Sig P239 or Kahr K9 for IWB?

This is a discussion on Sig P239 or Kahr K9 for IWB? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your opinions please?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P239 or Kahr K9 for IWB?

Your opinions please?

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Dont own a P239, but do have a K-9 that I carry from time to time. The K-9 is a fine pistol and I have had absolutely ZERO problems with it--neve a hiccup with any ammo I have fed it. I have cut back on the re-loaded lead bullets somewhat because of the Poly rifling, but never had a problem with leading in the barrel even after shooting a couple of hundred rounds. The gun carries nicely IWB with the right holster. ACCURATE is the word for these pistols.

All that said: I am sure that the P239 is also a very nice piece, as my experience with Sig has been great. Wish I could report that about every carry piece I have owned---sadly to say, I cannot.

VIP Member
    I prefer the P239 but that doesn't mean you will. Is thickness or weight a factor for you? The Sig will be heavier and thicker, but also more accurate and have less felt recoil. Quality and reliability have to go to the Sig as well. Price goes to the Kahr.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

The Kahr K9 is going to be a littler slimmer and slightly lighter than the Sig P239. They are both good guns. I would try them both IWB and take them to the range to see which one you like better.

If you're interested in the polymer P9, that's going to be almost 1/2 the weight of the Sig P239.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I have a P239 in 40S&W and a Kahr CW9 ... pretty close to the carry width of the K9. I love the Sig, and don't mind the weight at all, but the width does get a bit uncomfortable IWB. The Kahr is much more comfortable IWB in my experience, and it gets carried more (by me) while the Sig stays home.

surv

You can see on this thread that I went through a similar dilemma: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...d.php?t=118246

For IWB I wanted something thin, though, so I ruled out Sig pretty quickly (although a Sig is somewhere in my future). I've all but decided on a K9, especially since the standard K9s are now being shipped with the K9 Elite trigger that is on all of their guns.

Administrator
    Strictly on the carry portion, I'd go with the K9. The Sig is the better shooter IMO, but the Kahr is the better carrier.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The Kahr fits my hand better, but either one is a fine pistol. No bad choice here.
    Note; I think someone posted the news that the K9 now comes standard with the Elite trigger, not the longer NYPD trigger. The model number will have a "C" suffix if it has the NYPD trigger.

BTDT. I have a Sig 239 SAS Gen 2 and a Kahr P9, both are fine pistols, but for carry there's no contest, the thinner lighter Kahr wins hands down. The K9 is heavier than my P9 and the Sig 239 is heavier still. I thought the Sig was going to be my carry gun, but it is a safe and range queen. YMMV, of course.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Strictly on the carry portion, I'd go with the K9. The Sig is the better shooter IMO, but the Kahr is the better carrier.
    This is my general opinion.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Combat or LEO and big enought hands to hold it; Sig all the way. For civlian concealed carry and perhaps smaller hands, K9 rules. K9 carries better than a 1911 (and that's saying a lot); has soft recoil, best feeling grip I've ever had and the best DAO trigger of any I've ever pulled. Isn't cluttered with controls. Only a slide release. The night sights that come on those are outstanding and they are exceptionally accurate. Mags are a bit expensive and a tad harder to load but that's the only down side. The SIG is heavier and a lot thicker; that doesn't mean a lot just picking one up in a store but carrying it and shooting it alot? Well then it makes a huge difference. I also have the P9 and it's the best carry gun I've ever owned even it's it has a bit more muzzle flip than the K9 due to how light it is.

Gideon

I agree with everything that's been said....but I'll just point out one more obvious thing: the Sig P239 is MUCH prettier and has more cool factor
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    ...the Sig P239 is MUCH prettier and has more cool factor
    Maybe. But, as my mother used to say, pretty is as pretty does.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    I agree with everything that's been said....but I'll just point out one more obvious thing: the Sig P239 is MUCH prettier and has more cool factor

In other words...a better BBQ or Wedding Rehearsal gun?

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I never thought of my plain black P239 as a "pretty gun". Functional, reliable, accurate, extremely well made.... yes.... but pretty?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links