Glock 17 or 19: which would serve me better?

This is a discussion on Glock 17 or 19: which would serve me better? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The gen 4 RTF2 is a little scratchy (no holes in me or my clothes including base layer after 4mo EDC) , the part i ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 or 19: which would serve me better?

The gen 4 RTF2 is a little scratchy (no holes in me or my clothes including base layer after 4mo EDC) , the part i feel is the mag release. I think i might just file the edges a bit. Other than that i love my 19 and I would like to start some competition shooting with it, along with advance pistol classes. Since i bought it for and all around gun whereas my M&P45c gets a little expensive pouring 1000 rounds through it!

Dont forget the gen 4 has adjustable backstraps and you can switch the mag release if your lefty.

2. Remove Ads

I dont think he said he has a 26 fellas, he just stated its purpose was a "given"

VIP Member
    IMO the G19 is the best all around pistol ever made by man.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

I will agree to the "rubbing/abrasiveness" on the skin with a Gen 4 in a IWB holster. That's the only real downfall. Mine came with the 04 "Revised" spring assembly, and shoots without fault.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I believe the 19 is the best of all worlds. As far as Gen 3 vs 4, I strongly believe the 3 is better for CCW. I would not want the RTF against my skin in an IWB, or slowly abrading a hole on my shirt.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Glock 17 or 19: which would serve me better?
    If you're as indecisive as I am you'll wind up with both. I tend to prefer shooting the 17 but I must admit I carry the 19 more often.
    Attached Images

Pick up a Gen 4 19 and you will probably be able to answer your own question. If you still aren't sure ask to hold a 17 and repeat as necessary.

I have a Gen 4 G26 and absolutely love it. I carry it in a kydex/leather hybrid IWB holster and have zero issues with it. The Gen 4 isn't the RTF2. I always wear an athletic shirt under my rig and carry the pistol for 15+ hours a day with no issues.

I had a Gen 3 26 and 17 for year and eventually sold them. I just didn't like the ergonomics. I went with Kahrs for a while until I had some reliability issues... slide locking back at inopportune times. So I continued the quest.

Next stop was a Gen 3 Glock 36. I love the 45 ACP and the fact that Glocks ALWAYS go bang. I loved this pistol until my first range session. The "hump" in the grip hit the palm of my hand right where I'd had surgery and it just wasn't going to work.

I ended up doing a grip reduction on it myself and I'm glad I did. Total cost was less than $10. A already do kydex sheaths and holsters so I had most of the tools I needed. Total time invested was minimal and by God it was fun! The end result points like a 1911and while the recoil is still a little stiff this is a great carry gun.

Back to the 19 vs 17 issue. I'm having the same debate in my head as we speak... I love the Gen 4 26. I put Tru Glo TFOs on it and added a Plus 2 to the mag and have a gun that I will EDC for the foreseeable future.

The 9mm is so damn shootable! Lots of capacity and I can put the rounds where I want them. 40 really isn't a choice for me, it is either 9 or 45.

So, here is my plan... I'm going to buy either a blue box 17 or a 19 and chop the grip down to a 26. I will the holster carry the gun with a 26 +2 mag inserted and carry 2 full sized mags for reloads.

I can and do pocket carry the 26 in a Nemesis pocket holster so it will still be carried on a regular basis.

The grip mods are really no problem if you take your time.

Good luck with your choices.
    Hooah! It's an Army thing!

topsblades@gmail.com

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    IMO the G19 is the best all around pistol ever made by man.
    +1 although i love the 17 too!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Gen 3 versus 4:
    While I did not like the feel of the original RTF2 texture, nor do I have an issue with the standard grip finish, I have no objection to the Gen 4 production RTF finish. It is toned down and doesn't have that prickly pear feel of the RTF2.

While the option of the Gen 4 reversible Mag release is nice, it's a non-issue for righties.

The biggest advantage in my mind in the Gen 4 is the interchangable backstraps. It adds some measure of personal fit to the grip.

If CC is a real intent, the 19 is the better fit. With 17 mags inserted, it had the same HD capacity as the 17. The longer sight length of the 17 may possibly help for competition, but if you're serious about that, you'll end up getting another Glock for that sole purpose anyhow.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

G19

Get the 19. It's my all around pistol. Sure the 17 or 34 would be better for competition and the 26 better for ccw. Why not meet in the middle and go with the 19. Concealable, shootable, big enough to get a good grip on. For me competition is practice for the event none of us want to participate in. I compete with my GLOCK 19 concealed in my CBST. I'm not competing to win, I'm competing to prepare to win when it really matters. Good luck with your decision, you're choosing between 2 of the best 9x19 pistols on the planet so you can't make a bad choice but you can make a better choice (19) hint hint.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    [/B]

Yeah, I don't get it either. I've had no problems with the GEN 4 RTF when carried IWB, and that's predominately how I carry.
    I think the grip texture is a small issue compared to the issues with the recoil springs on the Gen 4's
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I heard a lot of griping and whining about the dual recoil springs when the Gen 4s first came out, but I haven't read much of it lately unless it's rehash of the old, which is the problem with the internet--yesterday's complaints live forever, regardless of whether or not they still apply.

Is there any basis of complaints of Gen 4s manufactured in the last, say, six months?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Gen 3 19 for me..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The 26, 19, and 17 were optimized for different purposes. The 26 is basically carrty only. The 19 is general purpose, carry and home defense. The 17 can be carried (not by me) but is a great home defense and competition pistol.

I have a Gen 3 19 that I bought first because of it's all-around functionality. It has a light rail for home defense, it can be carried, I shoot it well, it's been reliable as gravity. 4 years later I bought a Gen 3 Glock 26 to carry in place of the 19. I haven't carried the 19 since I brought the 26 home from it's reliability test at the range.

I think, if a person is going to have a 26 for sure (you wrote it's a "given"), the second gun is for HD and competition. In that case, 17 is a better HD and competition gun than the 19. The 17 is more than I'm willing to carry around all day every day, but it's an excellent home defense and IDPA gun. While the 19 may be the best general purpose defense pistol made, IMO, the 26 is better for concealed carry and the 17 is better for home defense and competition.

For competition only, not home defense (no light rail) or carry (too big), the Glock 34 is as good as it gets.

Fitch

PS: The Gen 4 finish is hard on 69 year old chicken-skin hands - too abrasive. I made sure my 26 was Gen 3.

frw
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

If you watched Hickok45 on YouTube, he recently did a review of the current gen4 19. There were no issues with the spring, and the new texture IS NOT that bad on the current production models. He tested over a thousand rounds of a variety of ammo and concluded the only issues were with low powered ammo, not the springs. Problems associated with the gen4 are alot of inet misinformation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links