Defensive Carry banner

Considering a transition to the Ruger SR40 and SR9c from my Glock 23

18K views 50 replies 42 participants last post by  Kennydale 
#1 ·
I have recently had the chance to handle the Ruger SR9/40 full sized and the Ruger SR9c and I have to say, i really like the way they feel in my hand. So much so, that I am seriously considering transitioning my carry piece to them from my long carried G23. The main factor is that the grip fits my hand so much better on the Ruger as opposed to the Glock.

I need to actually do some shooting with the Ruger but as it stands right now, after holding the Ruger, I can't get it out of my head.

#36 ·
I own a SR9c and a SR40, both stainless. I have about 1500 rounds and 500 rounds downrange (respectively), without any issues. I like the ergonomics of the Ruger SR series pistols (obviously). My frequent range buddy has a Glock 19. We have often switched pistols at the range. He can keep his Glock, it is a good pistol, but the Glock is uncomfortable to me. To each his own.

I would recommend Ruger SR series pistols to anyone.

YMMV,
boomer :icon_cool:

#37 · (Edited)
Ruger SR40C

I am new to shooting. I am 62 on disability. It's a tough world out there and i wanted to be prepared. went with a friend and shot an array of his guns. He is a Ruger fan big time. I tried out his LCP, SR9C, SR40C, and his SR1911. I also tried his SR556 with 22LR ammo and his OLDMAN a 1943 M1 Garand (That was a blast). he also had a 1990's Glock ( I think it was a 17?) The trigger pull and reset was really nice, but the gun I really fell in love with was the SR40C... So I purchased one at a gun show and got a really good deal on it with the 10+1 magazine & The Extended magazine... Price wise Vs quality I am really happy.

#38 ·
I've shot an SR9c enough to know it's plenty accurate and dependable but I wouldn't start carrying it over my Glock. The two things that I really dislike are the safety and the safety. LOL. Really, I don't want a safety on my carry gun but beyond my objection to it being there, my fingers hit it all the time when I'm racking the slide. I guess I could come up with a different way of doing things but since I train, train, train to do things a certain way with my carry weapon, it's just natural that I'd do things that way with other pistols as well.

Were it not for the safety, I don't think I'd have any problems with it. I love the way it aims and the sights.

#39 ·
I have a SR9 and shoot it accurately. It has a Magazine safety also. If the magazine releases with one in the chamber, the gun wont fire. I removed it in under 2 minutes, when I saw it done on youtube. If it shoots without a problem after a couple hundred rounds I would carry it. I might even get a SR45.

#41 ·
Here you go Mike!

Glock to M&P is to SIXTO as Glock to Ruger is to TN_Mike!

Counter intervention!!!

Whatever you decide you will always have the Glock to fall back on if you like and you have justified buying another handgun!

#42 ·
I too am doing the glock to ruger transition. I still have a glock 22 and I am carrying my SR40C for EDC. So far it has been a great gun. I love the fit and feel in my hand, it carries nicely and it is very accurate. The one problem I have found is their is not a huge selection of night sights available if you decide to change to night sights. Holster selection is less limited but not as great as glock. On the plus the SR9C and 40C are the same size its not so bad. Overall I think you will be more than pleased.

#49 ·
The SR9c isn't a step down. As it happens, I own a Glock 23 and an SR9c.

The SR9c has a superior trigger. It has a very low bore, and a fantastic recoil spring. It is a very flat-shooting design. The extractor is beefy, and mine consistently slings cases strongly to the right. 0 fails in > 2,000 rounds fired. This is my light clothing CCW, and I trust it completely.

The Glock manages a 4" barrel and 13+1 capacity in a package that is barely larger than the SR9c. It also has a superior surface treatment, which I appreciate more than I thought I would. It's obviously reliable, as well.

Either one is a great choice.

#51 ·
The only difference i am going to do with mine, is I am going to leave that base off of the extended magazine . Use 10+1 in weapon and the exended Mag in pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.