Kimber ammo problem

This is a discussion on Kimber ammo problem within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ball ammo is a lot more forgiving when all the tolerances aren't where they should be. A nose dive with ball ammo can mostly be ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kimber ammo problem

Ball ammo is a lot more forgiving when all the tolerances aren't where they should be. A nose dive with ball ammo can mostly be overcome by the momentum of the slide where a hollow point with it's nice sharp edges may not work. The alloy feed ramps on the kimbers tend to add even more to the problem. Without reading through the entire thread again my question would be was this gun purchased new or used?
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    I run stock Kimber mags in mine with no problem. My experience with Kimber (I own 3 total) is the internal extractor models (one of mine). My brother had same problem with a brand new CDP Pro until he reworked the extractor and now it's perfect. Kimber for some reason can not for the life of them tune an extractor correctly in my opinion. I would almost bet that if you give it to a competent 1911 smith and let him tune the extractor properly it will work correctly afterwards. Or you could learn to do it yourself, it's not overly complicated and will go a long ways in making that pistol work like it should.
    Same here. I have an Ultra CDP II in 9mm. I finally had a qualified pistolsmith tune the extractor, it now runs like a top.

Gun is used. Ill see about takin it to my local smith. What's a extractor job cost? I'll have to muster up the guts tho. I'm pretty sure my smith hates kimbers. I'm sure he's gonna give me greaf lol
    I dont believe in fate, I believe in odds.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE410 View Post
    Gun is used. Ill see about takin it to my local smith. What's a extractor job cost? I'll have to muster up the guts tho. I'm pretty sure my smith hates kimbers. I'm sure he's gonna give me greaf lol
    Seriously, at least call Kimber and see what they say. If they give you a load of bull do whatever you want, but at least try to save yourself some $$$ and have them fix the gun. I'm not 100% sold on the extractor idea as the Critical Def. you tried has a pretty generous profile. If those are hanging up you've got issues. You'd heard about issues with Kimbers before and bought the gun anyway don't ignore sound advice a second time around and let Kimber try and repair it at least once before you pass a problem gun off to someone else or pay for the repairs yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE410 View Post
    I see what your sayin with the extractor now, But why would it only be a problem with the hollow points? The fact that it runs the FMJ with no problems makes me tend to think thats not the problem.

I would get ahold of kimber and send it back if I knew it wasn't gonna be a hassle, but from everything I hear the only thing worse then some of the guns is there customer service :( As of right now Im ok with the gun I guess, like I said it runs ball ammo fine. Just wish I had more options for a defensive round thats alll.
    Try the CORBON PowerBall. It has a hardball configuration and impressive performance.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

If your going to own a 1911, at some point your going to have to know the difference between an extractor and an ejector, know how to take one out and tune it and you will then clearly understand the way the gun works. And how it interacts with the Magazine too. There are TONS of online tutorials at your disposal. Do it. Its really quite easy.

And depending on what they use I would replace that Extractor with a real one made of spring steel like one from Cylinder and Slide. If its MIM then ditch it. its the one part most importantly should be made of the right steel.

What JD said about contacting Kimber may also be a good idea. Personally I have had no luck with Kimber CS, that's why I learned to work on my own. Don't hurt to give them a call though. One other thing to check on a used gun is that no one has already backyard gunsmithed the feed ramp to the non funtional point. I had this on a used Kimber CDP Pro that I bought then had to have a steel ramp insert installed to bring back to specs. This is what a correct feed ramp to barrel relation should look like to funtion properly.

"Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Ooops my bad. It just occurred to me you have an ultra carry. That has a ramped barrel and not the standard feed ramp. Pretty hard to screw one of them up, but probably not impossibe. Sorry for the confusion with my last post. I would still take a good look at it and I would think it would be fairly evident in someone had been grinding on it.

I am normally a Glock or Colt 1911 type of guy.

I just purchased a used Kimber Tac Pro II, my first Kimber, It is trying to become my EDC.

In searching for a defensive load I have settled on the Speer Gold Dot PD ammo. The .45 ACP, 230 Gr, GDHP ammo is the one my Kimber approves of.
    In benchrest testing it at 15 yards, it put 5 rounds into a small group that I could cover outside to outside with a silver dollar.
    No failures to feed Etc. I was using a 8 round CM magazine with a Wilson follower. The best it will do so far with handloads, 200 grain bullet,cast from wheelweights, using the RCBS 452460 mold and 4.0 grains of Bullseye is around 2 inches at 15 yards.

In addition to some of the replies. . . If you must use hardball then try Federals Expanding Full Metal Jacket. Should solve your problems.

It really shouldn't matter that the pistol is used. Call Kimber, describe the problem and see what they suggest.

Put the ball in their court. Good luck.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I own an Ultra Carry as well. It doesn't like gold dots at all. Any hollow point with a narrower tip runs through it no problem. I have a few boxes of Critical Defense in the safe. I haven't shot it yet but I took a two rounds chambered them dozens of times a piece and had no hangups at all. It's all I can do for now, since the place I shoot doesn't ever have any .45 ammo, and you can only use ammo you buy from them in their range. Understandable but I have to order some boxes of Critical Defense so I can actually shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberUltra View Post
    I own an Ultra Carry as well. It doesn't like gold dots at all. Any hollow point with a narrower tip runs through it no problem. I have a few boxes of Critical Defense in the safe. I haven't shot it yet but I took a two rounds chambered them dozens of times a piece and had no hangups at all. It's all I can do for now, since the place I shoot doesn't ever have any .45 ammo, and you can only use ammo you buy from them in their range. Understandable but I have to order some boxes of Critical Defense so I can actually shoot it.
    Where do you shoot Hoffmans? I hate that policy, check out Wolfs Range in Bristol and shoot whatever you bring there, about 20 minutes from Hoffmans.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links