Glock 17 or 19: which would serve me better?

This is a discussion on Glock 17 or 19: which would serve me better? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going to a gun shop to compare the two tomorrow. I would like it to be used for hd, ccw and compete in future GSSF ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 or 19: which would serve me better?

Glock 17 or 19: which would serve me better?

Going to a gun shop to compare the two tomorrow. I would like it to be used for hd, ccw and compete in future GSSF events. The 26 is already a given, so I am trying to decide between these two. I will tackle the gen 3 vs gen 4 issue while looking tomorrow as well. Feel free to give advice.

2. Remove Ads

I would go with the G19 since it's a little easier to conceal. It's still big enough that you will do well in GSSF and other Action Pistol competition. The G19 is pretty much just as accurate as the G17, but the G17 has a little longer sight radius, but that shouldn't be much of a handicap. Go to youtube and search on G19 and see how many shoot well with a G19.

I've carried both over the last 10 months. I'd personally go with the 19 over the 17 for your intents. It will conceal a slight bit better, it's a fine home defense firearm (especially with attached UTL, my personal pick is the Streamlight TLR-1s for my HD firearms), and it will serve you fine in competition.

Although, I would consider a 34 (or a 17L if you can find one) down the line as a dedicated competition gun.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I believe the 19 is the best of all worlds. As far as Gen 3 vs 4, I strongly believe the 3 is better for CCW. I would not want the RTF against my skin in an IWB, or slowly abrading a hole on my shirt.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Depends on how serious you are about shooting competition. If you are rank that top reason first then get the 17 trust me more weight, longer sight radius is better for competing. If you are just shooting competition to improve on your carrying skills and won't be doing it much, then the 19.

But in all seriousness, if you have a 26, just get the 17 and use the mags in the 26 for that high capacity. I really am kicking myself in the butt for not getting the biggest longest model for competition. rather I went for that mid-size or medium size and it is just ok. Not going to win anything big with it.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Chalk me up as a G19 proponent as well.

That's just me. CCW, HD, possiable competion......the 19 is the way to go.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Glock-19/3rd Gen...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    My vote goes to the G-19 3rd Gen.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Administrator
    19 if its to be a jack of all trades.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I chose the 17. If the longer site radius and in general ease of use is better for competion, why not use the same advantage for something as important as SD? You already have the 26 so there's your easy concealment, when you need that. When you take a 19 and lay it on top of a 17, you will see there's not much difference. Pick the one you really want on you when the shtf. Then you will know.

Also, the gen 4 texture has been scaled back, so it's really not that abrasive like the early ones were. Really don't see an issue there.

You gotta hold them both. There is a difference.
    Me? I like my 17. I have several G 17 mags with +2 extensions on them.
    It's an incredible weapon.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    You already have a Glock 26 so that pretty much takes care of concealment. Therefore, I would get a Glock 17 for higher mag capacity for Home Defense and it has a longer sight radius for competition shooting. Plus, it was the 17 that started it all at Glock. Or even better, buy them both!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I would go with the Glock 19. Like others have said you will only lose a little sight radius, and unless you really need it for longer range shooting it won't serve much of a purpose at normal defensive ranges. I went with a Glock 23 over the 22 due to the size and its easier to conceal. I just bought a few Glock 22 mags to had those few extra rounds to the pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I chose the 17. If the longer site radius and in general ease of use is better for competion, why not use the same advantage for something as important as SD? You already have the 26 so there's your easy concealment, when you need that. When you take a 19 and lay it on top of a 17, you will see there's not much difference. Pick the one you really want on you when the shtf. Then you will know.

Also, the gen 4 texture has been scaled back, so it's really not that abrasive like the early ones were. Really don't see an issue there.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I've had no problems with the GEN 4 RTF when carried IWB, and that's predominately how I carry.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

IF you have the G26 already, then the G17 is the logical choice cause you want it for comp also. IF you don't, then the G19 can be your all around. OR, just buy all three!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links