357 Snubbie/Taurus 605 or Charter Arms - Page 3

357 Snubbie/Taurus 605 or Charter Arms

This is a discussion on 357 Snubbie/Taurus 605 or Charter Arms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 50$ more for the Smith over the Taurus? I hope the Taurus works for ya....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 357 Snubbie/Taurus 605 or Charter Arms

50$ more for the Smith over the Taurus? I hope the Taurus works for ya.

50 bucks and less power with the 38, that's what really made up my mind for me.And it seems to be working so far Don't think they will be too many issues.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

My New Choice

I recently got this .357 Windicator distributed by EAA. I've had it for about a month and finally got it to the range. SWEET gun. Shoots well, handles .357 great and with .38spl, you hardly notice the recoil. At 250.00 it was quite affordable and it's much lighter than my 1911's.

I went with a Don Hume belt slide for a standard L frame:

I must say that I love my 1911's, but this is rapidly becoming my carry choice.
    Last edited by Dadoo; February 6th, 2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: can't type worth a darn
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Sweet like the Windicator. Have often thought about getting one myself for the price seemed like a good buy.

I have never even hear of the windicator. Maybe someone needs to start a new thread on it?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I have never even hear of the windicator. Maybe someone needs to start a new thread on it?
    Windicator (German for Vindicator) is manufactured in Germany by Weirauch (pronounced Y-Rock). They've been making these revolvers for more than 20 years, which is probably why you don't see a lot of current reviews. These guns come in .38spl or .357 and have 2" and 4" barrels. On close inspection, the only thing I found wrong was some rough metal grinding around the edge of the barrel. Another reviewer noted this and thought they had just taken a 4" barrel and cut it off. A little emery cloth will take care of that.
    The frame is solid and a bit bulky, but that helps keep a good grip on it. I sold a J-Frame Rossi .38 because it was too small for me to keep a good grip on it. The larger frame and rubber combat grips really help.
    SA trigger pull was light and smooth (I don't have a scale to measure it) and even the DA trigger pull was not too bad. I shot double taps sa/da and kept pretty consistant groups.
    The holster pictured in my earlier post is a Don Hume H721 L-Frame made to fit Colt Python or S&W 688.
    All in all. it's not a high end, high $$$ firearm, but for a good solid gun for not much money, it's a winner.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Shooting .38SP+P is quite a hot load in a snubbie. I haven't shot a .357MAG in such a small package, I can imagine its quite the "handful". I've found myself wanting the S&W M&P340, which is a .357MAG J-Frame snubbie, but I often wonder if its worth it?? (I've thought about picking up a Taurus .357MAG snubbie b/c they are rather inexpensive.)

As far as I know--Charter doesn't offer a .357MAG thats hammerless? (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
    Dont be afraid of a steel j frame size Taurus in 357... its no worse than a heavy 38 special round in my airweight smith 642. The only drawback is that it is heavier. bunker

S&W 649, I believe it is the ultimate back up pocket gun. No hammer spur to get snagged on a pocket draw. But you can still shoot single action if needed. I have carried my 649 for a couple years now. It is one gun that is with me every where. Sometimes it is primary, other times it is secondary. I wouldn't buy a snub without looking at the 649 first. The Model 60 is also a nice wheel gun.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links