Possible to justify .32 cal for self-defense?

This is a discussion on Possible to justify .32 cal for self-defense? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just went to an estate sale and picked up among other firearms, 3 CZ 50's in .32 caliber. The price for everything was $150. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible to justify .32 cal for self-defense?

Possible to justify .32 cal for self-defense?

I just went to an estate sale and picked up among other firearms, 3 CZ 50's in .32 caliber. The price for everything was $150. Coincidentally I just happen to have 3 daughters who all have their CCW's but not enough funds with starting families and such to afford their own carry weapons. Me being their father have paid for weddings, dresses, home improvements, etc....

My plan is to get them each a decent self-defense gun, just can't swing it at this point in time. They each got from Santa Claus this past Chirstmas a 20ga Remington 870 for home defense.

Can I justify at this point in time providing each of them with a CZ? I know the caliber is tiny but should the guns prove reliable and reasonably accurate (I'll clean, lube, test, replace springs and firing pins if needed), wouldn't these be better than just the pepper spray they carry now?

What do you think? I really can't afford to go out and get them more than that at this time.

oh sure, just saw that I misspelled self-defense in the title. Doh!
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

2. Remove Ads

Look at it this way, it's small and they would carry it. Better to have a small calibre gun than not have one at all.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I was also thinking that they are not so small as most pocket guns that there is acutally something to hang onto. Although recoil of the .32 in a steel gun shouldn't be bad. I've never shot one before. The reviews on these old shooters don't seem too bad.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

I've shot these pistols...imho, they recoil ike a .22. They're quite nice, and you got 'em for a song.

As for the caliber...well, as stated, it's better than nothing.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Thanks Cuda. I'm eager to get them cleaned up and out to the range. They are pretty clogged-up with grease at this time. They look like they are in pretty good shape. Do you know if its ok to dry-fire them?

The person behind the gun is the most important factor, by far. Load those things with a good FMJ bullet (forget JHPs in .32, see below) and make sure your daughters have the training AND mindset they need to defend themselves.

tests with .32 can be found here - http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/32acp/gel32acp.htm
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thanks 10thmtn. My daughter's have been real good about attending CCW class and Women's Self-Defense class and going to the range for practice with a few different firearms. I see in the chart you linked that penetration is dismal with the expanding rounds. I've read that polishing the feed ramp makes feeding JHP's reliable but what's the point if they won't penetrate? Elsewhere on this forum I've seen advocates of alternating HP's and FMJ's in .380 cal pistols. I think I get the theory. Would alternating the load in the magazine be advisable in this diminutive round also?

Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    Thanks 10thmtn. My daughter's have been real good about attending CCW class and Women's Self-Defense class and going to the range for practice with a few different firearms. I see in the chart you linked that penetration is dismal with the expanding rounds. I've read that polishing the feed ramp makes feeding JHP's reliable but what's the point if they won't penetrate? Elsewhere on this forum I've seen advocates of alternating HP's and FMJ's in .380 cal pistols. I think I get the theory. Would alternating the load in the magazine be advisable in this diminutive round also?
    No. The FBI calls for 12-15 inches of penetration, to reach the vitals from odd angles and through arms/hands. In .32, JHPs don't seem to expand much, and penetration isn't up to standard. Just use a quality FMJ.

The .380 is borderline - some JHPs in .380 can just meet the minimum 12 inches. None that I've seen meet 15. This is the reason for alternating FMJ/JHP in .380. I used to do this myself, but I now just use FMJ in .380.

A JHP bullet isn't going to turn a poorly placed shot into a stopping hit. Folks put too much emphasis on bullet design, IMHO. Shot placement matters much more than the type of bullet you're shooting.

Good luck with those girls!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I appreciate your input 10thmtn

In time you can step up to heavier artillery... in the meantime, the girls and you just need to know that the .32 is an "eye socket" gun at close range, and a deterrent or a means to buy time and distance from the threat at more than bad-breath distance. Far better than a police whistle!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I admire your process to make sure your family can protect themselves.
    A .32 beats pepper spray any day of the week.

wyo-man

I'd agree with your logic. Make do with what you have and upgrade asap when more funds are available. The fact they have the shotties at home is also nice.. And a great defensive weapon.

You are a good dad..

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    As you said, these pistols are certainly way better than nothing. If they are reliable, they would be well worth giving to them.

But honestly, regarding any future upgrades to better guns, shouldn't their husbands be seeing to their security needs at some point?

sgb
    I agree with 10thmtn 110%
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

+1 to 10thmtn.

I also advise FMJ, aiming for "soft" areas (eyes, neck, abdomen, etc.), and simply getting used to carrying daily. As stated by many, an upgrade later would be easier and better received with this route.

Good going, Dad!
    Last edited by EvilMonk; February 2nd, 2011 at 08:54 AM.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links