Revolver opinions needed

This is a discussion on Revolver opinions needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, I like a bit of heft in a defensive weapon. My alloy-framed S&W stays in the safe most of the time, while ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revolver opinions needed

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    First of all, I like a bit of heft in a defensive weapon. My alloy-framed S&W stays in the safe most of the time, while at least one of my SP101 snubbies is carried daily. Quite often, I carry two of them, and it is difficult to tell they are in the holsters, unless I touch them. (Wear a good belt.)

Secondly, an SP101 is built on a slightly larger frame, so it handles more like a duty/service-sized revolver, at least in my hands. I can shoot an SP101 faster than a lightweight J-snub, with accuracy that rivals a service pistol.

Hammers? Who cocks a hammer during a fight? After owning two SP101s with spur-less hammers for a while, I did buy one with a hammer, for two reasons: to be compatible with a particular horizontal shoulder holster, and so I could experiment with long-range SA shooting. One thing I noticed is that the spur is so small, anyway, it never eats clothes or snags on the draw, as some S&W hammer spurs had certainly done over the years. So, in my opinion, spur or spur-less matters little with these Rugers, at least as I use them.

By the way, thanks to changing eyesight, as I charge reluctantly into middle age, I never did experiment with long-range SA snub shooting. My first set of prescription eyewear, however, arrives this week.

I recently bought my fourth .357 Mag SP101, with a 3.06" barrel, specifically with my retirement years in mind. I now mostly carry one of my duty autopistols off the clock, with revolvers serving a secondary role. I own my duty pistols, but they may get some rest after I retire. I love the way a 3.06" SP101 balances more toward the muzzle than the 2.25" snubbier ones.

Edited to add: My avatar is a rare version of 3" GP100, not an SP101.

2. Remove Ads

Another vote for the SP101. The weight is a good thing; just get a quality carry rig and you're good to go
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

You need both....seriously....you need an Airweight like the S&W 642 for pocket carry. The stainless guns are too heavy for practical pocket carry unless you're 6' 3" and wear cargo pants. The Airweight is best loaded with plain .38's or .38 +P if you must. If you're going to carry IWB, or OWB, then the heavier S&W 640 or the Ruger SP101 is perfect. You may hope/plan to shoot little and carry a lot but I'm hoping you'll carry a lot and shoot a lot. The heavier weight on a good belt with good holster isn't a problem but the guy who mentioned the gun he has on him when he's working around the house is spot on. It's no fun putting on my 1911 for working on the cars. the J frame in a pocket or even IWB is ideal.

If you're going to carry a heavier gun IWB the you're right as far as reliability, however, I'd like to point out that worn IWB, a small auto will typically be more comfortable because of it's flat profile. The cylinder for a revolver makes a buldge (yes, even with a J frame) that can be uncomfortable. Even when worn OWB, it can cause the whole package to stick farther out from the body than you might think.

I too love a simple decent revolver. Seems like less of a hassel. Easy to prove reliable, don't have to mess with magazines but the truth be told, once you're on the waist, you can usually carry more rounds in a more shootable package, far more comfortably than J frames. J frames do tend to be carried a lot because of convenience but they're hard to shoot consistently well and most people are slow as toast reloading them and for the same or better comfort you could carry something with more rounds that's a lot easier to shoot with less perceived recoil.

Even my Kahr MK9 seems mall compared to a J frame on the waist but it holds 2 more round of a better caliber and I can shoot it Soooooo much better. Recoils almost non-existent due to the weight and the gun is absolutely reliable and always has been with any 9mm round I've ever put in it.

So I can understand the appeal of one gun over another for a lot of different reasons but at the end of the day, concealed carry is all about compromises and balancing one feature against another. But ALWAYS ask yourself this one question...

If you ever really do have to use this gun to defend your life, what would you like it to be? Sure we'd say a shotgun so we have to compromise and be realistic but if you're simply honest and realistic about the answer to this question then between a 5 shot J frame that's a bear to reload and kicks hard even with .38's and I'm lucky to hit the broad side of a barn versus a smooth, soft shooting 9mm that I can hit a coke can all day long with. Well that's your question and only "your" answer matters, not mine, or anyone else because if it happens, you're the one who lives with your choices.

As for the SP101 I have one that's 3" and for concealed carry I wish I have the shorter one with the factory bobbed hammer.

For a pure SD type gun....
    -no safeties is best (except what's between your ears and keeping your finger off the trigger)
    -no mag disconnects; if someone wrestles your gun from you you're not going to drop your mag and fool them, you're going to be in deep kimshi! but if you forget to seat a mag or eject it in the excitement!!!
    -An auto reload will always be faster than any revolver for you and me. I've seen the video's of some guys but that's not you and me!
    -99 times out of a hundred you'll be just point shooting; seems we ought to practice that more
    -you'll wish you had the largest caliber you can actually shoot well if you ever use it.
    -good SD guns don't make good range guns and vice versa

Have fun and be safe. Get a heavy J frame, get the Airweight for the dedicated pocket carry and get a good reliable, concealable 9mm and make sure it's relable. Then you'll be good to go. Get them all the same. What I mean by that is no manual safety, just point, pull the trigger and bam. that way all of your shooting is the same. So if you ever go to defend yourself you'll do what you always do and believe me that is in fact what you'll do; what you always do. always catch your brass out of a revolver? You may do that in an SD situation so don't do it at the range.

You get the point.

God Bless
    Gideon

I don't have a SP101 but I like your thinking. I also carry a .357 wheel gun, mine is a Dan Wesson 15-2 .357 4" barrel. My thought is if I ever have to use a firearm in self defense I want to be sure that what I shoot will go down and stay down. I hope that this never happens, but when I pull the trigger I want to hear a bang not a click, and that is where your SP101 wheel gun comes into play. Great choice!

Jeekers! Thanks! A lot to consider here with lots of opinions, but…that’s what I asked for : D

So, we are all across the board here with heavy revolver advocates, ultra-light models and semi-auto fans as well. Luckily, I’m pretty open to ideas.

I used to own a P239 and some consider that an excellent CCW. There was something about that pistol I couldn’t get passed. Primarily the trigger guard cramping my middle finger, even after adding Hogue grips. In the end, I couldn’t stand to even pick it up…so I sold it. In its replacement I bought a CZ P-01…another considered to be a top notch CCW pistol. Actually, I love that gun. But, it’s just a hair larger than I would like for EDC…but I haven’t actually tried it for EDC either. I played with a XDc with extended mag…very nice gun! Smaller than my P-01, but not by much. As far as range gun and CCW pistols go, I think my P-01, the XDc and probably an M&Pc with extended mag covers both bases adequately.

Anyway, if I go with a revolver (after reading the input here), I think a dedicated CCW model makes the most sense… which IMO means a lightweight alloy model in .38 special only.

And…the laser? Well, I’ll think about that some more. I could see it being pretty dang handy in the house,, at night. You wouldn’t have to hold the piece near your face which would allow you to scan the scene better and get the whole picture better.

I carry an airweight S&W 442. It's so easy to carry that I'm never without it. It's my pocket pistol, and it works fantastic

If you're leaning to a lightweight .38 special, it's hard to beat. Unless you like the stainless look, then there's it's brother the 642.

another lightweight option, that's getting a lot of good reviews, is the LCR. I was checking out the LCR, but found that I liked the 442 better.

Whichever ya get, make sure that you post in the Superduper Snubbie Thread
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    The SP101 is a great choice. I have a 2 1/4" model, with a hammer, and I carry it quite a bit. You can always have the hammer bobbed, but I don't see the need. I also have a S&W 642 which is lighter than the SP101, but I usually choose the Ruger. The 642 is relegated to summer carry, in cargo shorts, typically. The only thing I would do differently is get the SP101 in the 3" model. The added length gives a bit more performance than the 2 1/4" barrel, a longer sight radius and some extra recoil reduction. I wouldn't shoot 357's in the alloy S&W's.

I'd get the Ruger. You can always get a 642 for summertime...
    ^^^ My sentiments exactly. I also have a SP101 2 and 1/4" barel SP101 with spurred hammer. I have 14 handguns and I find this one to be one I carry more than any. I love it, it is accurate, and easy to carry. I also have a S&W 442, and unless I'm carrying in some manner that absolutely necessitates the lighter weight, the SP101 gets the nod. I also often carry these two snubs together (strong side .357 IWB and weak side .38 pocket). I think the 3" would have suited me better, but the shorter barrel has worked out just fine. I've also become very accurate with it to distances I never thought possible with a snub. With a little practice, the accuracy is great. These are awesome weapons, and one of the very few new weapons on the market today with no injection molded parts at all. ALL STAINLESS STEEL inside and out. You just can't possibly go wrong with an SP101 in .357 Magnum.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I think you would do just fine with a SP101 in either length barrel. As others have mentioned a good belt is the key along with a good holster that holds the gun close to your side. I carry a S&W M19 4" in a Fist OWB holster almost year round and love it so I don't see a problem (for me) with a two or three inch revolver such as a SP101. I hope that what ever you decide works out for you. BTW I do have a S&W 340 M&P pocket rocket that get church duty most of the time.
    SCGunLover1

Well...I just looked at an Airweight and a SP101 side by side. Gideon has it right...I need both.

I am going to chime in and toot the 17oz LCR .357 magnum horn for the umteenth time. I think it is superior to the Sp101 and S&W airweight in every way for concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I am going to chime in and toot the 17oz LCR .357 magnum horn for the umteenth time. I think it is superior to the Sp101 and S&W airweight in every way for concealed carry.
    I posted this http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...er-lcr-kaboom/ in the LCR/Bodyguard thread to see if anyone had more information about it...nobody has responded yet.

Looks like a squib to me. No follow up pretty much assures that or else they would be all over the net again bashing it. Without expert opinion and analysis, I can't just go by the blog of the instructor. You can find that ion nearly every weapon out there..... I have 1400 rounds through mine now, 50% of them magnum or +P loads. How many more have you seen reported?

Just like this smith ccandium.... one off incident with no professional diagnosis available http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/05...hears-in-half/

One more opinion: Shooting is a perishable skill. Folks who CC and don't practice often with their primary weapon are just fooling themselves. Are you willing to put yourself through the punishment of a lot of rounds through a super light weight revolver? I like the SP 101 and with Trausch grips can tolerate magnum loads. Factory grips it's 38's for me. I like to shoot most guns but have no desire to try a featherweight revolver with stout loads.

I enjoy shooting and do it as often as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Looks like a squib to me. No follow up pretty much assures that or else they would be all over the net again bashing it. Without expert opinion and analysis, I can't just go by the blog of the instructor. You can find that ion nearly every weapon out there..... I have 1400 rounds through mine now, 50% of them magnum or +P loads. How many more have you seen reported?

Just like this smith ccandium.... one off incident with no professional diagnosis available http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/05...hears-in-half/
    Agreed...I didn't know if there were more incidents, that's why I was asking.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links