Glock 29 or 30

This is a discussion on Glock 29 or 30 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd stick with the 30...45 holes are big enough and the ammo is easier to find...

View Poll Results: Pick one

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 29

30 46.88%
  • Glock 30

31 48.44%
  • Something else (Please specify)

3 4.69%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 29 or 30

I'd stick with the 30...45 holes are big enough and the ammo is easier to find
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    M&P45 compact....
    I have owned one. don't know what it was cuz it was a good gun but I sold it just didn't do it for me.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Well I picked!!!! I bought a 30/29! I bought a 30 and a conversion kit to make it 10MM I figured this would give me the best of both worlds. I have picks of the plain ole 30 but the conversion kit is being shipped.
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg a.jpg (99.7 KB, 14 views)
    • File Type: jpg d.jpg (132.7 KB, 17 views)
    • File Type: jpg s.jpg (100.3 KB, 13 views)
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Dragman, I sent you a PM a couple weeks ago and never heard anything back. Did you ever sell the glock 20 or 19 you had listed in the for sale section?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I apologize I didn't see a PM sorry. Yes I sold my 20 a long time ago and I sold one of my 19's probably early, mid December. I still have 2 19's but if your ever looking for goodies of anything give me another shout I have way to much stuff for my own good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Just polling to see which is the more common pick. This wont affect my decision but I am just curious to see what everyone thinks?
    They are both awesome caliber's for stopping power as indicated by the FBI testing done with various grain and types of round used in these calibers when shot out of a 4inch barrel or greater. Here is what I know from owning both the full size G20 and G21 at one time. 10mm is awesome accurate when shot out of those Glock models. It is to me one of the two guns Glock ever made where the frame was perfect for the caliber the other being the 19 and IMHO i think those two are the best guns Gaston Glock ever made.
    As to a compact 10mm i doubt it'd be too much of a joy to shoot as the G20 is like a 41 auto mag if one existed plus as others have said the caliber is now considered "exotic" and with ammo already being jacked up in price like the price of gas i'd stay with common 45acp. Not much felt recoil difference in the two calibers but the speed of the 10mm round makes it way louder which does make it seem a handful when shooting it, even if it is just the pitch in speed of the round vs the actual snap on your wrist when shooting. Go with the 45acp...I think it's more pleasant to shoot in that smaller size frame, the ammo is cheaper though not cheap and I think most people shoot what they enjoy. A 10mm is made for that large bulky G20 but to say you would carry it often is not realistic. It's a monster size along with sixteen rounds of say 180 or 185 grain rounds?
    Last edited by patrol; February 5th, 2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: clairity
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I prefer the 10mm.

One thing to consider is mentally preparing yourself for your responses should you ever use it and the subject of "world's most powerful handgun" comes up. A .45 is an 11mm+ round. If somebody ever suggested to me that I chose to own the most powerful handgun so I could do a better job of killing somebody I am already prepared to essentially say "that's simply not true. If I wanted the biggest, baddest gun I would have gotten a .45." My position would be "we all know a 9mm has a history of not being sufficiently effective (it doesn't matter whether you believe it or not, you can find plenty of "evidence" to support that contention). The .45 is the most powerful handgun round (it doesn't matter whether you believe it or not, you can find plenty of "evidence" to support that contention). I didn't want that either, so I split the difference and went with the 10mm."

My basic point is you have to expect the possibility of curve balls to be thrown. Don't wait until the moment they are thrown to be prepared to bat against them. Think ahead. Anticipate. "Be prepared."

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I prefer the 10mm.

One thing to consider is mentally preparing yourself for your responses should you ever use it and the subject of "world's most powerful handgun" comes up. A .45 is an 11mm+ round. If somebody ever suggested to me that I chose to own the most powerful handgun so I could do a better job of killing somebody I am already prepared to essentially say "that's simply not true. If I wanted the biggest, baddest gun I would have gotten a .45." My position would be "we all know a 9mm has a history of not being sufficiently effective (it doesn't matter whether you believe it or not, you can find plenty of "evidence" to support that contention). The .45 is the most powerful handgun round (it doesn't matter whether you believe it or not, you can find plenty of "evidence" to support that contention). I didn't want that either, so I split the difference and went with the 10mm."

My basic point is you have to expect the possibility of curve balls to be thrown. Don't wait until the moment they are thrown to be prepared to bat against them. Think ahead. Anticipate. "Be prepared."
    I have other 45's and I have owned 10mm's and have a 5" kimber 10mm on order. If I want to go powerful I will carry my 4" S&W 500 (The REAL most powerful handgun) My questioning for this thread was only comparing the 2 rounds in this platform.

If you are set on Glock I understand, I have had most of their models at one time or another but after owning two springfield XD's one a 40sw and the other I still have and will never part with my XD Tactical 45acp (14shot) i'd consider this one for carry:

http://springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=146
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by patrol View Post
    If you are set on Glock I understand, I have had most of their models at one time or another but after owning two springfield XD's one a 40sw and the other I still have and will never part with my XD Tactical 45acp (14shot) i'd consider this one for carry:

http://springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=146
    Great Gun! I have owned 4 different XD's 2 of them were XDM's I don't know what it is I just can't get completely comfortable with them???

Great choice in getting the G30 and the 10mm conversion barrel.Don't forget to get some 10mm mags before your barrel shows up in the mail.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    Great choice in getting the G30 and the 10mm conversion barrel.Don't forget to get some 10mm mags before your barrel shows up in the mail.
    KIt comes with two mags too

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    KIt comes with two mags too
    How much did that conversion kit set you back?
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I voted for the 29. I have whacked A lot of wild hogs with my Glock 29. It knocks them flat.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Two cents worth on glock 29/30 question

I recently bought a Glock29' it feels great and i really like the 10mm round. One thing to know with 10mm however, is that if you ever take a class at a place that requires lead free frangible ammo (like Thunder Ranch, for one) my experience is that you are pretty much 'SOL'. It is very difficult to find large reliable 1000 round quantities of specialty ammo like this in 10mm. If you are planning on doing hi round count classes, think in terms of 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. I went to class with a bad batch of 10mm ammo and was very fortunate that Clint was very gracious and helped me worth through issues with squibs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links