Sig P250

This is a discussion on Sig P250 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; going to pick up a new CCW tomorrow in the form of a 250SC in 9mm. im going from carrying a fullsize HK USP .40 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sig P250

Sig P250

going to pick up a new CCW tomorrow in the form of a 250SC in 9mm. im going from carrying a fullsize HK USP .40 to this.

and thoughts or advice on my new pistol?

2. Remove Ads

Other than it being a very bad choice?

just curious as to why you feel its a bad choice?

Every report from what I deem trustworthy sources hasn't had anything good to say about them. In the recent ATF test where the glock and M&P where approved for acquisition the sig 250 was rejected for reliability issues. This culminated in sig disputing the testing, claiming the test placed too much emphasis on reliability. How that is possible, I do not know.

The Air Marshals also recently bought a bunch of 250s to replace their 229s. They were unable to issue the 250 due to reliability problems.

ill definitely keep that in mind, but with my first hand experience with the one my friend owns and ive shot. We put a touch under 2k rounds through one in a weekend with only 2 failure to loads or ejects IIRC. and thats with WWB ammo. and at $350 NIB out the door im feeling pretty good about it.

For $50 more you can get a lightly used glock or M&P. $100 more gets you a new glock or M&P. Why skimp on something that, if needed, will be use to save yourself from serious injury or death.

The glock and M&P were proven more reliable than the p250 in while being tested alongside each other. The total cost of the ownership will be much higher than the initial purchase price of the gun. Start looking at new sights, holster, mags, and most importantly ammo costs over the life of the gun, and the $50-$100 you save will be a tiny fraction of that total cost. So why not spend that on a gun that will in all likelihood prove more reliable and have a larger aftermarket for sights, holsters, and spare parts? What happens in 5 or 10 years when sig stops making the 250 due to the dismal results they've been having and you're stuck with a gun that's gone the way of the dodo bird?

do you know exactly what caused the sig to fail? or what the failing point was.

RKM
    A good friend of mine has one. No matter how much I shoot it, I can't get past it's trigger pull. Double taps are slow. It takes concentration to make an accurate shot. I'd say I like everything about the gun but it's trigger pull, but trigger pull is has A LOT to do with why a gun is good. He likes it, but he doesn't seem to be 100% happy with it.

I guess the trigger pull is all preference, but I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by leman View Post
    do you know exactly what caused the sig to fail? or what the failing point was.
    It failed the test due to the unacceptable number of malfunctions, but I don't know the breakdown of the malfunctions.

leman - if you have handled it and love it, go for it. I own one and I'm perfectly happy with it, and trust it enough to carry it. Guns are like wine or cigars some people like one kind or another. If the P250 is what you want and you can shoot it proficiently enough to defend your life, do it.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I've heard the initial model had some issues but i've had mine for nearly a year... put 1000 rounds of PMC bronze without a single firearm-caused malfunction (had one round that did not properly feed but i'm certain that was my error). I've also shot a few hundred rounds of winchester white box and various defensive rounds, again flawlessly. This gun apparently does not like blazer - i shot 1 box of 50 roudns and problably had 4 FTE's.

The trigger on it is great; i'm not an experienced shooter by any means but after you put a few hundred rounds through it gets better and better. For me there was an adjustment period with the DA pull because i'd never shot one before and thought that the gun was causing my accuracy issues, but as it turned out i had no clue what i was doing. I'm still putting pretty rough groups up beyond 12 yards (only shooting once a quarter will dot hat :/) but at 7-10 yards i've gotten a lot better, especially with "rapid" fire and "double taps" (quoted because an experienced/pro shooter would laugh at my double taps/rapid fire)

I should probably mention that this firearm is my EDC and primary home defense weapon (as its currently my only gun :( ); Maybe i got a bizzaro-lemon or something but i would not hesitate to use this firearm in self defense; I've got absolutely no doubt in my mind that every time i pull the trigger, provided that its got a full magazine and a round in the chamber thats not blazer, it will fire.

Also, I have one 16 round magazine (out of the 5 i have) that strangely will not lock back when empty if i do not use the slide stop to drop the mag (when it was loaded)... weird issue but its only happened on one mag.

All and all a great gun; the bashing is largely hearsay thats been going around since it first came out. I think sig got it right with the newer version. If the price is right i'd go for it.

also,

These records show that ATF's agents recorded 58 stoppages with Sig Sauer's full-size and compact pistols, 13 of which were considered to be gun-induced and 45 shooter-induced.[4]
    (to be fair there were no gun-induced stoppages with the S&W or glock)

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    leman - if you have handled it and love it, go for it. I own one and I'm perfectly happy with it, and trust it enough to carry it. Guns are like wine or cigars some people like one kind or another. If the P250 is what you want and you can shoot it proficiently enough to defend your life, do it.

thats one of the most important things i have always heard when picking out a gun. even after firing a thousand rounds out of it i was not "tired" of shooting like i have been with other guns. it still put the same smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    I've heard the initial model had some issues but i've had mine for nearly a year... put 1000 rounds of PMC bronze without a single firearm-caused malfunction (had one round that did not properly feed but i'm certain that was my error). I've also shot a few hundred rounds of winchester white box and various defensive rounds, again flawlessly. This gun apparently does not like blazer - i shot 1 box of 50 roudns and problably had 4 FTE's.
    thats good to hear. and since the gun will be NIB it should be a new model. i will check serial numbers and be going over the whole gun when i get it.

I have the 9mm P250 2Sum (Subcompact and Full sized grip assemblies, barrels and guide rods with one fire control module). I've had it since last Feb and have had no reliability issues. I have grown used to the trigger and were it not for the short grip on the SC, I would carry it. The trigger (to me) is similar to a Kahr DAO with a bit more travel). It is smooth and consistent. Sig reps say that they will soon (next month or so) introduce an adapter that will cover the gap between the frame and bottom of the 15 round mag (the SC uses a 12 round mag). This will lengthen the grip and I will likely start carrying the SC. The full sized frame makes a great range/bed stand gun. Contrary to what some say, you can get fast follow up shots with practice. Enjoy the gun. By the way, Top Gun Supply is a good source for magazines.

I have owned a 250 for over a year now and have not had one single malfunction. Have taken it to the local indoor range and taken the drive to the outdoor range several times and it has performed very well and not disappointed me at all. I like it so much that I have made it my primary EDC. Personally, I have no complaints or issues with the pistol. Seems like other 250 owners feel the same way. Be happy and confident with your new pistol, enjoy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links