ATI FX.45 Anybody?

This is a discussion on ATI FX.45 Anybody? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What has been your experience? Have you switched out any internals, especially the short guide rod, hammer, trigger? I recently picked up an ATI. Hit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI FX.45 Anybody?

ATI FX.45 Anybody?

What has been your experience?
    Have you switched out any internals, especially the short guide rod, hammer, trigger?
    I recently picked up an ATI. Hit the range today. 200rds with 1 failure to feed which was a Speer HP with considerable setback. After dropping it in the chamber and inserting the mag it and the others (Winchester FMJ, Hornady Tap, Speer HP and Hydra Shoks all 230gr) ran well.
    I'd like to hear from other ATI 1911 .45cal OWNERS.
    I appreciate the concern from the members who have "friends" who have experience with this firearm but I'd like to keep it down to OWNERS please.

Thanks. Sam.
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSAM View Post
    I recently picked up an ATI. Hit the range today. 200rds with 1 failure to feed which was a Speer HP with considerable setback. After dropping it in the chamber and inserting the mag...
    That's a good way to break your extractor. In a 1911 always load your +1 from the magazine, take the mag out and top it off, then re-insert the mag.

Thanks Sleipnir.
    I know it's not the better way to do it but I did say it was a failure to feed.
    You're right and I don't want to have to fix it from my first range trip.

I picked up the commander sized ATI a few weeks ago. I had read some good reviews on it and the parts are interchangeable with the higher end 1911's, per one of the ATI customer service reps. So far, I have 200 Winchester WB FMJ, 100 Lawman FMJ and 60 Winchester PDX JHP rounds though it without a single issue. I recently found a company that manufactures ammo right down the street from where I live which is pretty awesome, as are their prices. I am going to pick up some of their FMJ and JHP to see how they run. It came with one ATC mag and I found some at Brownells for a good deal so I snabbed some. Right now it is stock but my plan is to make it my EDC gun. My list of upgrades for carry are replace the sights with Novak 3-dot carry sights, Ergo XT grips and maybe do a flat black cerakote. All in all I think it's a great gun, pretty solid and the price point is good. I haven't had any issues but I hear their customer service is excellent from those that have dealt with them.

The number one thing that any 1911 owner can do to eliminate feeding issues is to get either Wilson 47D mags or Tripp Research Cobra mags. My 1911 had teething issues when new and used to make Gold Dots set back like crazy with the stock mags, in fact I had a post about it a while back, but my Wilson 47D mag and Tripp Cobra mag cured that issue and I have not had a problem since.

VIP Member
    I posted on this a while back:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ighlight=Titan

Since in only comes with one mag, I immediately ordered some Wilsons to go with it. 'Turns out the Wilsons made no diff on FTF's during the break-in. That little bad-boy was just built tight and needed to find its groove. It's running fine now, but really had me worried there for the first 200 rnds. I put over 500 down the pipe before I started carrying it.

500+ rds is my plan too.
    I really appreciate the replies guys. I really like mine and am anxious to start carrying it. I have a Pure Kustom Black Ops that I bought for a P13 that I sold a while ago (it still hurts).
    This gun fits in it perfectly but I don't even want to strap it on before the 500rd mark. I was asked if it was MilSpec or Colt Spec. I haven't been able to find that info.
    I'm thinking about dropping the cash for the 47D mags. I saved so much on the gun that I can afford the mags.
    WHEC724, Thanks for the link to your post. Found some good info to start with.

On a couple other forums I found an industry member by the name of ATI Christopher who is/was a CS rep.
    This rep. states that the FX GI is milspec!!
    Anyone found anything different?

Ati fx .45

I am a current and pleased owner of an ATI FX .45 military configuration. I purchased mine mid of February 2011. I personally have only put 200 rounds of Remington UMC target loads at 25 yards. have yet to try JHP or any other round sadly . The gun is a great natural shooter (just seems to point and aim its self) and the ammo never FTF or stovepipe, etc. The Remington UMC target ammo seems new to the market as far as i have researched online its nickel plated and is reload-able. bit pricey tho, enough about the ammo. I scooped up my ATI Military .45 at my local gun store for 426.30 out the door, I am very happy with its fit and finnish. For being made in the Philippines i doubted it at first but so far, its excellent. the only think i do not like about this pistol is that the barrel is blued (which i like) but the part of the barrel exposed threw the slide "appears" to be stainless or nickel plated steel but i doubt it. I wish the barrel was entirely blued! after my 200 rounds it is showing slide rub wear, but eh what do i care. If any one else who OWNES one of these fine 1911's and has experienced how to clear the smudging/clouding on the exposed part of the barrel please do share. I have tried to clean it with standard gun cleaning products but with no fix. That really is my only criticism. I must say this is my first 1911, so i dont have much to compare it to, say a colt for example. But so far from MY limited personal experience, ATI FX .45 Military is a great priced gun with no flaws yet. I would recommend them to any one looking for an original as possible 1911 or a new .45 buyer. this guns fit is well and finnish is grand for the money. A MUST BUY (esp while so cheap) yeaaaaah only except single stack single action m1911a1 hope this could help some one. hope some one can help me thanks!

I am seeing that same smudging issue in my ATI as well. I'm not too concerned with it though as it is now my EDC. I'm already seeing some holster wear on the finish but again, it's my EDC. I think it adds character. I am really thinking on cerakote job though, just need the cash to do it. The Ergo XT grips are working out beautifully, they are slimmer than the stock ones but still use the same bushings and screws.
    Speaking of which, BIGSAM, the only thing I have seen on these that are not MIL-SPEC are the grip bushings and screws. Per Chris at ATI, they are metric. I am planning doing some more updates to it, as I shoot it and carry it, I keep finding things to do to it. Right now, I am going to start with the sights, extended low profile thumb safety, new trigger (undecided which one, thinking polymer) and a checkered MSH. I'll post up some pics when I get into that part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterborne View Post
    I am seeing that same smudging issue in my ATI as well. I'm not too concerned with it though as it is now my EDC. I'm already seeing some holster wear on the finish but again, it's my EDC. I think it adds character. I am really thinking on cerakote job though, just need the cash to do it. The Ergo XT grips are working out beautifully, they are slimmer than the stock ones but still use the same bushings and screws.
    Speaking of which, BIGSAM, the only thing I have seen on these that are not MIL-SPEC are the grip bushings and screws. Per Chris at ATI, they are metric. I am planning doing some more updates to it, as I shoot it and carry it, I keep finding things to do to it. Right now, I am going to start with the sights, extended low profile thumb safety, new trigger (undecided which one, thinking polymer) and a checkered MSH. I'll post up some pics when I get into that part of it.
    I'll be doing some upgrades too. Mainly the trigger. I have larger hands so a long, flat trigger works well for me. I have one on my Taurus and it feels really natural. Those grip panels are going also. My Taurus has the ERGOs and I love them. Wilson Valu line combat hammer, magwell with MSH, extended ambi-safety and maybe night sights but those most likely will come last.

Enjoy

CMR
    Thanks for the various reports. I've been considering on getting the "tactical" version with the rail.......
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Angry Bad experiences with FX 45 and ATI...

I want to start by saying that I love my FX 45 Military... when it's functioning. I hate ATI's customer support.

To put it bluntly, ATI's customer service SUCKS! When I first purchased my FX 45 Military, I had a minor problem. When I removed the grips, the grip bushing came out of the frame so that the grip screw and bushing were in the grip when I removed it. No problem. I didn't want to put a pair of pliers on the threads of the bushing that was stuck in the grip without having a replacement in hand so I called ATI and they said they'd send me some screws and bushings. I waited for six weeks. I then called ATI again only to find out that someone had dropped the ball and the screws and bushings were never sent. I was assured it would get done right away and a few days later, I received the screws and bushings. Problem solved.

I then embarked on installing some Trijicon night sights. The military sights on the FX 45 were extremely hard to remove so I called ATI's customer service. I called several times but got customer service's voice mail every time so I left a message each time. I finally circumvented their customer service phone menu and was able to speak to a live person who assured me that the sights were not attached in any special way. I had to cut out the rear sight with my Dremel tool and a cutting disk. I had to drill out the front sight tenon to get it out. I installed my sights without no problem and they are awesome! By the way, ATI finally listened to their voice mail and I got a call back a week later.

My friend has an FX 45 GI. He saw my sights and asked me to install some on his 1911. Should be a snap, right? WRONG! I installed the front sight with no problem but when I tried to install the rear sight, the dovetail was way way way too big. It was nowhere near military specification. You'd think the measurements would be the same as my FX 45 but they were not even close. The Trijicon rear sight flopped around in that dovetail like a fish out of water. We're going to weld in some shims and try to fit that rear sight in that dovetail. Apparently, the quality control on these 1911's leaves a bit to be desired!

The saga does not end there. I then decided to Duracoat my FX 45 Military with a matte black finish. It came out way better than I expected. I love Duracoat. I waited five days for the Duracoat to cure properly before going to the range. During my shooting, my hammer cracked at the back below the thumb pad. If you pull your hammer all the way back, the thumb pad may touch the beavertail. The hammer cracked in that area right below the thumb pad across the back. I was not happy but hey, if you pay $400 for a 1911, you should expect some crappy parts. I called ATI and you guessed it, voice mail... with a twist! Their voice mailboxes were full so I couldn't even leave a message! I called three times and then went to plan B; I circumvented the voice mail system again and spoke a receptionist of some kind. I told her that when I call customer service, it goes to voice mail but their voice mail is full so I can't leave a message. She said, "Well, there are only two of them down there. They're busy." The receptionist then connected me to someone else's voice mail. I left a message (that was a couple of days ago) but I'm not expecting a callback any time soon.

Once I get my new hammer from Brownells, I'm sure I'll be happy with my FX 45 again. It's a great shooter. My minor problems became major problems because ATI's customer service is HORRIBLE! BUYER BEWARE!

Smile atifx mil

I bought mine for the basic looks and basic function thats all I desire, why else get a near milspec (except the grip screws and bushings) 1911? I don't plan on adding any technical or extra stuff. If I did I would only add a ambi safety as i shoot lefty, but honestly if you want all that stuff, just buy a 1911 from a manufacture that already has what you want or more of what your looking for. this gun out of the box has no problems, excellent deal, if you aren't picky or into customization apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    The number one thing that any 1911 owner can do to eliminate feeding issues is to get either Wilson 47D mags or Tripp Research Cobra mags. My 1911 had teething issues when new and used to make Gold Dots set back like crazy with the stock mags, in fact I had a post about it a while back, but my Wilson 47D mag and Tripp Cobra mag cured that issue and I have not had a problem since.

Chip Mccormick shooting star, and Kimpro mags work just as well and are cheaper. Consequently the ONLY mag I have that fails is my Wilson Mag. I have dozens of shooting star mags and kimpro mags and they feed flawlessly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links