap on the G23 and a spare mag if I am going someplace I think I may need it.
    Not trying to hi-jack g-man's thread here, but...

My younger brother is now 21, and was giving me the same line of thinking. He is about 69 or 70", and if he breaks 150, I would be shocked (I guess I ate all his food growing up). He is pretty much a string bean. And using not even a gunbelt, but one of his store bought ones, I showed him several ways he could conceal a 1911 within his wardrobe, using my holsters. I wish I had some pictures, but due to geographical difficulties, I don't have any, and can not produce some.

I have found that wearing an unbuttoned collared shirt is usually one of the better choices as far as a cover garment goes. I don't think it screams "Gun" like some of the vests do. It still looks relatively decent, of course if it gets windy, it can cause issues, but that is where a dark pistol IWB and dark t-shirt help.

It's possible to do, with the right clothing and rig.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I realize this is an OLD thread. I am curious how your year of carrying the 17 went? What are you currently using as your edc?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links