Best 1911 under $1000? - Page 3

Best 1911 under $1000?

This is a discussion on Best 1911 under $1000? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C hawk Glock May I ask why you prefer the external extractor? The reason I ask is that I am the complete ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best 1911 under $1000?

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    May I ask why you prefer the external extractor? The reason I ask is that I am the complete opposite with my 1911's. S&W is about the only 1911 with an external extractor that got it right, other have tried and fail.
    Yea Kimber had a heck of a time with it,I just find it easier to maintain and trouble shoot. When the traditional style is setup right they're flawless but they can be a booger at times.

My two cents...My 3" Kimbers and 4.25" Sig have been more reliable (feeding, ejecting, no issues with ammo) than my Springfield Lightweight Operator (4.25"). They are also both fully made in the U.S. Mind you, the Springer is not a bad gun but it has been ammo sensitive.

I have the 5" SW1911 in Stainless and it is an absolute joy to shoot! The can be had new for $820

SW also make a 4.25" with scandium frame/SS Slide that can be had for around $900 retail

SW1911 4.25"

It's my recommendation based on the reliability and enjoyment I get out of my S&W.

I used to have a Colt Commander back in the mid 90s, that was also a good 1911 that you can't go wrong with. (I've heard very good things about the Kimber and Springfield 1911s as well but have no firsthand experience with them)

DON'T overlook USED either........LOTS out there to choose from. Personally, I never buy new, just because of what I see come into the store, with customers buying a new gun, only to trade up/down for something else, and never shooting more than a couple hundred rounds theu em.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

"3" Kimbers and 4.25" Sig have been more reliable...They are also both fully made in the U.S..."
    The Sig 4.25s aren't 100% made in the US. They told me it was taking so long to replace my defective RCS because they were waiting for frames to come in from Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporty79 View Post
    Ok, I am in the market for a 1911 that is no more than $1000. Here is the criteria:

1) 4" barrel
    2) Would like it to have night sights but not a deal breaker..
    3) Prefer Stainless, have too many black guns
    4) Reliable track record

Thanks, now I'll kick back and wait on replies!!
    Depending on what you want the gun for, #4 should be your most important criteria. With your budget, I would highly recommend getting an HK45 in either fullsize or compact.

Larry Vickers probably has more experience building and using 1911s intended for defensive/LE/combat usage than anyone in history, so this interview with him an Ken Hackathorn might be illuminating.

New or used? My 1997 Kimber Compact has been totally reliable. Back then, they turned our great guns.

Today I'd either go Springfield, Dan Wesson (not in your price range), or Rock Island.

Thanks for all the info! I've tried 3 gun shops and none can even get the Sprinfield Loaded Champion, I guess I will have to wait a little longer.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Look on the internet, I just picked up a new Springfield Loaded Champion in SS for $825. Should be here by the weekend. I chose this gun based on the comments in this forum and others. It was a tough choice between the Colt XSE and the Springfield tho.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

OK, y'all get the flamethrowers ready. Sporty, if you're looking for a 1911 for daily carry and not just for shooting MOA groups at the range, you can get two Rock Islands and still have enough change left for lots of ammo. My two rocks have been perfect right from day one, and after several thousand rounds are still perfect. Accurate, a variety of barrel lengths ( 3.5, 4 and 5) lifetime warranty, variety of finishes, and the best customer service in the business. I know they don't have the name recognition like Colt, Springfield or Kimber, but their quality is second to none. I am not putting down any of the other gunmakers, they are fine, I'm just including RIA as an option.
    Last edited by Dadoo; February 15th, 2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Can't spell, or type. Deadly combo.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Dadoo View Post
    OK, y'all get the flamethrowers ready. Sporty, if you're looking for a 1911 for daily carry and not just for shooting MOA groups at the range, you can get two Rock Islands and still have enough change left for lots of ammo. My two rocks have been perfect right from day one, and after several thousand rounds are still perfect. Accurate, a variety of barrel lengths ( 3.5, 4 and 5) lifetime warranty, variety of finishes, and the best customer service in the business. I know they don't have the name recognition like Colt, Springfield or Kimber, but their quality is second to none. I am not putting down any of the other gunmakers, they are fine, I'm just including RIA as an option.
    I say yes; I have several buddies with RI great guns and fantastic customer service; if I ever get a 1911 I would get a RIA........... but every time I plan to get one another GLOCK ends up in the safe????

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links