Converted to the dark side. Nahh, but close.

Converted to the dark side. Nahh, but close.

This is a discussion on Converted to the dark side. Nahh, but close. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been in the hunt for a new gun. I was seriously looking at a PT845 from Taurus, I haven't heard anything bad about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Converted to the dark side. Nahh, but close.

I have been in the hunt for a new gun. I was seriously looking at a PT845 from Taurus, I haven't heard anything bad about the gun. Again the gun, lets not get into the company thing, I know what lots of folks feel about that. Anyway, I was also considering an XD. Basically I wanted something in 45 that wasn't another 1911 that I could carry if need be, but more than likely serve as a gun for USPSA later this year and range gun. Besides, you can't really have too many guns can you?

Well last weekend when we were at the range, a buddy had his XD 45 out with us, so I ran a couple of mags throught it, and it shot pretty well. Steel plates at 60/65 feet were no problem from the start. Grip felt good, size is about the same as my 24/7 etc.

On Wednesday I took some more target stands down to the gun shop/range where we teach our CHL classes. Got to shooting the bull with the guy, played with a couple of Sigs, the 220 felt pretty good in my hand, didn't really like the price though. Maybe one day. Anyway, was looking back at the XD's and pulled out a 4inch and the guy said that was a used one that probably didn't have 200 rds through it. Come to find out it belonged to a guy that took our CHL class back in Aug, and for whatever reason he traded it in on something else. It certainly looked like it was barely used. Anyway, walked out yesterday without a new gun.

Well today I went back and picked it up. Called him this morning and told him to pull it out of the shelf and put it back for me, I would be there after work. I don't feel too bad about it, since on Monday a guy came in to the office which we had fired as a client previously, but he needed to get his employees their W-2 forms and year end reports to the feds, state ect. He didn't pay his bill in full, but I did get about half of what he owed me for doing a little more work. Still money ahead from what he paid versus what the XD 45 cost.

NO, I will not be converted to the dark side of Glock, they just don't fit me. I guess XD is about as close as I will ever get.

All the gear is there, doesn't look like it was ever used, and I am sure I won't use it. The top of the barrel has some of the coating off, and there is one little mark on the left side of the slide. Other than that, it basically is new. One of the magazines doesn't look like it has been inserted into the gun yet.

Last edited by farronwolf; February 3rd, 2011 at 10:26 PM.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member
    The XD has always interested me.

I'm another 1911 guy whose hands don't like the ergonomics of the Glock. How does the XD feel?

We own 2 XD pistols, both in .40 cal. My wife's EDC is an XD .40 sub compact and my XD is a .40 cal service sized model. (4 inch barrel) I really like them alot. I just find the XD a bit bulkier to carry than my Glock 23.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    The XD has always interested me.

I'm another 1911 guy whose hands don't like the ergonomics of the Glock. How does the XD feel?
    It feels good. Surprisingly it is about the same grip angle as my 24/7, PT111 and 1911. To me this means that it is a much more natural point onto target than the Glocks. The grip size feels much smaller than a G21 for the same number of rounds in 45 acp. The grip safety is a non issue since it disappears into the grip when you grab the gun.

The thumb index pad isn't even close to where my thumb is when I grip it. I tend to use a very high grip and my thumbs are usually right at a level where the slide/frame meet. I think this will be a non issue when shooting.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I had decided on the Glock 23, but when I got to the gun store, SA XD40 SC felt better. I love it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Congrats on the new to you XD. I have found mine to be my favorite out of my several hand guns. It fits my hand really well and is a natural pointer like my 1911. Mine is a 40 cal. I am waiting to see if the come out with the XDM 45 in a compact size before making my next XD move.

phew. you scared me. I thought you were gonna buy a glock. XDs rock

Congrats on your gun, I just dont like the balance on those guns and the overall feel. I like my Glock. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Congrats! I am a huge XD fan. At one point I had two XD9 4" guns, but sold one. Now I'm looking for another XD9 to make a nice pair, although I'm hoping to have a nice family of them some day :D
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "The thumb index pad isn't even close to where my thumb is when I grip it."

Somehow, I don't think gun makers yet realize not all hands are the same size. Still, sounds like it's working out for you. Enjoy!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    It feels good. Surprisingly it is about the same grip angle as my 24/7, PT111 and 1911. To me this means that it is a much more natural point onto target than the Glocks.
    Good to hear! This is exactly what I was thinking would be the case when I first saw the taller, straighter grips on it.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    The thumb index pad isn't even close to where my thumb is when I grip it. I tend to use a very high grip and my thumbs are usually right at a level where the slide/frame meet. I think this will be a non issue when shooting.
    I've noticed that this is fairly common, at least with 1911 shooters. Probably due to high-grip beavertails that are fairly standard on modern 1911s. I don't think my thumb is ever anywhere near the trigger area, except to drop a mag.

Very good looking XD 45 OP. Congratulations.

Let us know how she shoots.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    that mark you were talking about is identical to the one on the side of my XDM, possibly thats the first place they wear, i know after being carried for a year my XDM is showing a little wear
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    that mark you were talking about is identical to the one on the side of my XDM, possibly thats the first place they wear, i know after being carried for a year my XDM is showing a little wear
    Does the mark happen to line up with any friction points in the stock holster?

+1 to all of the comments above. Congratulations on your purchase.

My first CCW purchases bounced around a bit as I was trying to not spend much money. After carrying the Taurus, the Kel-tec and even a Hi Point, I gave them all up after slipping an XD into my hand at the LGS. The fit was unbelievably comfortable and I just KNEW that that XD had found a home. Now, two XD's and two SA 1911's later, I am so glad I didn't force myself the like the Glocks that I had borrowed and rented to try out. They just didn't feel good. I'm not brand-bashing, just stating the facts for my personal preference. There is nothing I shoot better or am more comfortable/capable with.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links