Carry gun rotation, wondering.

This is a discussion on Carry gun rotation, wondering. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see a lot of posts that talk about EDC and back up guns “in rotation”, as many of you are much more experienced than ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry gun rotation, wondering.

Carry gun rotation, wondering.

I see a lot of posts that talk about EDC and back up guns “in rotation”, as many of you are much more experienced than me how does that work for you over all. I love guns (as it seems we all do) and I have several but my carry gun is always the same, and my carry method and location is always the same (2) IWB 1:30 tuckable if a must, or my preferred method OWB at 2:45-3:00.

In my mind I think the function (safety etc) of my carry pistol is always the same (as it is always the same gun) and there are only two draw methods to practice and be comfortable with.

Not saying this is the way to go; but I notice most of you vary the gun and the method and was wondering about overall thoughts on the subject????

2. Remove Ads

I own quite a few pistols each with a specific purpose. I have 4 main EDC guns. None of them have button/switch safeties to remember and I shoot these 4 more often than any of my other pistols. These 4 guns are un-holster and pull the trigger. I carry the CZ one in the chamber decocked in DA. It came with the option of removing the decocker and putting in a manual safety to carry cocked and locked but I am not a fan of switch/button safeties just my preference. I grew up shooting and carrying DA revolvers so that's my comfort zone.

4 guns I usually rotate between.
    Ruger sp101 3"
    Colt detective special
    CZ P-07 Duty
    Glock 29

Now if I'm going camping/hiking, or hunting I'll either bring the glock 20/29 10mm or the ruger red hawk .44 mag.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

VIP Member
    I'm far from the most experienced shooters here. However, I believe that familiarity is best. When you consider the stress that you'll be under if you're drawing, it would be best if the motor-functions were in your muscle-memory.

That said, I do rotate (perhaps carry what I deem appropriate for the day is a better description), but I'm also extremely familiar with what I'm rotating.

My general carry rotation is a full sized 1911 (Springfield Loaded), worn at around 4:00, or a S&W j-frame carrier at about 4:00, if there is a reason I can't conceal the 1911. I also have more than 1 full zied 1911, so if my primary for some reason is unable to be carried, I have a back-up, with identical controls and dimensions.

The way I see it, is the 1911 has a more complex manual of arms (it includes a thumb safety), and I do most of my training with the 1911. Since the J-frame has a simpler manual of arms (just point and shoot), it is easier to step down to it. I personally have no plans on going to a pistol that has a safety like the Beretta 92 (where it flips up, instead of being pushed down by the thumb), because my natual instinct and muscle memory is built up to work with a 1911 style thumb safety. I would not go from carrying a striker fired pistol as a primary, to going to anything with a manual safety, without significant training. To me, it is kind of like the difference in learning to drive a stick shift vs. an automatic. If you learned on a stick shift (1911), than it is a lot easier to the automatic (point and shoot, a.k.a. j-frame), than if you do things the other way around.

The key is training. I plan on starting to work my G-36 into the rotation once I get enough trouble free rounds through it, but it is also a simple point and shoot interface.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The guns that I rotate for carry are 24/7, PT111, 1911, all have downward sweeping safety, and an SP101 no safety.

I have been shooting guns with a downward sweeping safety for a long while and am just accustom to moving my thumb down as part of my draw/presentation of the weapon. When I switch to a revolver or heaven forbid the wife's Glock it is a non issue. If I do the same motion with the thumb it simply makes the motion without anything there to move.

I think it is important to either be very familiar with the gun or have a similar manual of arms for what you carry. This is the reason the wife won't carry anything with a manual safety. She prefers a gun that you can point and shoot without having to remember to take the safety off. That is her call, that is what she likes, and I am fine with that. Besides, it keeps her away from my guns.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Good stuff; even with rotation most of you seem to think a lot more like me than I originally thought... (IE muscle memory manual of arms etc...) we are on the same thoughts after all.

Thanks....

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    If you learned on a stick shift (1911), than it is a lot easier to the automatic (point and shoot, a.k.a. j-frame), than if you do things the other way around.
    Until that one time you try to push in the "clutch" only to violently realize you're driving an automatic...

(doesn't really translate to your gun metaphor, but is all too true in vehicles)

On-topic. I prefer to keep the same manual of arms. Nothing but the 1911 platform (or close enough, like a SIG SAO) if I can help it...

Cool

My carry guns are all Glocks so the manual of arms is always the same. Appendix carry and same holster in the same place every time.
    P26100833.jpg

G-23 G-36 G-19
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have several. All have the same manual of arms. Good for you that you've been able to use one. I wish I could. I'd have to sell all but one because I keep changing my mind what I like better. Some day's it's no trouble going IWB with a double stack semi auto, then others I feel like only pocket carry is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    I have several. All have the same manual of arms. Good for you that you've been able to use one. I wish I could. I'd have to sell all but one because I keep changing my mind what I like better. Some day's it's no trouble going IWB with a double stack semi auto, then others I feel like only pocket carry is the way to go.
    I have several but only carry the Glock... my in home is a 12 GA carry is a Glock 22 (always) but I shoot everything at the range hunting etc... I guess I just choose the Glock as my fighter and stick with it, I thought a long time ago If I knew 100% I was going to get in a gun fight today what would I carry; the answer was the Glock, and I have carried it every day after I gave myself that answer...

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I have 3 EDC guns: Heckler & Koch USP Compact .40 S&W (Main Carry), Walther P99 9mm (Secondary Carry) and Smith & Wesson 442 .38+P (BUG and deep concealment carry). I mostly carry my H&K as my main carry with my S&W 442 as BUG, but I sometimes carry the Walther P99 or the S&W 442 as main carry.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

If you have different guns that are more appropriate depending on your particular environment, dress, and activity then by all means carry the most appropriate gun for the occasion...but putting your guns on "rotation" for no reason (ie, 1 month this gun, 1 month that gun) is ridiculous in my opinion.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

It depends on the individual. I have no problem jumping from a 1911 to a Glock, SIG, Kahr or to a wheelgun or back again. When my hand grips the gun, it just knows what to do next; there's no fumbling around for a safety of lack thereof. However, I only have two modes of carry - pocket, or hip holster (inside or outside of waistband) at about 4:00
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    If you have different guns that are more appropriate depending on your particular environment, dress, and activity then by all means carry the most appropriate gun for the occasion...but putting your guns on "rotation" for no reason (ie, 1 month this gun, 1 month that gun) is ridiculous in my opinion.
    I completely agree. Nonetheless, there are some gun enthusiasts that just like to carry different guns since they have plenty of them and they switch them for fun. I particularly only have 3 carry guns in my EDC system and I change them solely on my dress attire and where I will be. For example: If I'm wearing a jacket I usually wear the Walther P99 OWB, if I'm wearing baggy clothes I wear the H&K USP Compact IWB and for the office or the beach I carry my S&W 442 in my pocket. I think I might add a Ruger LCP or Sig Sauer P238 to have a deeper concealment option since the S&W 442 sometimes prints a bit too much in my business pants.

I think that as long as someone has a well thought out system that works for them, who cares how many guns they have in their rotation as long as they practice with all of them and can switch back and forth from different platforms without issues.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Well. if I'm bowling, it's my Taurus Slim 709 or 740. Otherwise, it is my .40 Baby Eagle or my 9mm Beretta PX4 Storm, or my CZ 75B, or my S&W 659. Usually IWB.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links