Glock 17 or 19: which would serve me better? - Page 3

Glock 17 or 19: which would serve me better?

This is a discussion on Glock 17 or 19: which would serve me better? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As everyone else has already said, carry the G26 and keep the G19 for home defense and competition. Get a Gen4, as the reduced recoil ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glock 17 or 19: which would serve me better?

As everyone else has already said, carry the G26 and keep the G19 for home defense and competition. Get a Gen4, as the reduced recoil will also help in competition.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Going to a gun shop to compare the two tomorrow. I would like it to be used for hd, ccw and compete in future GSSF events. The 26 is already a given, so I am trying to decide between these two. I will tackle the gen 3 vs gen 4 issue while looking tomorrow as well. Feel free to give advice.
    If you are definitely also getting the 26, then the 17 will offer you the most benefits in relation to it. It will be far better for shooting at GSSF events, and also be the better gun for home defense.

If your hands are a bit large, you will find that you will be able to get a much more secure grip on the G17.

There is only one original Glock. The rest are all just compromises.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I heard a lot of griping and whining about the dual recoil springs when the Gen 4s first came out, but I haven't read much of it lately unless it's rehash of the old, which is the problem with the internet--yesterday's complaints live forever, regardless of whether or not they still apply.
    I have a TRIPLE Recoil Spring Guide Rod from DPM Systems in my G17. It has two external springs outside the guide, and one internal one inside it. And it has been totally reliable.

Besides, virtually all companies are using dual recoil springs on their latest designs these days. So it is definitely proven technology at this date and time. Any notion that multi spring guides don't work as well is definitely not at all true.

Here is a photo of the DPM Systems unit in my G17:

Here is a diagram showing the internal design inside:

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    A third gen G19 is on my short list to buy.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    A third gen G19 is on my short list to buy.

I couldn't gather the $$$ fast enough to get mine after shooting and carrying my 26. Good luck Doc!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

If you intend to use it for home defense and competition, I'd go with the G17. Higher ammo capacity for HD and the longer barrel, longer grip give you added control for competitive shooting. If you also plan to carry the gun, then the G19 would be the better choiuce, being a bit shorter and therefore, easier to conceal. If you already have a G26 for carry, then the choice is easy, G17.

The 19 and 17 point differently for most folks. Shut your eyes and point each one at the wall, then open your eyes and look down the sights. The 17 generally will have a higher muzzle placement than the 19. Pick whichever one that has the sights automatically lined up for you the closest with your natural grip angle.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I have both....19 gets the vote for carry.....the 17 is for night stand duty or fun at the range.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

And there you have it. After 38 different opinions, I'm sure it narrowed down for you, lol. All the advice is good here, but it truely reenforces the fact that it boils down to what feels and works best for you. You really can't go wrong either way, I mean, it's a Glock.

My 17 carries about as easily as a 19 and is dreamy to shoot. After buying every handgun ever made the Glock 17, Ruger SP101 and S&W 442 are the only ones I didn't sell.
    That's just me, though.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Air,Land&Sea View Post
    My 17 carries about as easily as a 19 and is dreamy to shoot. After buying every handgun ever made the Glock 17, Ruger SP101 and S&W 442 are the only ones I didn't sell.
    That's just me, though.
    I think if I had to get rid of all but 3, those would be my choices as well.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    And there you have it. After 38 different opinions, I'm sure it narrowed down for you, lol. All the advice is good here, but it truely reenforces the fact that it boils down to what feels and works best for you. You really can't go wrong either way, I mean, it's a Glock.

His other option would be to grow more muscles, and get a Glock 29:

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I think the grip texture is a small issue compared to the issues with the recoil springs on the Gen 4's
    It's a simple fix to call Glock and have them mail you a new spring if you're inclined. I've personally never experienced any sort of malfunctions with either of the Gen 4's I've owned, although I can see where the spring strength of the 9mm's might cause problems for reloaders who load "light" loads. I do not reload though, so all I've used is either of them is WWB 115 grain, federal champion 115 grain, and Golden Sabre 124 grain. 300 rounds through the 19 so far since I got it in Janurary, and approximately 1200 through the 17 before I traded it, is my round count so far.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    My order of glocks
    1.) 19
    2.) 29
    3.) 30
    4.) 23
    5.) Everything else.

I don't like the 26 or the 27 because I like the 19 and 23 better and I can CC anything short of the full size with no issue at all.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

OD*
    I have both, a Gen4 17 and a Gen3 19. If I weren't allowed to modify the frame of a G19 (remove the finger rests and flatten the back strap), I would choose the G17, it just fits my hand better in stock condition.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links