Glock 45/10mm conversion - Page 3

Glock 45/10mm conversion

This is a discussion on Glock 45/10mm conversion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by azchevy Then why start your post with "Not wanting to start a caliber war" I hunt with 10mm. I have hunted with ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Glock 45/10mm conversion

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Then why start your post with "Not wanting to start a caliber war"

I hunt with 10mm. I have hunted with 45. The wound cavities and bone damage caused by both the double tap and buffalo bore 10mm on wild hogs and javelina are impressive to say the least. I am sold. 10mm is not as popular nor was it sold full power. Shot placement is king. By your argument 40 s&w would be inferior as well. You know the argument you are claiming doesnt exist. The op was asking about a part not a lecture on caliber capability and finances.
    Very well-said.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Then why start your post with "Not wanting to start a caliber war"

I hunt with 10mm. I have hunted with 45. The wound cavities and bone damage caused by both the double tap and buffalo bore 10mm on wild hogs and javelina are impressive to say the least. I am sold. 10mm is not as popular nor was it sold full power. Shot placement is king. By your argument 40 s&w would be inferior as well. You know the argument you are claiming doesnt exist. The op was asking about a part not a lecture on caliber capability and finances.
    +1. I am also sold 100% on the 10mm! Anyone who has owned, shot and done testing with FULL POWER loads will back the 10mm also. If I could only have one glock it would be a 30, but I would have the 10mm, and 9X25 dillon conversion for it oh wait I do, and it is my favorite toy that I like to play with.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

People who say the cost of 10mm is a factor are kidding themselves. First off, if the hobby is too expensive for you, you should try getting into some other hobbies I am in like rock crawling, motorcycling, or boating. 450 bucks to fill up the boat just to run the lake on the weekend OOOOF.

At any rate a box of .45acp ranger 230 gr cost me 25-30 bucks a box of 20 BB 180gr jhp cost 30 bucks. 500 rounds of practice ammo in 10mm 180gr fmj cost 200 bucks as opposed to 170 for 200 230gr fmj 45 acp. The price difference is negligible. If you have a reload setup you can cut that cost way down to about 50%.

As for the effectiveness. No handgun cartridge is "effective" but for a long time it has not been a popular cartridge so not a lot of research has been put into it to develop the "perfect" self defense loads. The FBI standard was a watered down load (950-1000 fps) so many ammo manufacturers followed suit resulting in pretty much a 10mm cartridge at lower velocity that what it was intended for.... the result of this ( not arguing how or why the cartridge was developed) for better or worse was the 40 s&W cartridge. The 10mm cartridge, properly loaded (1250+fps) , matches very closely to the .357 and .41 magnums. Issues in the past with full power loads have been excessive recoil, slower followup shots, and excessive wear and tear on autoloaders. 650+ft lbs is common for most factory ammo.... with the BB and DT pushing closer to 700 ftlbs. Those velocities and the sectional density of the bullet tell me it is a very effective cartridge. The cartridge is an awesome and versatile cartridge. When loaded to full potential you are pushing .41 magnum range and I am not sure how a 180gr gold dot traveling at 1300 fps into a target is going to be any less damaging than say a 9mm 115gr +p gold dot at 12-1300fps .

If I had to choose one handgun cartridge to carry eternally it would be a tough choice but the 10mm would edge out the .357 magnum in my book. I personally think it is one of the greatest handgun rounds developed in the past 35 years. With all that being said, please do not misconstrue my comments to believe that caliber is the end all to the debate. It has and always will be shot placement and I would be more worried about a guy with a .380 who can make his shots than a guy with a 10mm who could barely handle it.

I just got my KKM 10mm Conversion Barrel for my Glock 21. Using standard ammo it seems more accurate then shooting 45s through my Wilson Barrel. The recoil also does not seem much different. So far I am pleased. I did not change anything else. Kevin at KKM says to modify the extractor.

My question is how do I know what recoil spring I have and what would be different if I change to a heavier one?

Did you buy the Glock 21 new? Is so, it is stock and will be rated at 17 lbs. If you still are not sure, you can look at the end of the guide rod and it will be stamped 5600.

Are you going to reload and make your own nuclear loads, or shoot primarily Double Tap, Swamp Fox, or Buffalo Bore 10mm ammo in your gun?

If you are going to shoot cci, Remington, or just about any other mass produced 10mm ammo, this stuff is watered down.....won't recoil like the above mentioned brands will, and you can probably get by with the 17 lb rated stock spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Did you buy the Glock 21 new? Is so, it is stock and will be rated at 17 lbs. If you still are not sure, you can look at the end of the guide rod and it will be stamped 5600.

Are you going to reload and make your own nuclear loads, or shoot primarily Double Tap, Swamp Fox, or Buffalo Bore 10mm ammo in your gun?

If you are going to shoot cci, Remington, or just about any other mass produced 10mm ammo, this stuff is watered down.....won't recoil like the above mentioned brands will, and you can probably get by with the 17 lb rated stock spring.
    I bought it used. I just ordered a box of Double Tap 10mm 230gr. WFNGC Hardcast.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCiccarel View Post
    I bought it used. I just ordered a box of Double Tap 10mm 230gr. WFNGC Hardcast.
    I do have the stock 17 lb spring. What will happen if I shoot this Double Tap Ammo? Will there be a problem or just uncomfortable to shoot?

I do have the stock 17 lb spring. What will happen if I shoot this Double Tap Ammo? Will there be a problem or just uncomfortable to shoot?
    I have a stock spring in my g29 and have not had any issues to date using DT and BB

From the Buffalo Bore website:

Heavy 10mm Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

"Full power 10mm ammo has always generated enough recoil and pressure to require a pretty stiff recoil spring in your handgun - this of course depends on several variables such as your slide weight, etc. When the cartridge fires, it generates enough pressure/recoil to prematurely open your breech face in some guns. When this happens, the opening breech face has an effect on the burn rate of the powder. This can result in some fairly high extreme spreads in velocity. If you are experiencing extreme velocity spreads of more than 50 fps, simply install a stiffer recoil spring. For example, I have an original Colt Delta Elite. This gun with the factory spring runs extreme spreads of about 35fps with both of these 10mm loads. I am happy with 35 fps, so I leave the Delta Elite as is. I also have a custom built Para Ordinance with a Nowlin barrel. It runs extreme spreads of about 70 fps with its original recoil spring. When I install a spring that is 4 lbs stiffer, the extreme spread drops to about 35 fps. The new Glock model 20 comes with a recoil spring that allows the breech face to open too soon and my new Glock model 20 will get extreme spreads of about 100fps with the factory spring installed. When I go to a stiffer recoil spring, the extreme spreads drop to about 50 fps in my new Glock model 20. Of course none of this will be an issue in a revolver. None of this will be an issue in real life either, as these high extreme spreads don't hurt accuracy or function. However, I mention this because if you are like me and want things to be as correct as possible, I have outlined the problem and the solution. The industry fixed all these problems initially, by watering down the 10mm ammo over the last several years. The watered down 10mm ammo does not generate the pressure/recoil to open the breech face early. If you want the full powered 10mm ammo we make, you simply need to tweak your pistol. Or just realize that you are getting some fairly high extreme spreads and ignore it or live with it. It's not hurting any thing in reality."

I have a stock spring in my g29 and have not had any issues to date using DT and BB
    Thanks, I will give them a try.

Does anyone what happened to KKM Precision. There web site is gone. I want to convert a glock21 to 10mm.
    I can help. I have a KKM barrel and 2 G20 mags for sale. If you're in for it, let me know.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    get the real thing....

IMG_4864.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links