What will be my S&W 3913 replacement single stack 9

This is a discussion on What will be my S&W 3913 replacement single stack 9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Smith and Wesson is discontinuing the 3rd gen series. I have a 3913 that I have owned, shot and carried for over 10 years. I ...

Smith and Wesson is discontinuing the 3rd gen series. I have a 3913 that I have owned, shot and carried for over 10 years. I guess my question is what will I replace it with if the time comes. I realize alot of the following comes from years of ownership but. I find when I grab my 3913 my hand is there on the grip. There being the sweet spot. I assume I will prefer a single stack.When I draw my Glock 26 I have to roll my hand around and find myself sweeping myself. I find my 3913 accurate, comfortable, reliable, easy to carry and easy to shoot. I wonder what else out there will be similar in size and function. I like the DA/SA but its not mandantory. I find I prefer DA revolvers over SA so a DAO on this wouldnt be a no sale. I would prefer under $500.00 and it doesnt have to be new. I am fine with and actually prefer 9mm.

I have shot a 3913, very nice pistol. It should out last you! I carry a Kahr CW9. Mine was $425 out the door. Bud's has the CW9 for $400 or less. The CW9 is a reliable, thin, light, compact, striker fired pistol. I have 1,000 trouble free rounds shot through this pistol. The gun weighs 21 ounces loaded with 7+1. As a lefty I like the this pistol! Also the best double action trigger I have used. Shoot one and you will be sold!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Well I would first suggest the Kahr CW9 for you price rangeor a lttle more money for fit and finish, then it would be the P9. You could probably find a nice Sig p6/225 for that price range. Stepping up in price considerably would get you a sweet Sig P239.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Just buy a second and third. With 2 or 3 they will last your life time and your kids life time.

Smith 3rd Gen guns are fantastic.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Just buy a second and third. With 2 or 3 they will last your life time and your kids life time.

That seems to be an ideal solution. I carried a 3913 off duty for years while my on duty was a 5906. Then the department went to Glocks and well you know how that goes. Waiting for my Side Guard Minimal Clip to arrive in the next few weeks for my G-36.

P26100833.jpg

G-23 G-36 G-19
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post

Thats what I's suggest too. If you are happy with it, stick with it. The 3913's are greats. I 've done the same with my 228's. I have several of them "moth balled" just in case my primary dies for whatever reason.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I too have a 3913 but there are few single stacks out there that will fit the bill. Why not get one of the newer generation smith's like the Chiefs special.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've got the bigger brother, a 4566, and I find it points more naturally than my Glock. I'd say, unless you're just looking to replace it, it will serve you for many years to come.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I had a 3913 and started to suggest you buy another, but I got a fellign you just wanted an excuse to buy a new one...LOL Nothing wrong with that.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I had a 3913 and started to suggest you buy another, but I got a fellign you just wanted an excuse to buy a new one...LOL Nothing wrong with that.
    That is a perfectly good solution to recommend to him: simply buy another one used, and keep it as a backup, in case his primary gun ever fails.

Here is a real nice stainless 3913 in outstanding condition for $475 on gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=213967366

He might, though, find the new Kimber Solo to be intriguing, since it is also an all metal gun.

The Solo would be nice, it's couple hundred over budget but shot one last week Good luck on your search

I think the S&W 908 is the "value" model of the 3913. Might check one out.
    As mentioned, the CS9 is a sleeper, too.

wyo-man

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    First gun that came to mind in single stack: Sig 239

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I love my Glocks, Colts, Sigs, Brownings, and others, but Smith & Wesson semi-autos have never quite hit a sweet spot with me like their revolvers. I say that after having and carrying many on duty and off over the last 20 years, including the 5906 and 3913NL. With that said, you ask what else is out there to compare to the 3913? I say...NOTHING. It is arguably the best semi-auto handgun they've ever made, and perhaps one of the best single stack 9mm's ever produced. Bold statement, I know, but they really are a perfect storm in design and function. I think you will, and should, buy another single stack 9mm because your curious and you want to, that's only natural; just like the rest of us here. But, I'd be the bank that your 3913 will keep coming back to your hip. JM2C.
    Last edited by ejes; February 5th, 2011 at 09:22 AM.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    First gun that came to mind in single stack: Sig 239
    If one looked hard and long enough, you could probably find a used P239 in decent shape for $500.

He would probably have a better chance, though, just getting another 3913.

Links