Novak "Answer"

Novak "Answer"

This is a discussion on Novak "Answer" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read in a gun magazine about the Novak "Answer", which seems to be a one piece back strap. If I read the article correctly, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novak "Answer"

Novak "Answer"

I read in a gun magazine about the Novak "Answer", which seems to be a one piece back strap. If I read the article correctly, the "Answer" replaces existing back strap, engages the grip safety internally full time and removes the possibility that the pistol will not fire due to too high of a grip or not holding the pistol tight enough. Any one have opinions on this back strap and if using it makes a pistol less safe? If you think it would be less safe, why?

Click Here To Go To The Site & See It.

add active link (qkshooter)

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Some purists might not like the idea, but I have no problem with it. I never really cared for a grip safety anyway, but accomodated it.

However, I do own a Ballester-Molina .45 and they were made without the grip safety. I'm used to it.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

JD
    Administrator
    Personally I like the grip safety for the fact that you'll need a firm grip which I feel helps accuracy, however you'll basically relying on the thumb safety only, I would not recommend this untill you feel you have mastered the 1911 to begin with, once again IMHO a neglegent discharge (sooner or later they happen) would be more likely.

Administrator
    Actually it's a "remake" of a very old idea.
    The one piece back strap & mainspring housing that completely eliminated the "grip safety" was commercially available Many Many moons ago.

Great for a range gun but, I would not defeat any semi-auto pistol safety functions on a self~defense carry firearm due to possible legal ramifications. Just my opinion on that for me personally.

JD
    Administrator

legality

QK brings up a very good point, in this day and age police departments don't like to hire anyone who likes to shoot and people are being sued for having too good of a trigger job.

Has anyone here ever had a 1911 not fire because of the grip safety?

I've never heard of it happen, and I've never heard of anyone complain about the grip safety (only complaint about that area of the gun I've ever heard of is being bit by the hammer with a mil-spec beaver tail).

JD
    Administrator

yep

Unfortunately I have, usually it's from a loose resulting in the grip safety not being fully pressed in. I've only seen it happen once with a novice-intermediate shooter and wasn't fully aware of the 1911's controls. This is the same guy that tried to tell me how to hold a pistol from the one day class he had at Camp Perry, and thought himself an expert . Funny isn't it?

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    No thanks, Browning made the 1911 with a grip safety for a reason and I intend to keep mine. If I was going to modify the safeties I would put on the kit that Cylinder&Slide sells that allows you to carry Cocked and Locked with the hammer down. Deactivate the safety, the hammer cocks and your good to go.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Actually it's a "remake" of a very old idea.
    The one piece back strap & mainspring housing that completely eliminated the "grip safety" was commercially available Many Many moons ago.

Great for a range gun but, I would not defeat any semi-auto pistol safety functions on a self~defense carry firearm due to possible legal ramifications. Just my opinion on that for me personally.

Very good point Chris....
    I agree, no valid reason to disable any safety mechanisms in today's litigious society....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I never use the thumb safety.
    So the grip safety is sort of my only safety.
    Condition 0, gee it's just like a Glock

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Nope ill pass actively disabling the safety of a gun ..

Interesting part, but I also don't have any problems with the grip safety, so might as well leave it alone.

If you're having problems engaging the grip safety, get one with a bump, like the Ed Brown Memory Groove: http://www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlo...08958241532660

Quote Originally Posted by torrejon224
    No thanks, Browning made the 1911 with a grip safety for a reason
    Funny though, Browning did leave it off of the improved pistol he designed in 1935 that has the same basic mode of function. Also known as the Browning Hi-Power. One less thing for me to worry about.
    I believe the right to bear arms is not only a 2nd Amendment right. I believe it is a basic human right. All people should be able to protect themselves and property.

Quote Originally Posted by smorgan
    Funny though, Browning did leave it off of the improved pistol he designed in 1935
    that was a pretty good trick considering that JMB died in 1926.

the P35 (which later became the high power) started out as JMBs final design, but he didnt complete it. for the record however, (according to m1911.org) JMB was dead set against the grip safety on the 1911. he added it only because the army required it, specifically at the request of the horseback cavalry. i can look up the specifics if requested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links