Kimber ammo problem

Kimber ammo problem

This is a discussion on Kimber ammo problem within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So Ive been seaching around and cant seem to find what Im looking for. My question is does anyone else have trouble shooting Gold dot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber ammo problem

Kimber ammo problem

So Ive been seaching around and cant seem to find what Im looking for. My question is does anyone else have trouble shooting Gold dot out of their Kimber Ultra Carry II? Mine feeds ball ammo fine but has trouble with Gold dot. I havent had the chance to put any other good defensive ammo through it yet (mainly because of the cost!) but I was wondering if anyone can chime in here and recommend anything

The only thing that bothered me was that I was shooting cheap FMJ, and the gun was quite dirty till I started to shoot the GD. Think that had anything to do with the problem??
    I dont believe in fate, I believe in odds.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE410 View Post
    So Ive been seaching around and cant seem to find what Im looking for. My question is does anyone else have trouble shooting Gold dot out of their Kimber Ultra Carry II? Mine feeds ball ammo fine but has trouble with Gold dot. I havent had the chance to put any other good defensive ammo through it yet (mainly because of the cost!) but I was wondering if anyone can chime in here and recommend anything

The only thing that bothered me was that I was shooting cheap FMJ, and the gun was quite dirty till I started to shoot the GD. Think that had anything to do with the problem??
    The Kimbers (I used to own) did not shoot gold dots at all. I had to switch to a HP that was more shaped like ball ammo. Try some Golden Sabers or Hornandy Critical Defense and your troubles should be over.

My Colt's eat it all on the other hand.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Get some Wilson mags or Tripp Research Cobra mags.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    Get some Wilson mags or Tripp Research Cobra mags.
    This! My TLE won't feed GDs or many other HPs reliably with the stock mag. No problems when using Wilson mags.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Should of bought a Wilson Combat. I have a CQB the best 1911 style I've every had. Kimber used to buy Wilsons seconds and now they don't, and prices still high and quality is down.

I had a ultra CDP..High dollar gun and it had feeding problems with not only hollow points but ball as well and it came with only one cheesy magazine. all the other kimbers I ever had were flawless and awesome. I use wilson combat mags and megar mags and have done away with problems but its not just the "Ultra" most "officer sized frame 1911's have feeding issue's. the gun just wasn't meant to be made in 3inch from my experiences...to say Kimber is now low quality at high prices is a stretch...I have a basic no frills Procarry that will shoot as well as any 1911..notice my avatar to the left is a Kimber "SIS" procarry, i have yet to shoot a 1911 that matches it's accuracy and ive shot Wilsons. One day I will get one, though they are discontinued
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

VIP Member
    Regardless of the fact Wilson mags might solve your problem, when you pay $800+ on a gun it should feed whatever you put into it. Contact Kimber and tell them the problem your having and make them fix it. That's what I did with my Springer Loaded Champion. They reamed the throat, polished the feed ramp and tuned the extractor. All under warranty. Gun was 100% reliable afterwords. BTW, it would feed any FMJ I put in it, just would not cycle any of the 5 brands of JHP's I tried.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Regardless of the fact Wilson mags might solve your problem, when you pay $800+ on a gun it should feed whatever you put into it. Contact Kimber and tell them the problem your having and make them fix it. That's what I did with my Springer Loaded Champion. They reamed the throat, polished the feed ramp and tuned the extractor. All under warranty. Gun was 100% reliable afterwords. BTW, it would feed any FMJ I put in it, just would not cycle any of the 5 brands of JHP's I tried.
    Good luck with Kimber's Customer (Dis)Service.

My UCII has fed everything I have put in it including gold dots without ever having a failure of any kind. That includes my 200 grain semi wadcutter range loads.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I suggest some Chip McCormick mags, and mine feeds Winchester PDX HP ammo without fail.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    when I made my first recommendation I assumed he tossed the stock kimber mags! They are total crap!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I agree with this.

Contact Kimber and have them fix your pistol.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try a Wilson mag, I just ordered one. Honestly I never was a fan of kimber but when I saw this at the local shop it seemed like a good deal so I figured what the heck. I'm gonna try some critical defense ammo to. Well see what happens. If I can't get this thing shootin reliable then I'm just gonna trade it in for a springer, that's what I really wanted anyway but when I walk in the shop I have a nasty habit of just pickin up whatever seems good at the time. I hate leaving empty handed lol
    I dont believe in fate, I believe in odds.

VIP Member
    Thanks guys. I'm gonna try a Wilson mag, I just ordered one. Honestly I never was a fan of kimber but when I saw this at the local shop it seemed like a good deal so I figured what the heck. I'm gonna try some critical defense ammo to. Well see what happens. If I can't get this thing shootin reliable then I'm just gonna trade it in for a springer, that's what I really wanted anyway but when I walk in the shop I have a nasty habit of just pickin up whatever seems good at the time. I hate leaving empty handed lol
    Big-

I am about 90% confident that if you do those two things with the mag and changing ammo, your Kimber will function fine. You will always find people who love or hate Kimbers. I don't own them anymore because I would rather have a Colt for the same money with minimal MIM parts. Most of my Kimbers shot well once I changed the mag and ammo and broke them in.

My friend's Ultra Carry II's plastic mainspring housing broke the other night and seems to be a shortcoming of Kimber's design, so if yours has a plastic MS housing change it to a steel or aluminum one asap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links