How many rounds before deeming reliable?

This is a discussion on How many rounds before deeming reliable? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; approximately, how many rounds should you put through a new firearm before deeming it reliable?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many rounds before deeming reliable?

How many rounds before deeming reliable?

approximately, how many rounds should you put through a new firearm before deeming it reliable?

2. Remove Ads

1911 - 1000
    most others- 200-350
    Glock 0-1

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    This just ran, and the answers will vary with every reply. Some one; some can't fire enough.
    It also matters whether you mean gun "reliability" or your confidence in it. A new gun should be reliable out of the box--period. Confidence shouldn't take too long. Even less with a Glock. Maybe longer with a 1911.

Ifs and buts...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    'Like OldVet said.

I have a nasty-looking PF9 that threw 150 mixed-bag of rounds on the first session out-of-the-box and never hesitated. It went into the rotation. 800+ rnds later, still running flawless.

I have a 1911 that was flawless for the first 1000 or so, and is now starting to have trouble feeding.

Another 1911 that ran like poo for the first 200, and a swiss watch after that.

The Glocks always run.

My solution is to constantly test what I carry.

I guess I've been lucky, because every handgun I own has worked fine right out of the box.

But I like to run a few boxes of ammo thru them so I can learn the feel of the gun and see if the SD ammo I have works.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

200 rounds of any mixed lineage will ID any issues with a quality semi-auto AND give you an initial 'feel' for the gun. After 1000 rounds or so you know you can or can't trust it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

My general count is 100. If I have any problems within the first 100, I'll keep shooting until I get 100 rounds out without problems.

Obviously, this is a personal decision as evidenced by the various opinions posted.

I like to run 400 - 500 rds. of assorted hardball ammo through a new pistol, followed by 100 rds. of my carry ammo.

If there are no issues, it then goes into my carry rotation.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

For my 1911 it would make hollowpoints nosedive into the feed ramp with the factory mags so I bought high quality mags (one Wilson mag and one Tripp mag) and put 250 ball rounds (230 grain) through it with my factory mags to get it good and broken in. After the initial hiccups and the addition of my quality mags I've not had a problem since; I should also note that after I had identified the hollowpoint feeding problem as the magazines, I loaded up the Gold Dots that had not set back, a box of PMC Starfire JHP, and a box of PDX1, all of which fed and fired flawlessly with the quality mags. It's close to 1000 total rounds fired and I trust it with my life.

My new SP101 by way of its reliable (read revolver) nature and reputation for being a tank I've only fired 20 rounds of .38 Special FMJ, 5 rounds of 125 grain .357 Magnum Critical Defense JHP, and 5 rounds of 158 grain .357 Magnum Winchester Super-X JSP before putting my confidence in it. I trust it to go bang every time now. It will be going into the rotation full time as soon as I get my holster for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    1911 - 1000
    most others- 200-350
    Glock 0-1
    ^^^^ This... Completely agree.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Glocks: 50 rounds of FMJ then 25 rounds of Golden Saber. Browning Hi-Power 1964 T-Series: 50 rounds of FMJ and 50 rounds of Federal 9 BP. Ruger and S&W revolvers: couple of cylinders full of Gold Dot or Golden Saber. Quality firearms and quality ammo limits the need for hundreds of rounds to "Break In". My $.02 for me to feel comfortable with the reliability of my DC gun.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

200 rounds of fmj, and about 50 of JHP without any issues, using all the magazines I intend to use for carrying, and I call it good to go.

At some point you are going to start wearing out parts, and needing to replace them (like recoil springs), and then you need to test that for reliability too.

It is important to test your gun and your magazines. If your gun comes with 1 magazine, and you do all the break in with that one magazine, then go buy a few spares to carry without testing them, you are doing a dis-service to yourself.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    200 rounds of fmj, and about 50 of JHP without any issues, using all the magazines I intend to use for carrying, and I call it good to go.

At some point you are going to start wearing out parts, and needing to replace them (like recoil springs), and then you need to test that for reliability too.

It is important to test your gun and your magazines. If your gun comes with 1 magazine, and you do all the break in with that one magazine, then go buy a few spares to carry without testing them, you are doing a dis-service to yourself.
    What he said ^^^^^
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I figure 500 is about right.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

200-300 rounds of FMJ and 100 rounds of SD Ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links