Glock 17 ; Standard review, ready for carry

This is a discussion on Glock 17 ; Standard review, ready for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As some know, I made the decision to carry the G17. So, I have had a new Gen 3 , that came with the Gen4 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 ; Standard review, ready for carry

Glock 17 ; Standard review, ready for carry

As some know, I made the decision to carry the G17. So, I have had a new Gen 3 , that came with the Gen4 mags.

My first trip out a several weeks back, I had a couple of FTFs where the round was in the chamber, but still slightly in the mag, and it was always the last round in the mag. This happened with only one mag, an older LE only mag.

I felt like it could be the mag, but also felt like it could be the new recoil spring being stiff, and needing time to loosen up to allow the slide to recoil fully to the rear, as to give it adequate return velocity to chamber.

Yesterday, I took the LE mags and shot them both without any FTFs. Problem solved. It now eats everything and works with all the magazines I have.
    Accuracy is typical Glock, and everything else is typical Glock.
    It does shoot a little to the left which I will remedy.

As a last not, I would add that this is the second Glock I have had that required the recoil spring to break in, and that the older magazine follower design seems to play a factor in this. The current magazines supplyed with the gun worked flawlessly from the beginning. This same thing happened with my G19, it to partially chambered the last round in my older LE mags until it had about 100 rounds thru it.

But, I now feel it's ready for EDC.

2. Remove Ads

A friend of mine this morning told me a similar story, about his new G26 he purchased. He shot it for the first time this weekend, using WWB 115gr. , he put about 50 round down the pipe and had 5 FTE's. He was upset to say the least, I told him it was probably due to the ammo and the recoil spring being new and stiff. I told him to run another 100 rounds through it and it would probably work it self out. This 26 is a Gen 3, so I would think that this is probably all it is, as he also ran about 10 rounds of Hornady SD rounds down it with no problems. Good luck and hope you enjoy your G17.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    glockman10mm...I thought you were 10mm all the way based on the additional power of 10mm!!!

I'm curious now, why the decision to carry a 9mm and especially the 17 if you still have the slightly more compacy 19?

Don't get me wrong...I'm not against the 9mm, I swap out my 27 & 23 occasionally to carry my 19 and have noticed at the range the 9mm is more accurate and faster on follow up shots than the .40.
    Proud NRA member

The 10mm is my favorite auto pistol cartridge. However, over time, and with experience, I have reevaluated my needs and desires in an edc.

They say if you can conceal a 26, you can conceal a 19. So, if you can conceal a 19, the 17 is not much more. It is roughly the same size as a full size 1911.

With the downloading of the 357 by factorys, the 9mm as loaded by companies such as Double Tap with a 124 grain bullet zipping at 1340 fps, it comes pretty close to what's available in 357 over the counter. Plus , 17 shots on tap gives me the warm fuzzies.

Another point I considered is the g17 IS the gun Glock built it's legendary status for reliability and durability.
    Also, I like the usability of a full sized pistol.

The 10mm in the Glock platform is for me an all round gun, good for everything, but a little to robust in it's size for practical edc. I have made it a speciality gun for my uses.

I have a 26,19, and now, 17. For the purposes of SD, shootability, economy, and versatility, I have chosen these 3 as my working guns in the world I am at now. I have had glocks since they hit our market in the 80s. They have never failed me, I can do all the work on them myself, so theyare for me the best choice.

I carry a g22 on duty, and I like it too. But the 9 is very capable, and the 17 mirrors my duty weapon in size, so it's familiar.

Should have gotten an XD.

It sounded funny in my head . . .

Dup

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The 10mm is my favorite auto pistol cartridge. However, over time, and with experience, I have reevaluated my needs and desires in an edc.

They say if you can conceal a 26, you can conceal a 19. So, if you can conceal a 19, the 17 is not much more. It is roughly the same size as a full size 1911.

With the downloading of the 357 by factorys, the 9mm as loaded by companies such as Double Tap with a 124 grain bullet zipping at 1340 fps, it comes pretty close to what's available in 357 over the counter. Plus , 17 shots on tap gives me the warm fuzzies.

Another point I considered is the g17 IS the gun Glock built it's legendary status for reliability and durability.
    Also, I like the usability of a full sized pistol.

The 10mm in the Glock platform is for me an all round gun, good for everything, but a little to robust in it's size for practical edc. I have made it a speciality gun for my uses.

I have a 26,19, and now, 17. For the purposes of SD, shootability, economy, and versatility, I have chosen these 3 as my working guns in the world I am at now. I have had glocks since they hit our market in the 80s. They have never failed me, I can do all the work on them myself, so theyare for me the best choice.

I carry a g22 on duty, and I like it too. But the 9 is very capable, and the 17 mirrors my duty weapon in size, so it's familiar.

Hey Glockman I own the 26 and 19 for most of the same reasons you state. Your reasoning to have the 17 is a wise one. I love my Glocks. Stay safe!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

As someone who usually carries a full size handgun, they aren't that hard to conceal with everyday clothing. I never really understood that arguement. Yes, I can just put a j-frame in my pocket, but I feel better with a 1911 and some faster reloads than speed strips. And I shoot full sized pistols better.

Congrats on getting it up and running, think its going to last the whole year like you said it would?

I need to stop looking at Glock threads, my 36 is complaining about being left alone with all my steel pistols.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    As someone who usually carries a full size handgun, they aren't that hard to conceal with everyday clothing. I never really understood that arguement. Yes, I can just put a j-frame in my pocket, but I feel better with a 1911 and some faster reloads than speed strips. And I shoot full sized pistols better.

Congrats on getting it up and running, think its going to last the whole year like you said it would?

I need to stop looking at Glock threads, my 36 is complaining about being left alone with all my steel pistols.
    Yeah, I think it will make a year. Summer is gonna be the real test. But I can see the g26 getting its time too, with a g19 reload mag.

Glad you're happy with your handgun.

If it works for you, that's all one can ask.

Glock makes a reliable and very economical sidearm. They are very ugly but they work.

And that's what counts.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

A glock's' beauty is not necessarily in it's form, but in it's function. Give me an "ugly" gun that goes bang every time.

Ugly is as ugly does. And it can get ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    As someone who usually carries a full size handgun, they aren't that hard to conceal with everyday clothing. I never really understood that arguement.
    I mean no offense by this but what is your weight, height and normal style of dress?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I mean no offense by this but what is your weight, height and normal style of dress?
    No offense taken.

72" at about 210, but shoulder wider than the hips by a decent bit.

Style of dress is usually jeans, with either a size too big (XL instead of L) t-shirt or polo, or a L t-shirt with an unbuttoned collared shirt as a cover garment would be normal dress. Add a hoodie or coat in the fall/winter.

It is about a good rig, and proper clothing choices. I do have clothes I can not conceal a full sized 1911 with, which tend to be more "fashionable," but they tend to only get worn when I am going out on a weekend night or something, and I can't carry to places that sell alcohol in Ohio.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have a 19 (edc/duty) 17 gen 4 (duty/sometimes carried) and 21 (for sale locally so I can pay on my Kimber)

With that said I don't like the gen 4 it's trigger is not anything like my 19 which I shoot pretty well. I would like to get a gen 3 and also (another) 26. Used to have one and sold it (and 30 and 36)

I would really like to carry my 17 edc in winter but don't dig the trigger. Enjoy the 17 Glockman10mm. Wish I would have made wiser choices when I bought my "had to have" 17.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links