Kimber ammo problem - Page 2

Kimber ammo problem

This is a discussion on Kimber ammo problem within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Kimber Compact CDP II eats anything and everything, sweetest 1911 I have ever owned. I sweated it out for a year before i bought ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber ammo problem

My Kimber Compact CDP II eats anything and everything, sweetest 1911 I have ever owned. I sweated it out for a year before i bought it because of all that I heard about them, and the first 500 rounds I was sure at anytime that it would start to act up. But no, ran like a top.. I am using Kimber mags.
    CCRIDER
    Kimber Compact CDP II, Sig 220 Carry Elite, Colt New Agent,

Sig Customer Service, Stinks!

"The more I know about people the more I like my dog."

I know my MS housing is plastic. I had the gun completely apart the other night and noted that. Why use a plastic housing ? If I was to change it out anyone have any suggestions as to what? And what's something like that run price wise. Money is a factor anymore
    I dont believe in fate, I believe in odds.

I run stock Kimber mags in mine with no problem. My experience with Kimber (I own 3 total) is the internal extractor models (one of mine). My brother had same problem with a brand new CDP Pro until he reworked the extractor and now it's perfect. Kimber for some reason can not for the life of them tune an extractor correctly in my opinion. I would almost bet that if you give it to a competent 1911 smith and let him tune the extractor properly it will work correctly afterwards. Or you could learn to do it yourself, it's not overly complicated and will go a long ways in making that pistol work like it should.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE410 View Post
    I know my MS housing is plastic. I had the gun completely apart the other night and noted that. Why use a plastic housing ? If I was to change it out anyone have any suggestions as to what? And what's something like that run price wise. Money is a factor anymore
    I would not sweat the plastic MSH unless you just can't hack it or have had issues. It's a 30-40 dollar part if you want to replace it latter.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Im gonna give the ammo and new mag a shot, I had the extractor out the other night as well to give it a good cleaning. Maybe itll shoot better.......maybe not :( Hopefully the ammo and mags solve the problems because I gotta say, I do really like the size/feel of this gun and with 8 rounds of .45 it should be a great carry peice if I can just make it reliable enough.

I have had trouble with many HP rounds feeding in my Tactical Custom. I went with Wilson ETM mags and Remington 230gr HP (not Golden Sabre) and haven't had a problem since.

You shouldn't have to buy a $40 dollar magazine to make a $1200 gun work. I was just saying I use Wilson mags because they have always worked but Kimber needs to make it right for you. Send the gun back or trade it even steven for a "Commander" size or Procarry model, but don't pay another cent. I still support my original statement though in that the 45acp round isn't made for the "Officer" sized frames. I don't care what type of firearm it is the majority of year's I have read about issue's with 1911's it was with magazine's however the Officer sized 1911's are the worst. Another 3quarter's of an inch won't make that much difference for concealed carry. As for magazine's before you go off and get expensive Wilson mag's if you are just set on keeping the Ultra try Eight Round (not 10) Chip Mccormick mags and the little secret i'll share the even lower cost "Mecgar Magazines"..
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

I have always had trouble with Kimbers and JHP rounds but I love the way they shoot.. Both have been to Kimber and a local smith at least 3X to fix. The magazine switch works also in some cases. I actually replace all my Wilson mag springs with Wolfe after a short time. Kimber used to give a list of about 6 self defense rounds they would reccommend. If concerned try Pow-R-Ball with the round nose it feeds superbly. On a perconal note I prefer Wilson's to McCormicks due to the Wilson polymer follower and occasionally the McCormicks have issue with some magwells.

I recommend the Kimber Pro Tac Mags. I've used them for years and have yet to have any issues with them in any of my 1911's (Kimber, Springfield and Sig). They cost about the same as any of the other "premium" mags (Wilson Combat, Trip, etc.).

Good luck!

I just checked my usual places i go if i get stuff offline and there seems to be a shortage of eight round magazines at both Mid-way USA and Cheaper than Dirt but the good news is the Wilson Combat Mags wen't down in price or stayed the same and Mec-gar that used to be a bargain i knew it would be a matter of time because of how awesome they are and not many knew about them apparently they got the memo because their prices are jacked up now.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    My first two Kimbers, purchased new in 1997, would ONLY run reliably with Metalform 7-round magazines, except that one also favored one particular Colt mag. Yes, I tried Wilsons.

My third Kimber, purchased later, but still pre-Series II, with the traditional internal extractor, would ONLY work with McCormick Power Mags.

The Series 80 Colt Government Models I owned during the same time frame were reliable, and not picky about magazines, though I did not try them with the Kimber mags.

It looks like Kimber still hasn't figured out how to build magazines.

I dumped all of my Kimbers by 2002, and have been "tellin' ya so" to folks ever since.

Well heres a little update. Got my Wilson Mag and tried to run Gold dots again.......no luck. Got some Hornady Critical defense as well, same damn problems. The rounds always get stuck trying to feed in to the chamber. Ive had 100-200 rounds of FMJ through it and have had NO problems, so this is just a hollow point problem. Anyway Im about done messing with this thing. I currently carry but only with ball ammo. The gun is such an awesome size and soooo easy to carry. Im really upset its so temprimental. At any rate I think when tax money comes back I may trade for a Micro compact from Springfield. Ive alway liked springfield and owned a few of them. I always DISLIKED kimber but thought it was a good deal at the shop so figured Id give it a go. Well unless this is a common problem with 3 inch 1911 Im not impressed with Kimber. Ive read quite a few reviews now and it seems like some are lucky and get a good gun, while others such as my self, end up gettin a dud.

Anyway Im leaning towards a springer now, anyone shine some light on the possible problems Id have with that?? Same sort of issue since its a compact 1911?

JD
    Administrator
    Sen the gun back to Kimber before you go trading it off, if you're not happy with it let them know.

I always DISLIKED kimber but thought it was a good deal at the shop so figured Id give it a go. Well unless this is a common problem with 3 inch 1911 Im not impressed with Kimber. Ive read quite a few reviews now and it seems like some are lucky and get a good gun, while others such as my self, end up gettin a dud.
    I've been saying that for years....

Im gonna give the ammo and new mag a shot, I had the extractor out the other night as well to give it a good cleaning. Maybe itll shoot better
    This will not correct your problem. Have the extractor "tuned". The radius's are not correct on the surfaces that contact the rim of the cartridge as they feed out of the magazine most likely. Tension may or may not be correct, but is less likely to be the problem. If you get the extractor correct I'm pretty sure your problems will go away. Here is a link to one of the best explanations to what your extractor should look like and how it it should funtion. http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmith/extractor.html
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

I see what your sayin with the extractor now, But why would it only be a problem with the hollow points? The fact that it runs the FMJ with no problems makes me tend to think thats not the problem.

I would get ahold of kimber and send it back if I knew it wasn't gonna be a hassle, but from everything I hear the only thing worse then some of the guns is there customer service :( As of right now Im ok with the gun I guess, like I said it runs ball ammo fine. Just wish I had more options for a defensive round thats alll.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links