Defensive Carry banner

Toss Up: Ruger LCR or S&W Bodyguard?

77K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  trev869 
#1 ·
My wife wants a compact revolver to carry. I did some research and noticed the Ruger LCR has been getting some great reviews. Then, I took her out to look at revolvers and we saw the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard as well. We are almost sold on the Ruger, but the S&W wasn't all that bad either. We need help.

From what I can gather, the S&W seems like a "rush job" to emmulate the LCR. Both revolvers feel good, price was similar and either one would serve the purpose for what it was designed. Here are some pros and cons.

LCR has a cam-opperated trigger pull that was easy to opperate. Polyer and titanium frame, Houge grips and a larger backstrap. Was pricey but I liked it and so did the wife.

Bodyguard has similar frame, weight and was less in price. I didn't like the built in laser. Turn on switch was on top near the newly positioned cylinder release. I didn't care much for the top mounted release. The S&W seemed a bit on the heavy side for it's size.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the Ruger LCR, it just seems like the better revolver.

Any input from the gang here will be most appreciated.

See less See more
#8 ·
LCR .357 is the best of both worlds
That's what I was thinking^^^ options are always better.

I'm a Smith Guy, but would get a LCR .357 over the BodyGuard. Only way I see myself getting a bodyguard is if I wake up and am have turned left handed some how. (because of the ambix cylinder release on the BG)

#9 ·
I've shot both and much prefer the LCR. I'm also not a fan of the laser implementation on the S&W Bodyguard. It's not instinctually activated like the Crimson Trace lasers.

#10 ·
i have handled and shot both and i feel the smith fits my hands better. My mom carries the smith and it was hers that i shot. trigger breaks easy there is no additional travel on the trigger, the recoil is manageble and I much prefer the slimmer grip of the smith to the LCR

#14 ·
I bought the LCR for my wife, and we both love it. It points very naturally, recoil is manageable, weight is negligible, great trigger... in fact, I like hers so much that I may be getting another one for my EDC :)

Reactions: .XX
#19 ·
Thank you all for the vital input! :35:

I know I was pretty much "sold" on the LCR but you all have backed up my belief.

Ruger LCR it is! We may try to find a .357 version so she can have 2 calibers in one revolver. They are a bit hard to find in .357 though and I am sure she would be very satisfied with a .38 special version.

#29 ·
I do have a fiance who bleeds me dry from time to time. I just got lucky and sold my properties at the 2005 boom in Phoenix and paid cash in a lower priced rural area and paid all my bills off. oh and I dont want kids, that is why i have money:smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.