Is it just me or is there a lot of superficial hype about Glock’s gen 4? - Page 3

Is it just me or is there a lot of superficial hype about Glock’s gen 4?

This is a discussion on Is it just me or is there a lot of superficial hype about Glock’s gen 4? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just went to the range with a gen4 19 a couple of days ago, with a 03 spring, zero malfunctions with cheap ammo. About 250-300 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it just me or is there a lot of superficial hype about Glock’s gen 4?

Just went to the range with a gen4 19 a couple of days ago, with a 03 spring, zero malfunctions with cheap ammo. About 250-300 rds between RWS 124gr, Winchester NATO, and Winchester PDX +P. That included 3 g4 mags, 5 g3 mags, and a 12$ 33rd mag from Botach. I have always disliked Glocks before this gun, I hate the original mag release and the g4 version feels so much more natural. I took a friends G30 with me, decent gun but i wouldnt consider getting a g3. As far as the g4 grip goes, it feels a lot better to me. For a comparison i have a 1911 with Davidsons Warthog grips and those are atleast as rough as the g4 grip. I honestly didnt feel much of a difference between his G30 and my G19 g4, but when i moved over to my 1911 it felt tiny by comparison.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I briefly handled a Gen 4 G19, and it seemed to be narrower at one particular point on the frame. I can reach a Glock trigger OK, but with no extra to spare. I really dislike the overall fullness and blockiness of pre-Gen 4 Glocks, and the Gen 4 seems to at least partially address that part, even if the 2-dimensional LOP from backstrap to trigger face is the same.

I will have to go back and handle one again, when I have more time, to compare the generations' dimensional differences. Of course, buying that new SIG P229R E2 last month certainly means I won't be buying any more pistols outright for quite a while.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    ...I will have to go back and handle one again, when I have more time, to compare the generations' dimensional differences...
    Yeah, I need to do that too. I intented to do that today, but I went tree climbing instead and now it's getting close to Super Bowl time and I'm not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    ...Of course, buying that new SIG P229R E2 last month certainly means I won't be buying any more pistols outright for quite a while.
    Again, yeah me too. How about that, we're both broke from buying the same gun the same month, and I'll just venture a guess, I bet you paid too much for it too.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I have a Gen2 G23 and there is a distinct difference for me in the two grips. I don't have a problem with the trigger reach, but have to adjust my grip to release the mag. The Gen4 G22/3 fixed that for me. Maybe it's just a goldilocks thing for me, but there is a difference.

I carried a G19 Gen 3 for about 6 or 7 months, thought about grabbing a gen 4 but didn't really see an improvement. I used to believe that the Glock was the pistol for me, but since shooting other similar sized pistols I realize that while Glock is a fantastic gun, there are other guns that fit my hand much better and are of just about the same reliability as a Glock. Don't foresee myself purchasing another Glock anytime soon.

Tangle, thanks for the very informative and well written article on the Gen4's. I really appreciate it. I have carried a Gen3 Glock 23 for years. I have a love/hate relationship with the gun. I love that it has never given me a single problem of any kind, that it always works and that it is easy to carry. I hate that the darn grip just doesn't fit my hand worth a darn. I have learned to adapt to the grip and I can shoot very well with it but, it still after more than 5 years carrying it, isn't second nature.

This just really re-enforces my desire to transition to the Ruger SR 9/40 line as they do really fit my hands much, much better. I will keep my G23, but in the near future I think there will be a Ruger on my hip.

Thanks again.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I think the texture and mag release are notable improvements over the standard gen3. The dual spring setup was a boon to the .40s, but had less than stellar results in the 9mm guns, although it appears guns with the 02 and 021 springs are running much better. Also of note is that the slightly changed trigger geometry has resulted in a heavier pull on gen 4s with the stock disconnector. It's usually in the neighborhood of a pound heavier than a gen3, and while not too detrimental to trigger control, it is definitely noticeable.

What angers me is that glock essentially used the consumer as the gen4 beta tester. There have already been 3 or 4 spring setups and 2 different slides for the 9mm gen4s. My g17 gen4 is my duty pistol, and while it has an up to date spring, it doesnt have the newest slide with the counterbored recess for the RSA. The counterbored slides appear to be the design glock will move forward with for gen4 production, so what happens when I need a new RSA? Will they continue producing the 021 RSA with the small sleeve at the end of the guide rod, or will I be SOL?

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Glock has not raised their prices to distributors on the Gen4 models. If your dealer is charging you more he is ripping you off.

Jim

While I might definately be in the minority here, I just don't care for the new texture on the gen 4 Glocks. To me it feels like - sandpaper! I will stick with my ole reliable gen 3 Glock 19!
    God bless our troops!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links