Best 1911 under $1000?

This is a discussion on Best 1911 under $1000? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Colt Commanders are available in black and stainless and retail from $800-$900 and have the 4 inch barrel you are looking for (or 4.25, if ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 1911 under $1000?

Colt Commanders are available in black and stainless and retail from $800-$900 and have the 4 inch barrel you are looking for (or 4.25, if you want to get technical).

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    colt
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have the SA Champion, 4" barrel, Stainless, with Night Sights, great looking gun, accuracy: so-so, trigger was about 7 lbs. or so, kinda heavy for carry-but built like a tank, gave $680 for it in mint condition, and lightened the trigger.

Also have a Colt Stainless 1991 Commander, 4.25" barrel, New Roll mark, regular sights, good accuracy, lighter than the Champion, uses a standard barrel and bushing, so I put in an EGW bushing, now very accurate, gave $725 new.

Both GREAT guns! I guess I somewhat prefer the Colt, but it's probably just that "Colt feel". They both run flawlessly with most ammo.

NOTE: if you go for the SA Champion, check the barrel to slide fit. (It uses a bull or tapered barrell) Some like mine are quite loose at the muzzle when in full battery. If you can find one that has a nice tight fit, I figure that should help the accuracy greatly. The tightness varies quite a bit in the several I have seen, with about 1/3 of them being tight, and 2/3rds not so much.

Another opinion I have about 1911's, and the power of promotion, Colt doesn't advertise. With the quality of pistols they are putting out now, and their legendary resale value, if they only spent 1/3rd of the amount on advertising that Kimber does, I think they'd about own the market, because they are very good guns. Not saying SA's aren't, they are great too, I routinely shoot several specimens of both breeds. I swear, if Kimber would cut their advertising budget by 1/2, they could probably knock $150 per gun off the MSRP! 2-3 Ads in EVERY magazine!

I own a springfield 1911A1 stainless 5" loaded version . Love this gun and the last time I checked it wad around 800-900dollars . go to their web and look under the loaded selection to find this firearm. This gun is very accurate.

Another vote for Springer. Check the S/N; if it has a "NM" prefix, it's American-built.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sporty79 View Post
    Ok, I am in the market for a 1911 that is no more than $1000. Here is the criteria:

1) 4" barrel
    2) Would like it to have night sights but not a deal breaker..
    3) Prefer Stainless, have too many black guns
    4) Reliable track record

Thanks, now I'll kick back and wait on replies!!
    Colt Combat Commander. I came in right at 1K with FFL and shipping. Enjoy the hunt!

New Colt.jpg

VIP Member
    I have the SA 5" Loaded and have a shooting mate that has the 4". Both have been great guns, fun to shoot and easy to care for. While I would not call either a tack driver, the 4" in particular groups well. Load a mag and take out the "X" on the target in 1 shaggy hole. I like it. He won't sell it. Oh well, I still get to shoot it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I can't disagree with the Springfield SS Champion. Very nice gun and very good company with regards to customer service. I had a LW Champion as my EDC, and it was a pleasure to carry, accurate enough and reliable. But I have realized that I much prefer a true Commander (4.25 bushing barrel) 1911, to one made with a bushingless bull barrel. So in your price range, Colt is about the only one that makes a real commander in SS.

BTW: S&W makes true commander 1911 under $1,000, but some people don't like the extractor they use. Other than that, they are awsome 1911s. Now that I think about it, I don't think they have them in SS.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    You also get the Springfield customer service, which is great!
    Dangit, I knew I was forgetting something!

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    Another opinion I have about 1911's, and the power of promotion, Colt doesn't advertise. With the quality of pistols they are putting out now, and their legendary resale value, if they only spent 1/3rd of the amount on advertising that Kimber does, I think they'd about own the market, because they are very good guns. Not saying SA's aren't, they are great too, I routinely shoot several specimens of both breeds. I swear, if Kimber would cut their advertising budget by 1/2, they could probably knock $150 per gun off the MSRP! 2-3 Ads in EVERY magazine!
    Y'know, it's funny. The more ads I see for a given product, the less likely I am to buy it.

I figure if they're spending that much money trying to convince people to buy it, there's a good chance that it means the product can't stand on its own merits. Case-in-point: Kimber. They do turn out some decent guns, and they sure are purdy , but if they committed their advertising budget to quality control, they could be as good as anything out there!

Colt Defender. After a lot of comparison shopping, and comparison shooting, this ended up an easy choice for me.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I vote Springfield...never seen a Colt that didn't need work right out of the box (usually polishing ramp, barrel, hood, action). Kimbers have also had their problems, but seem to be doing much better lately. Personally I've owned a few Springfields, including the Champion model and they are totally reliable and super accurate (1/2" or less-think one ragged hole at 25yrds+). I would still polish the feed ramp and inside of barrel.

VIP Member
    I would say Colt Commander.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

S&W,Sig or Springfield. I prefer the external extractor so I lean harder toward the S&W and Sig but you can't go wrong with SA either. Stay away from Para, I love their guns but customer service and getting parts are impossible.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    colt!!!! can't go wrong!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Strap View Post
    S&W,Sig or Springfield. I prefer the external extractor so I lean harder toward the S&W and Sig but you can't go wrong with SA either. Stay away from Para, I love their guns but customer service and getting parts are impossible.
    May I ask why you prefer the external extractor? The reason I ask is that I am the complete opposite with my 1911's. S&W is about the only 1911 with an external extractor that got it right, other have tried and fail.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links