New Issue with my LCP

New Issue with my LCP

This is a discussion on New Issue with my LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up a Ruger LCP a few months back, still love the gun, BUT... Just noticed the other day that there seems to be a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar

New Issue with my LCP

Picked up a Ruger LCP a few months back, still love the gun, BUT...

Just noticed the other day that there seems to be a bit of an issue with the chambered round hanging on the extractor if the muzzle is pressed towards the rear of the firearm slightly. The slide will stick about 1/4 inch out of battery which disengages the firing michanism. Now, the hangup only requires a quick slap to correct, in fact, thumb pressure is enough to free the slide, but I'm thinking that this shouldn't be happening at all.

This is the wifes daily carry, and I've pointed out to her the anomoly and steps to resolve, and really, as the gun is always in a holster, this would only be an issue in VERY close quarters and after having to hit the BG with the muzzle, but there is still that 1:1,000,000 chance that makes me worry.

Has anyone else come across a similar issue with their LCP (or P3AT)? Is this common functionality? Or should I send it back to Ruger to sort it out?

Thanks in advance!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Mine acts like thiS too. More so when the mag is full. I only have 100 rounds through it so I'm hoping it eases up some with another couple boxes through it. There are also heavier recoil springs available that I hear reduce this issue. There is a good lcp specific forum at elsiepeaforum.com.

Actually when chambering a new mag I to sometimes have this problem. Like you it only takes slight pressure to lock into battery, but don't think it should happen. I wonder if buffing the railks and slide would be enough to stop it.

I had considered the "full magazine" issue, so, I tried it without a magazine loaded in the gun at all... same result.

I did look closely, as best I can tell, it is the extractor pushing on the chambered round just enough to make it stick.

Think I'll call Ruger, get their take on it.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Like this?

Mine does it too with a full mag

EXACTLY like that! Except mine sticks even without the mag... I wonder if filing the extractor a hair would resolve it?
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I've been doing some research at the elsiepeaforum, you may want to take a look over there. So far I've read: that it sometimes gets better after break-in, polish the feed ramp, replace the 9# factory recoil spring with a 11# or 13# Wolff spring, live with it, or send it back to Ruger. Mine only does it with the mag inserted and loaded with 5 or 6 rounds, it's the mag spring pressure in my case and apparently pretty common. Is yours a 374- serial #?

Top of my head, not sure on the serial, but 374 sounds right, and according to the video you posted, Ruger is also well aware of it and aren't doing much. (This seems odd for Ruger, but if it's true, it'll make my leap to carrying a Walther a little easier) I will still give CS a call and update the thread with the results, still seems that just "polishing" a hair off the extractor might take care of it.

Thanks for all the help.
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Get a j-frame....that should make the problem moot.

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    Get a j-frame....that should make the problem moot.
    Now that was a helpful suggestion to fix our LCP's, thank you.

mine is in the 371 range for it must be common with all LCP's. Think the wolf spring and a fluff and buff would do the trick.

I believe they recalled the 370- LCPs.
    I've been doing some more reading at the elsiepeaforum (LCP Technical section), some over there say this issue with the slide is common with many small lightweight pistols. There's a lot of info on polishing the feed ramp which sounds like a good idea and I may do anyway, but I don't see how it will make a difference with this problem since it's the top round in the mag pressing against the bottom of the one chambered causing it. I decided to load mine up with some different ammo and see if it made any difference; Gold dots- slide sticks with 1 chambered and 5 or 6 in the mag, Win.- same, L&B FMJ- same, CCI Blazer TMJ- slide DOESN'T stick even with a full mag. Apparently there's less friction on the aluminum cartridges opposed to the brass. Since my LCP only has about 70 rounds through it, think I'll just break it in with another 100+ rounds for now and see how she acts.

That seems like a pretty big issue if it is THAT easy to move the slide to a non-firing position. I hope Ruger will do something about it.

VIP Member
    Get the Wolff Spring pack for the LCP and put a higher force recoil spring in it. Mine has the 13# spring in it and it functions so much better. It seems to me that the higher rated spring changes the characteristics of the LCP completely and it's for the better. IMO. It does make pulling the slide back a little harder...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Shouldve bought the original LCP(P3AT)
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Quote Originally Posted by 9c4me View Post
    I believe they recalled the 370- LCPs.
    I've been doing some more reading at the elsiepeaforum (LCP Technical section), some over there say this issue with the slide is common with many small lightweight pistols. There's a lot of info on polishing the feed ramp which sounds like a good idea and I may do anyway, but I don't see how it will make a difference with this problem since it's the top round in the mag pressing against the bottom of the one chambered causing it. I decided to load mine up with some different ammo and see if it made any difference; Gold dots- slide sticks with 1 chambered and 5 or 6 in the mag, Win.- same, L&B FMJ- same, CCI Blazer TMJ- slide DOESN'T stick even with a full mag. Apparently there's less friction on the aluminum cartridges opposed to the brass. Since my LCP only has about 70 rounds through it, think I'll just break it in with another 100+ rounds for now and see how she acts.
    No, it isn't, it is the extractor pressing the chambered round against the side of the chamber, I was not able to call Ruger today, but will be tomorrow, I'll update the thread tomorrow.
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links