I think the wife is gonna go for it!!!!!!!

I think the wife is gonna go for it!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on I think the wife is gonna go for it!!!!!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently took the conceal class and now waiting for my permit in the mail. Well in the meen time ive been talking to the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: I think the wife is gonna go for it!!!!!!!

  1. #1
    Member Array bunkiefd4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bunkie, Louisiana
    Posts
    100

    I think the wife is gonna go for it!!!!!!!

    I recently took the conceal class and now waiting for my permit in the mail. Well in the meen time ive been talking to the wife about getting her permit. Talking to her a little about it here and there, I dont whant to pressure her and force it on her because then she's gonna shut the whole thing down and not do it. She's kinda scared of firearms by the way, never even shot one. Anyway, she's starting to come around and talking about it. Guys ive been shooting rifles and shotguns all my life, im kinda new when comes to pistols so im not real shure whats all out there. And this forum is the best thing ive ever found when it comes to pistols. So my question is, what pistols are out there for her that she wont be affraid to shoot. Im not going buy her a 45 calber are anything. Maybe a 380? I dont know, help me out and toss some ideas around. By the way, she is a nurse and has to walk a parking lot at 10pm and 6am, she works the night shift. So im really excited about her wanting to do this. Please help....


  2. #2
    Member Array vietnamvet66's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    337
    Most folks want to say that a .380 is not enough gun. I fel that a .380 well placed shot is fine. There are some reliable hand guns out there. Take her to a range that rents revolvers and pistols
    and have her make her own decision. If she finds one that feels good and she likes to shoot, no matter the cal., she is better off with it than trying to use something she does not like.
    Just my $ 0.02......
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,051
    Let her pick out her own weapon.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    11,301
    That's a string you can't push across the table... go slowly and don't assume that her enthusiasm is anywhere near yours. Unfortunately due to the TV influence, a lot of women attribute more power and "badness" to handguns than to long arms. My ex considered even a .22 revolver a "murder weapon", yet she was fine with my shotguns and rifles... which were an order of magnitude more powerful.

    The last thing you want to do is to start your lady off with a gun that hurts when she shoots it. There's another thread running right now about a guy who got his mom or his wife a lightweight J frame, with a too-stiff DA trigger and a frightful bite from recoil - nothing will discourage the unconvinced faster than shooting a gun that hurts. How about starting off with a .22, even just recreational shooting with a rifle? Get her used to a little bang and no bite, then rent or borrow something like a full-size 9mm or a K-frame in .38 to get used to a centerfire. We hairy-chested cavemen sneer at itty-bitty .380s, but some of them have a real snappy recoil (e.g., a PPK/S). Once she's used to shooting, then it's time to follow the above suggestions and let her try out a few different guns, and let her pick the one she ends up with. Don't forget that small guns are awful for beginners due to their short sight radius and minimal grips!

    Also, in the meantime point her toward Kathy Jackson's excellent web site for women shooters, CorneredCat - http://corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

  5. #5
    Member Array zip777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    109
    A agree a 380 well placed would work just fine. My girl is not terribly familiar with handguns so when she gets her CCW I'm going to get her a 38 special wheel gun....because I don't want her taking mine! hahaha There are pros and cons of each but I like the SIMPLICITY of a hammerless revolver. Just point and pull the trigger. A S&W 642 Airweight is a fine choice IF you want a lightweight revolver.

    I'm very comfortable with both revolvers and autos but still carry a revolver. IMO the trade off you get (only having 5 rounds) outweighs the POTENTIAL need to clear, tap and rack another round in the case of a jam. It's a personal choice with widely varying opinions. Really it boils down to what SHE is most comfortable with. Whatever option you choose have her thoroughly know gun safety then practice practice practice. Then when she's comfortable...have her review and practice again!

  6. #6
    Member Array zip777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    That's a string you can't push across the table... go slowly and don't assume that her enthusiasm is anywhere near yours. Unfortunately due to the TV influence, a lot of women attribute more power and "badness" to handguns than to long arms. My ex considered even a .22 revolver a "murder weapon", yet she was fine with my shotguns and rifles... which were an order of magnitude more powerful.

    The last thing you want to do is to start your lady off with a gun that hurts when she shoots it. There's another thread running right now about a guy who got his mom or his wife a lightweight J frame, with a too-stiff DA trigger and a frightful bite from recoil - nothing will discourage the unconvinced faster than shooting a gun that hurts. How about starting off with a .22, even just recreational shooting with a rifle? Get her used to a little bang and no bite, then rent or borrow something like a full-size 9mm or a K-frame in .38 to get used to a centerfire. We hairy-chested cavemen sneer at itty-bitty .380s, but some of them have a real snappy recoil (e.g., a PPK/S). Once she's used to shooting, then it's time to follow the above suggestions and let her try out a few different guns, and let her pick the one she ends up with. Don't forget that small guns are awful for beginners due to their short sight radius and minimal grips!

    Also, in the meantime point her toward Kathy Jackson's excellent web site for women shooters, CorneredCat - http://corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx
    Actually that is good advice. If she hates it because it kicks too hard she won't carry it. I'm going to have my girl shoot my revolvers before we buy her one.

  7. #7
    Member Array bunkiefd4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bunkie, Louisiana
    Posts
    100
    Ok, thanks for the quick input guys. Shockwave, the only thing im worried about is if she goes to buy one and im not around. Knowing her she would pull up at Academy sporting goods and decide to buy a pistol at any moment. She dont know left from right when it comes to firearms. And those knuckle heads behind the counter would sell her anything that she thought was pretty, even if it was a .45 caliber pistol. I dont know guys, maybe im over reacting. Just kinda nervous, wanta make shure I go about this rite way, the last thing I want to do is mess up and turn her away. I was thinking about using my dads 22 pistol and let her shoot that just to get the feel and most importantly LEARN HOW to shoot.

  8. #8
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    22,413
    You can guide her, but let her make the final decision on which gun she wants. Starting her out with a .22 to get use to shooting is a good idea. Once she has the safety aspect down, you can move on to other guns and calibers.

    For size and being concealable a .380 is a good way to go, but now most manufactures are coming out with small single stack 9MM pistols that come close to the .380 in size and weight. If she can shoot a .380 without problems she should be able to handle a 9MM as well. Take her to a range that rents guns and let her try out some. See what she likes.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array goldshellback's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    OKC; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Posts
    4,750
    Quote Originally Posted by bunkiefd4 View Post
    So my question is, what pistols are out there for her that she wont be affraid to shoot. .... im really excited about her wanting to do this. Please help....
    Bunkie, the bestest thing you could do for her is invite her to a range that rents a good selection of sidearms and let her try a few that she likes. Letting her shoot a .22 to introduce her isn't a bad idea either, especially if she's never shot or been around gun much, if at all. Let her choose and decide by all means. A .380 isn't a bad choice at all. And don't discount the .45 ACP either, she might like it. A .40 like your g23 'might' be a bit much to start off with but a positive experience with a number of guns/calibers will give her a baseline knowledge/experience to build on.

    Give her a basic session of the pistols operation and the four rules, then back up a bit. Be there for her questions, to back her up, and support, but make sure it's her mind getting made up.

    Once the both of ya get into this .......look out! A range date is always a good day
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

    (Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

  10. #10
    Member Array bunkiefd4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bunkie, Louisiana
    Posts
    100
    Yea the .22 is a good idea. That way she can learn gun safety, how to load, how to hold a fire arm, how to shoot oh and did I mention gun safety? You know im kinda thinking a 9 might be a option. Guys correct me if im wrong, I thought a 9 and 40 for fairly close and a 10 and a 45 were close. Is that correct? Yall bare with me, as mentioned already im still kinda new to pistols.

  11. #11
    Member Array bunkiefd4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bunkie, Louisiana
    Posts
    100
    Goldshellback I forgot to mention, Think im gonna try out one of those Supertuck deluxe holsters from Crossbreed. Seems to be a nice lil set-up.

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array goldshellback's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    OKC; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Posts
    4,750
    Quote Originally Posted by bunkiefd4 View Post
    Yea the .22 is a good idea. That way she can learn gun safety, how to load, how to hold a fire arm, how to shoot oh and did I mention gun safety? You know im kinda thinking a 9 might be a option. Guys correct me if im wrong, I thought a 9 and 40 for fairly close and a 10 and a 45 were close. Is that correct? Yall bare with me, as mentioned already im still kinda new to pistols.
    Your .40 has a bit more 'snap' to it's recoil. That round was designed for higher pressures in as compact a round as it is.....a 10mm, uh, that's just way too much to start with so . A 9mm is a good round, but like any round when shot through a small, lightweight gun.....it'll bite, so watch out how 'lightweight' the gun is. Now the .45, it's a BIG, HEAVY round but shoots at pretty low pressures. It's a sweet shooting round in a good gun. You .40 is 'snappier' than the .45.....the 9mm is the lesser of the three.

    After a bit of time shooting, your wife will be able to handle just about any self-defense round.

    Quote Originally Posted by bunkiefd4 View Post
    Goldshellback I forgot to mention, Think im gonna try out one of those Supertuck deluxe holsters from Crossbreed. Seems to be a nice lil set-up.
    That's a well-loved holster here and it'll do ya good me thinks. Don't forget that belt either.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

    (Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

  13. #13
    Member Array Flint Ridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Flint Ridge, Missouri
    Posts
    60
    The corneredcat link early on here is pretty much the industry standard for starting point for the ladies. Let us know what she thinks after that.

    Like starting with .22's and don't forget revolvers. This could be a long slow process, but you don't want to ruin her interest.

  14. #14
    Member Array bunkiefd4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bunkie, Louisiana
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint Ridge View Post
    The corneredcat link early on here is pretty much the industry standard for starting point for the ladies. Let us know what she thinks after that.

    Like starting with .22's and don't forget revolvers. This could be a long slow process, but you don't want to ruin her interest.
    Yea im going to introduce her to that cornered cat link when I get home. Yea if it takes a slow process thats ok, just as long as she dont loose interest. Man im really excited about this, I really whant her to learn how to defend her self if she ever has to. On top of that learn how to shoot a firearm becacuse I work 24 hour shifts at the firehouse and she's home alone alot.

  15. #15
    Member Array bunkiefd4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bunkie, Louisiana
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Your .40 has a bit more 'snap' to it's recoil. That round was designed for higher pressures in as compact a round as it is.....a 10mm, uh, that's just way too much to start with so . A 9mm is a good round, but like any round when shot through a small, lightweight gun.....it'll bite, so watch out how 'lightweight' the gun is. Now the .45, it's a BIG, HEAVY round but shoots at pretty low pressures. It's a sweet shooting round in a good gun. You .40 is 'snappier' than the .45.....the 9mm is the lesser of the three.

    After a bit of time shooting, your wife will be able to handle just about any self-defense round.



    That's a well-loved holster here and it'll do ya good me thinks. Don't forget that belt either.
    Hey just noticed this in your sig,
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet........CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, as quoted on Fox & Friends, July 7th, 2008

    All I can say is WOW!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. I'm gonna be in trouble when my wife sees the bank statement
    By dukalmighty in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: February 9th, 2009, 08:02 PM
  2. You're not gonna believe this one-
    By divkat9 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: June 2nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
  3. Gonna try something new
    By Rocnerd in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: March 17th, 2006, 01:52 AM

Search tags for this page

buckmark hammer cock
,
diff between sp101 and gp100
,
exposed hammer
,
failure to fire
,
gripping a pistol
,
handgun holding
,
handgun thumb lose
,
loose thumb gun
,
losing thumb firing revolver
,

photos of someone making a fire from scratch

,
pistol lose your thumb
,

thumb blown off by revolver

Click on a term to search for related topics.