Which Glock 22 Gen should I choose?

This is a discussion on Which Glock 22 Gen should I choose? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been offered a used Glock 22 Gen 2 for $299 or a used Glock 22 Gen 3 for $350. Are those good prices ...

Thread: Which Glock 22 Gen should I choose?

I have been offered a used Glock 22 Gen 2 for $299 or a used Glock 22 Gen 3 for $350.

Are those good prices and is the G3 worth $50 more?

Or should I just burn the $450 and buy new?

I bought a new Gen 4 Glock22 back on 10-11-2010 and I am very satisfied. I like the rough texture frame because it allows for a good solid grip even your hands are damp. I paid $531 delivered to my FFL. I also added a grip plug to fill in the opening behind the magazine well to give a more refined look in my opinion. I really purchased a brand new one because all of the used ones I could find were $450 and up and it just did not make any sense when I could add a few more dollars and buy brand new with no worries if someone has field stripped the gun and put it back together wrong or any number of things because most human beings do not like to read and follow directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    I bought a new Gen 4 Glock22 back on 10-11-2010 and I am very satisfied. I like the rough texture frame because it allows for a good solid grip even your hands are damp. I paid $531 delivered to my FFL. I also added a grip plug to fill in the opening behind the magazine well to give a more refined look in my opinion. I really purchased a brand new one because all of the used ones I could find were $450 and up and it just did not make any sense when I could add a few more dollars and buy brand new with no worries if someone has field stripped the gun and put it back together wrong or any number of things because most human beings do not like to read and follow directions.
    because most human beings do not like to read and follow directions. Boy is that the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    I have been offered a used Glock 22 Gen 2 for $299 or a used Glock 22 Gen 3 for $350.

Are those good prices and is the G3 worth $50 more?

Or should I just burn the $450 and buy new?
    Sounds like pretty fair prices. I would not hesitate to pay $50 more for a Gen3. If the used one appears in good condition then why not save $100 and go for it? They are reliable enough that I wouldn't worry too much about it being a lemon.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    They are reliable enough that I wouldn't worry too much about it being a lemon.
    My intent is if I do get used I'll take it over to Glock (I'm only an hour away from Smyrna) and let them check it out before I fire any rounds.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I buy all my self defense guns new. Period.

I buy sporting rifles, target rifles, plinking and hunting handguns used, but not self defense weapons. SD weapons have to work, you need to know their history, know that nobody has made some modification to them that reduces reliability.

I personally don't like the feel of the Gen 4, but what I'd recommend is to go for a new Gen 3 or new Gen 4, which ever one feels best to you.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    $299 for a used Gen 2 that isn't beat to heck would be a great price around here.

$350.00 for a Gen 3 is almost as good.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The major change between Gen 2 & 3 is what, the rail? Either would work fine, but I'd at least look over (and feel) the Gen 4 if I were shopping for a Glock. I like the smaller basic grip of the Gen 4 G22 over the Gen 3, but that's me and we all have individual preferences.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Gen 3 and 4 Glocks point differently in my hands than the earlier ones, and I believe good pointability to be vital in a defensive weapon. (Gen 1 and Gen 2 point low; it is more than just grip angle at work here.) Your hands probably differ, so check to see if that is a factor.

I would buy new Gen 4 for the slight difference in price, all else being equal, and would not choose .40 S&W as the chambering. I have nothing against .40, but Glock earned its good reputation with 9mm, while earning much of its negative publicity with its .40 versions. One of my G22 pistols was problematic, but I had to use .40, it being mandated by the PD whose badge I wear. I transitioned to the SIG P229, another approved pistol.

I believe the .40 had an advantage over 9mm in the early 1990's, but JHP technology has improved to the point I don't think it matters anymore, if one uses a premium 9mm +P JHP. If I buy a Glock for personal use, it will be 9mm, and probably Gen 4, as those seem to be narrower at a certain point, making a better fit for me; my short thumbs, ring fingers, and pinkies hate wide-body pistols.

Sponsored Links