Possible to justify .32 cal for self-defense?

This is a discussion on Possible to justify .32 cal for self-defense? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man, if it where me I woudlnt hesitate to take a .32 over pepper spray any day! Something larger and nicer later woudl be great ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible to justify .32 cal for self-defense?

Man, if it where me I woudlnt hesitate to take a .32 over pepper spray any day! Something larger and nicer later woudl be great but it sounds like you bought them for a nice price. And hey, once they upgrade they might be a good truck gun or just a fun shooter. I also agree with the sentiment that you go with FMJ rounds. Your going to be making a small hole, may as well make it deep. Im no ballistics expert but from what I undertand a JHP would probably not go deep enough.

I know a guy who's a civilian jailer and has quite a gun collection and is quite accomplished in building and modding 1911's. But his carry piece is very often some old, tarnished .32 something or other, I dont recall the name. He says its the most reliable tack driver he's ever had.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    If that's all you can afford right now, then it is much better than no gun at all. Also, if you give them first a .32 handgun they will learn how to shoot it first with minimal recoil and then, when you have more disposable income, you can move them up to a .380, .38spl or 9mm. I say go for it!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Question on their husbands

You indicated that all three daughters are married. Do their husbands carry? What do they carry? Do they keep a loaded gun at home? That seems to be an important component in the overall defense picture. I also agree that the husbands should be involved in picking and financing a defensive handgun for the wives.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Caliber is very important, but IMO like its been said, shot placement is the true definitive concern. If any, or all of your daughters can comfortably carry and fire the pistols you've described, than they are halfway there. The .32 is limited by several factors, but IMO can still be very effective by combining a couple of variables. One of which is skill level and (the most important one); the second would be ammo selection. I'd suggest taking a look at this site (Buffalo Bore) for that.

When I carry my PPK or Sig P238 they're loaded with the .380 equivalent to this round. It's a FMJ variant and IMO gives the smaller calibers the best attempt at good penetration and fairly good transfer of the bullets energy. The flat nose on the round adds to it's effectiveness and allows for a straighter wound cavity. Like 10th said, avoid the JHP in the smaller caliber, it'll make a nice wound, but lacks the penetration to effectively reach the vitals. What ever round you/they choose to load up with, the key to the smaller calibers IMO would be to practice firing three rounds with tight groupings at seven yards COM. Loose any thought of the "one shot stop" thing. If that can be accomplished with some proficiency, then at the very least it should provide a moment in time for um to evade and escape their attacker.

Good luck with what ever you decide and it's great to hear how open your daughters are to applying defense in their lives.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

There are some 32 calibers out there that will penetrate.
    http://brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page695.htm

Avg penetration was around 14 inches
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    There are some 32 calibers out there that will penetrate.
    http://brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page695.htm

Avg penetration was around 14 inches
    Note the recovered average diameter - does not seem that JHP round expanded...thus the good penetration.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Look at it this way, it's small and they would carry it. Better to have a small calibre gun than not have one at all.
    Bingo. My wife always carries on her body her Kel-tec P32 because she can and she shoot it great.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

100% in, it is the option at hand, I say yes

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    ...What ever round you/they choose to load up with, the key to the smaller calibers IMO would be to practice firing three rounds with tight groupings at seven yards COM. Loose any thought of the "one shot stop" thing. If that can be accomplished with some proficiency, then at the very least it should provide a moment in time for um to evade and escape their attacker...GBK
    I would actually suggest that, in a self defense situation, "tight groupings" are NOT what you want to get. There is little additional benefit to wounding an area that has been wounded already. It's probably better to spread the shots around a bit - that increases the odds of hitting a vital area.

The "zipper" strings shots vertically along the center line, to increase the odds of hitting the spine...very useful at close range (contact to a few yards distance). The "Mozambique" aims to put a few shots in the high-chest, followed by a shot or two to the head if needed. I would suggest the OP's daughters practice these drills.

I would suggest that anyone carrying any handgun (a weapon that is designed to be used with only one hand) in ANY caliber forget the idea of a "one shot stop" and practice firing a burst, using the tactics mentioned above. IMHO, too many folks put too much faith in the ability of their chosen HANDgun caliber to stop a fight. If it happens, great...but I would not count on it.

All the best!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

+1, good points, and another + on the security round to the noggin....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    The old .32's have done their job plenty of times in the years past. Just because they are not the latest or greatest, does not mean that the 32 is inadequate. There are plenty of graves in Europe who's occupants see it my way. The biggest factor still remains in that the shooter does their job.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Since you already have the CZ's, it makes sense to use those. However, they're not as light as a real pocket gun ... plus, they're not as small as a pocket gun. While you can carry them, they're about the same size as a steel .380 or a carry 9. As others have noted, there's very little recoil. My CZ-70 (a 50 with a cosmetic makeover) is pretty accurate; yours should be, too.

The CZ 50 is a nice solid gun.
    And the caliber? Well, when they start making pocket pistols in 50 BMG, upgrade!
    PT145, CZ52, PM for carry. Lots of others to look at

VIP Member
    Can't speak for on the reliability of the CZ 50. But if it lives up to the rest of the CZ family, you have 3 good shooters for your daughters. I've trusted my life to the CZ75 and CZ 82 for many years. Both models have been 100% reliable.

While not a big fan of the 32ACP for a defensive load, it is better than no gun at all. Proper shot placement should do what is needed. Remember, most European police departments relied on the .32 or the 9MM Short as standard caliber for many years, and it served them well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I used to carry a small Guardian .32 as deep conceal. Always felt better to have it than nothing.

I agree with the others about the FMJ vs. hollow point. Might want to try some of the Fiocchi 73 gr. The stuff seems hotter and more accurate than any of the other 32 ammo I tried. It was priced right at some places too.

Congrats on the great deal on your CZ's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links