What gun to get with tax return?

This is a discussion on What gun to get with tax return? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went a little overboard last year with my tax return. My 8k first time homebuyer credit was spent nearly totatlly on gun,ammo, accessories. Well ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What gun to get with tax return?

What gun to get with tax return?

I went a little overboard last year with my tax return. My 8k first time homebuyer credit was spent nearly totatlly on gun,ammo, accessories. Well its that time again and I am getting a fairly large amount back. I know I want a new toy to kind of respark my interest in shooting. I fell into a rut with my old guns. I already have a pocket pistol and a XDSC40 so not really looking for something in the same class. Looking for a new pistol. I am on the fence about:
    Rock Island Armory 1911 in Nickle finish 5" slide
    http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911TAC-NP.aspx
    I wanted to get into the 1911 field but am not ready to drop $800+ yet. I shot and liked the SA 1911 mil-spec. but i wanted the beavertail and fancy hammer and trigger.
    Then I was thinking about a micro 45 from SA, but since I cant carry in MD and already have a pocket and my XDSC dont need another small gun. Any ideas?What about Sig 229 in 40? i already have a 40 so shared ammo would be nice. I love the feel of my sig mosquito which is 10% smaller

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    An RIA is a reliable gun. I have one. Also a 5" Tactical.

One thing to remember is to keep Hoppes away from the Nickel finish. It will discolor it.

I'd go for a Springfield 1911 Loaded model, it's the step up from the Mil-Spec (I have a SA Mil-Spec that I really love) and is only about $250 more and sometimes I've seen NIB Loaded models go for only $100 over what I paid for my Mil-Spec. Plus with Springfield you get one of the best customer support services in the business should the need ever arise to use it. My one recommendation to you is that if you indeed ever carry it in holster you should steer clear of a parkerized finish as it's a very soft finish, just ask my poor Mil-Spec.

No rifles in the mix? A nice Springfield Scout M1A .308 or a Spikes Tactical ST-15 Mid-length 5.56 Carbine?
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    I'd go for a Springfield 1911 Loaded model, it's the step up from the Mil-Spec (I have a SA Mil-Spec that I really love) and is only about $250 more and sometimes I've seen NIB Loaded models go for only $100 over what I paid for my Mil-Spec. Plus with Springfield you get one of the best customer support services in the business should the need ever arise to use it. My one recommendation to you is that if you indeed ever carry it in holster you should steer clear of a parkerized finish as it's a very soft finish, just ask my poor Mil-Spec.

It should be noted that Armscor (manufacturer of RIA) is another with absolutely top-notch customer service. You can read about RIAs here and many posts will contain praises of Armscor's customer service, and the the quality of the work of Advanced Tactical in NV, who do all of the RIA service work in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    No rifles in the mix? A nice Springfield Scout M1A .308 or a Spikes Tactical ST-15 Mid-length 5.56 Carbine?
    I already have a AK I only shot once, and a AR15 18" M4. I dont get to shoot them that often because nearest rifle range is nearly an hour away. I get more use out of pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie313 View Post
    I already have a AK I only shot once, and a AR15 18" M4. I dont get to shoot them that often because nearest rifle range is nearly an hour away. I get more use out of pistols
    Good reason. Sucks... but yep, a good reason.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Rock Island is a great 1911 for the price, and they have some customer service that is outstanding should you have any issue with thier products!!!! First hand knowledge of customer service here I can tell you they are great.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would buy this Smith & Wesson 1911 (SKU 108482) which has a fancy hammer, trigger and bobtail and you can probably find it for less than $800.00 at your LGS or online at Gun Broker or Gallery of Guns. The S&W 1911s are very reliable and good looking pistols. Another option is to buy a very nice 12 gauge shotgun like a Mossberg 590A1 SPX, Remington 870 Express Tactical or a Benelli Nova Pump Tactical and then load it with a tactical light, pistol grip stock, side saddle and good tactical sling. You then would have an awesome home defense shotgun which is always a good investment.

Ultimately, you could try finding a very nice used 1911 made by Kimber, Wilson Combat or Sig Sauer.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    just to many to pick!!! have a couple more kids so next year you can get more.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I wan't an SR-25

Wow you got some nice responses here. I asked this on another forum and got attacked for not having my taxes so low that I either don't get a return or have to pay them :/ Sure sucked the fun out of that one.

I've held the new SIG E2 guns and they are quite nice for those of us (ME) who have smaller hands. I'm not sure if they have any .40's yet. Another revolver is always nice too :D
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Since this will be used to get you "out of the rut". why not think about a revolver. There are some great ones out there, at a very good price. Just something about revolvers. I made a couple of holsters for a good customer. He had a Ruger GP100 with 3 inch barrel, 357 and a Ruger Speed Six 357. I really liked those guns!
    I also envy your problem. Good hunting.
    NRA Life Member, Holster Maker
    www.haysholsters.com

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    If you're unlikely to carry it, I would get the 5" full size 1911 for sure. The RIA Tactical would be fun and one of the least expensive/highest value 1911's out there. Having said that, if you have the money, the Springfield loaded is an absolutely fantastic gun. It's beautiful, high end, and very reasonably priced around $800 or perhaps a bit less. You will never regret getting that gun but if you do get the RIA you may find yourself wishing you had one that was just a bit nicer.

I have two RIA's and love them both. I'm selling my mid-size to fund some upgrades to the Compact that I also carry. They're both great guns so you can't go wrong either way.

If you like stainless, the Springfield Armory Champion in Stainless is a beautiful gun too!

Gideon

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I'm probably going to get an LCP with mine. I had to sell my P3AT earlier this year and I miss having a BUG/Always Carry pistol.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links