Police Dept. Trade in G23"s,good guns?

This is a discussion on Police Dept. Trade in G23"s,good guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the chance to pk up a 2nd gen G23 frm ohio pd trade in . Gun they say is fully functional with sme ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police Dept. Trade in G23"s,good guns?

I have the chance to pk up a 2nd gen G23 frm ohio pd trade in . Gun they say is fully functional with
    sme noted hoster wear as noted.Sights are chipped and I will replace them along w guiderod/spring assembly along with ext controls sone bluing touch up an TLC. Out the Door for$338.00 Hopethe inside is good as outside. Ad reads fully functional G23's from ohio PD. I bought one ,hope not a lemon!!
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Well its not blued so dont blue it...LOL It has Tenifer treatmentin the metal. The "bluing" is actually just a black powder coat. Send it to Glock and they will redo it for about 40.00. It wont be any less protected if the black is worn, if you just wanna leave it.

Other wise changing out the springs and such should make it perfectly fine....most police guns are carried a lot shot a little.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I hope it functions like they say and i will replace sights,ext controles,grip plug and hogue grip.
    I also bought a new stock factory glock guiderod/spring assembly. Give it some TLC,clean it well and I have a new holster for it so all should be great.My gunsmith will touch up wear spots and we'll be lookin good!
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Administrator
    It should be just fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd jump on it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am up to 3 police trade in handguns, 1 of them being a Glock.

Most of them run just fine. They tend to have a lot more external wear than internal tear.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reassurance on this piece all, not concerned about cosmetics just hoping that glock reliability when needed is there. I have heard more info that PD trade ins are shot little and just have alot of holster wear from hours on the job. Other sites told me that PD trade ins are beat up and not cared for at all by their carrier. I f I were a LEO my pistol would be overly cared for since it's there to save my life. Just MHO. I bought it and shoot it, clean it up and decide to EDC it or my G27. Just love my sons G23, it just feel like it belongs in my hand!
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

I have one PD trade in and it had holster wear, but the inside looked new. I was going to replace all the springs, but could find any wear on them. I started to ask around and I was told PD's replace the springs before they are put on the market for liability reasons. From the one example I have, I would have to say that is true. Look it over, the price is right in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'd jump on it...
    Yep, me too.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Thanks Kid, I was excited when I won the bid price! I would have got one eventually at a show or pawn shop. My son and I shot togeather this past week,his G23 and my G27. Not to knock the G27,small accurate but grip is important,even w/pearce it dose'nt feel as good as the 23. I noticed drawing from iwb holster that I have a better feeling grabbing the G23's slightly larger grip,just feels safer to me. G23 will conceal well and I don't think twice about possibly printing as much as i used to,after all it's legally concealed.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

I jumped on some police trade in's once and got some real good deals. Actually 2 of them were brand new guns that had just been sent to the armory but had never been issued to any officers!! WooHoo!! I got some M22's and M23's and they sold real fast. I ended up keeping one of the new M22's for myself because it had the department logo engraved into the slide. Brand new gun for used price!!!!
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

I spotted this one on gunbroker from Ohio PD,they had several for under $400.00 and fully functional without issues except cosmetic wear. Last week they had a detroit PD trade in with the depts. logo on it, i just missed it in the auction,would have been cool piece!
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It should be just fine.

^^^^^^^^I agree with this^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
    I hope it functions like they say and i will replace sights,ext controles,grip plug and hogue grip.
    I also bought a new stock factory glock guiderod/spring assembly. Give it some TLC,clean it well and I have a new holster for it so all should be great.My gunsmith will touch up wear spots and we'll be lookin good!

Why would you go and repalce all that??

Spring maybe, all the rest , not so much.

You could have bought a new one for a couple bucks more than what you will have into that one , once you replace things that shouldn't need replacing.

That gun has history[scratches & wear marks] and character. Don't take that away!!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

My ex-wife works for a local sheriffs dept. and I was able to get two G22's for 285$ each. One was carried alot, the cheap plastic sights were dented and deformed , otherwise it shot good. The second one was a jail gun that was hardly used, no holster wear or much wear on the barrel. Both shot the same and were a great deal. I sold them later for a profit when I became a XDm convert.

Administrator
    I wouldn't replace anything unless it absolutely needed to be replaced.
    You got a good deal on a used firearm so if you are going to automatically sink unnecessary "aftermarket money" into it then you should have just purchased a new one.

And I sure would not be concerned about cosmetic "holster wear" because all handguns that are daily carried eventually show surface wear unless they are industrial hard chromed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links