Revolver opinions needed

This is a discussion on Revolver opinions needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mine is a 7 shot - .357 with a 2 1/2" barrel, and have no issues shooting it, shooting it accurately and quickly on target. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revolver opinions needed

Mine is a 7 shot - .357 with a 2 1/2" barrel, and have no issues shooting it, shooting it accurately and quickly on target. What I carry most of the time. Find one you like, forget the lightweight, featherweight, etc.... and get a 'regular' weight revolver, and go for it. The SP101 is a decent choice, so I'ld say stick with that.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Yep, compromises are tough! And any single choice is going to be a compromise, given the realities of physics :-) Small, medium, large, revolver, auto, heavy, light--they do different things well. Then factor in clothing & holsters--a whole new batch of variables, as a perfect holster can tame a bigger/heavier gun. I love all kinds of classic, well-made handguns, so that doesn't help narrow it down much :-) I wish I knew whether I would need 5-6 shots, or more. . .but there's no telling.

And although mileage varies, my personal experience in 50+ years of shooting is that my revolvers have only jammed one time with factory ammo, when a case split (on a .32 Long, of all things!) Others have hung up when I ejected empties less than smartly. Neither stoppage would have been cleared easily under stress & time pressure. In my shooting with autos, I've had malfunctions with almost every type I've owned that was pre-1980s technology, EXCEPT my service 1911A1 that I fired under range conditions only for 5 years w/o malfunction. I've never had a Beretta M-9/92 jam, and my limited experience with very modern autos has been generally much more positive than my classics. Often the malfunctions were ammo- or magazine-related, but that would be cold comfort in a crisis.

Where does that leave me? I use an M-9 for HD, with Federal ammo that all of my M-9's and 92's have liked. Car gun is a Beretta 1935 with ammo it likes, although soon it will become a backup to a revolver. Although I'm 52, I've only carried concealed for 6 months & I usually carry my Remington 51 .380, sometimes with another classic auto as a backup. I sometimes carry a S&W Mod 60 with 158g LSWCHP +P, and it will be carried it a lot when the weather heats up here in LA (it's stainless). Other times, I carry a S&W J frame in 2" or 4", caliber .38 S&W, with my own 200g LFP handloads. I check every cartridge--including my spare carry ammo--in every chamber before I carry it concealed, and I check cylinder rotation to ensure no poorly-seated primers jam the gun.

So, I guess I'm a lousy guy to ask! But. . .if I carried one gun, and were to select it purely for its utility. . .I'd select an S&W Airweight .38, practice mostly with wadcutters & carry it with 135g Speer SB GD or 158g LSWCHP +P, whichever is most tolerable in that lightweight beast! I'd select it over any lightweight/compact auto due to my perception of reliability & ammo effectiveness.

Best of luck figuring out what works for you!

I really like the SP101 5720.....that is on my short list of guns to have. I love that trigger....

I recently switched to a "new" Bodyguard 38 and so far I love it, my heavier Smith has been in the safe for a while. Lighter is better for me, and it is very tolerable in the recoil department. I have not had a problem or complaint with it. But guns are so personal its all about who is behind the trigger.

Sonic,

You and I seem to have been on the same path. I actually have a SP101 3" and it is my favorite handgun bar none. If I could have only one it would be it. However, I cannot get comfortable carrying it. It is too heavy and long for ankle or pocket carry which seem to be the carry methods that I have become most comfortable with. So, I moved down to a Taurus model 85 blue steel. It is shorter but carrying for long periods of time sort of got old for me as well. Long story short, I claimed my wife's 642 and consider it to be perfect for every day carry in "most" situations for me. I think the 15 oz. range is just about right. A lot of folks don't mind the heavier gun but I quickly found myself deciding to go "naked" because of the size and weight issue. So, the 642 is my choice for EDC in pocket and/or ankle carry. I also am a bit paranoid about printing so I've gone through several pocket holsters for it. I have a Mika on the way and feel like I will be set with it based on my research. If the lump is too big for some types of my "dress" I recently bought a small 380 for flatness and shorter pockets. I settled on the Sig 238 based on the feel. It is almost exactly the same weight as the 642 but is shorter and flatter to disappear in shorts or thin pants. So, I have concluded that for me the lighter weight and smaller guns are more important to ensure that I will be carrying. Now, for a home invasion scenario or woods carry my SP101 would get the first grab while I worked my way to the 12 gauge. I agree that you need both the SP and 642. I think a fellow would be set with those two. Let us know what you decide.

Anyone have a 357 LCR and a 327 NIghtguard? I have already decided on the LCR and may add the Nightguard later. The Nightguard would be my OWB gun and is fairly light for 8 shots!! I could load them both with these.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=105

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    After seeing Zip777's post of his S&W 649 Bodyguard with its new Hogue Grips, I think that would be the revolver that I would want for concealed carry, if I was to carry a revolver.

Here I am a dedicated and fervent pistol guy too, yet his revolver makes even me want to get a 649 Bodyguard too.

Zip777's S&W is truly awesome:

If you want a 357 magnum, i suggest the first photo. It is a Taurus 357 magnum 5 shot steel frame... think it weighs in around 23 ounces. Shrouded hammer means you can get used to recoil without learning a flinch, and also it is safe for pocket carry with a pocket holster of course. Second and third photo is my Smith 642, and 442 with CT grips... love em, but they are difficult to shoot well. The heavier 357 is easier to shoot IMHO. Good luck. Bunker
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Here is one nobody has suggested........get a used Smith and Wesson Model 65 .357 mag with a 3 inch barrell. Doesn't get much better in a K-frame magnum CCW revolver.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Here is one nobody has suggested........get a used Smith and Wesson Model 65 .357 mag with a 3 inch barrell. Doesn't get much better in a K-frame magnum CCW revolver.
    Actually, that is indeed a good suggestion to make. As many have noted, the .357 is a bear to shoot in a small, light gun. A K, L frame Smith would really be better suited for comfortable shooting.

There are a fair number of used Model 65's out in circulation. If one found a good one, then had a bright polish job done on it, and a short grip installed, you would end up with a gun looking just like this Model 65:

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    The only thing that is a negative with the older K-frame magnums is that they shouldn't be fed a steady diet of full house magnum 125 gr. loads. These are the type of guns that you practice with .38 Special and use the .357 rounds for carry.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I had the S&W 637 and traded up to the Ruger SP101...best thing in trades I've done. What a tank, it takes .38's and .357, and my great great grandkids won't wear it out.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Actually, this whole thread depresses me........it's brought back thoughts of me selling my pristine 6" Colt King Cobra. Obviously, it's not the carry topic that brings this back, just revolvers in general.

I would go for an Airweight S&W J frame or a Ruger LCR.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Yes TWO GUNS, I'm leaning that way. I have to keep in mind the intended purpose and S&W fits my need better. The SP101 is highly desirable and has always been on my list. Just a well made, solid piece. One that I'd be proud to own. But that's more of an emotional level.

.....and the LCR is one I'll look at closer, it would fit the purpose as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links