Went to look at a GP100 4" stainless and my patience paid off with a 686 4" - Page 2

Went to look at a GP100 4" stainless and my patience paid off with a 686 4"

This is a discussion on Went to look at a GP100 4" stainless and my patience paid off with a 686 4" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 686 is a fine revolver and it looks as if you got a pre-lock version. ¡Muy bueno!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Went to look at a GP100 4" stainless and my patience paid off with a 686 4"

The 686 is a fine revolver and it looks as if you got a pre-lock version. ¡Muy bueno!

Which 686 verision is it ? I've been doing what you have, and "just missed " out on a couple of GP100's. But, if I see the right 686 ... that's even better.

Congrats on the find and the gun. You'll enjoy it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Yep, its a pre-lock 686-4. Just got finished with a basic field strip and cleaning. The cylinder was a little gritty but I figured it would spin freely after cleaning and it does. It is such a gorgeous piece of equipment. Bonus, my lady gave me no grief!
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I've come to appreciate the S&W 686 recently too. Since I already own a 4" Model 66, I decided to look for one with a 6" barrel.

I really think highly of these older Smiths, especially compared to the current guns with their built-in locks. To be honest, I would rather buy one of these older Smiths used in good condition, than the current production.

So I finally went and purchased one on Wednesday, just a few days ago, and should hopefully have it in hand by the end of this coming week. It is an older 686-2, and is thus also a pre-lock. It has hardly been fired, and has spent its life as a well kept safe queen.

They sure are handsome guns indeed. I just could not resist buying mine either, when I saw these photos of it:

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    I've been looking for years for the right buy on a Ruger 4" GP100 stainless. I almost got one last year but that fell through. On a whim, I called one of my local stores today and asked if they had one and they had a used one literally come in this morning. I went to go check it out and right next to it was a S&W 686 4" that just screamed, PICK ME INSTEAD! It had only been in there a day or two and its amazing it was still there. Let's see, $465 for the Ruger or $495 for the S&W? That's a no-brainer. It's funny because I never even considered the 686 before and I don't really know why. Tunnel vision I guess.

I still need to do a little cleanup on it but its in really good shape. The trigger action is a dream and it absolutely fits my hand like they were made for each other. My patience finally paid off!

Attachment 23096Attachment 23097Attachment 23098
    Congrats; you got yourself a very nice gun. IMO you did the right thing choosing the S&W instead of the Ruger
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

A masterpiece. So accurate you'll be able to draw pictures with it. You'll see why it's my HD preference.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Biomortis, you did good!!

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    I really think highly of these older Smiths, especially compared to the current guns with their built-in locks. To be honest, I would rather buy one of these older Smiths used in good condition, than the current production.
    I couldn't agree more.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    I've come to appreciate the S&W 686 recently too. Since I already own a 4" Model 66, I decided to look for one with a 6" barrel.

So I finally went and purchased one on Wednesday, just a few days ago, and should hopefully have it in hand by the end of this coming week. It is an older 686-2, and is thus also a pre-lock. It has hardly been fired, and has spent its life as a well kept safe queen.

They sure are handsome guns indeed. I just could not resist buying mine either, when I saw these photos of it:

Let me tell you that when I bust out my 686 with the 6 inch barrel and start shooting .357 mag at my range, people will stop shooting and come over to check it out. I got lucky too and mine is a pre-lock as well. The pick of yours looks pristine.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    The pic of yours looks pristine.
    Well, I was told that the original owner may have only shot it once, and then retired it to his safe.

I was also told that he sent it to a gunsmith for a polishing job. So that is why it looks so very bright and shiny.

I really love finding safe queens and buying them. For some reason, I've mainly been buying older classic guns the last couple of years.

In a number of ways, they appeal more to me than a lot of the new guns on the market.

Well played, sir!

Cheers.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Very good buy!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links