Defensive Carry banner

Considering a transition to the Ruger SR40 and SR9c from my Glock 23

18K views 50 replies 42 participants last post by  Kennydale 
#1 ·
I have recently had the chance to handle the Ruger SR9/40 full sized and the Ruger SR9c and I have to say, i really like the way they feel in my hand. So much so, that I am seriously considering transitioning my carry piece to them from my long carried G23. The main factor is that the grip fits my hand so much better on the Ruger as opposed to the Glock.

I need to actually do some shooting with the Ruger but as it stands right now, after holding the Ruger, I can't get it out of my head.

#2 ·
HERESY!! What kind of self respecting Glockophile would even think of switching!!! J/K

Not being a Glock person myself, I just know that when I have handled them, the fit in my hand was not what I wwas looking for. If the Ruger fits you better, and you shoot it the same or better than the Glock, then go for it.

#3 ·
I'd go for it, I'm in the process of getting rid of one of my semi-autos and getting a SP101 because it fits me better and I would be able to depend on it more. If you like it, go for it. I personally think the SR9's are ugly, but they sure do feel pretty in my hand too

#5 ·
Stop worrying about how the grip feels and worry about how you shoot. I recently had to switch from M&Ps to glock due to departmental policy, and was initially dismayed at how poorly the glock grip fit my hand when compared to the M&P.

Then I went and shot them, noticed no difference in the results, and stopped whining.

Switching from one of the most proven pistol platforms on earth with one of the most extensive selections of sights, holsters, aftermarket parts, and greatest availability of factory spare parts and mags to an unproven newly minted gun that's already appearing to be an also ran sounds like an extremely poor decision. It appears even worse when you haven't even shot the Ruger.

#6 ·
Well following your posts...you have made this "mistake" before and went back to the G23. Get the Ruger if you want it, but the Glock is a better choice IMO. I am slightly biased as I carry the g23 and love it but, I know you have switched and came back too.

#8 ·
True. But the reason I went back to the Glock from my XD 40 is that the XD is bulkier and hald less ammo. The Ruger does not have this problem.

And I would not call the SR9/40 an "also ran". I'm not sure where you are reading this kind of report Texag, but I have seen very, very little in the way of negative reports on the SR series.

#7 ·
The SR 9/40 series seem to be good guns. They do feel better in the hand than any of the Glocks in my opinion. They do shoot good, both the standard and the compact version. They are much slimer and definately look better than a Glock.

I say go for it, nothing wrong with stepping away from the Glock side.

#11 ·
The SR series Rugers are great weapons. I personally like the SR40 full size over the compacts. The SR9c shoots very well too. Find a range that you can shoot both the 9 and 40 in full size and compact to see what you prefer. If you can swing it, get the Ruger and keep you g23 until you are sure the platform suits you well. I have a very hard time ever selling a handgun...I just keep adding. I never have seller's remorse that way.

#40 ·
i twice sent guns back to Ruger FOR REPAIRS when i called Ruger they said send us the gun and they would fix it. I SENT THE GUN AND THEY FIXED IT but each time i had to pay $50.00 to have it overnighted. So i would really like to know how it was on there expense.

#17 ·
Get whatever fits best in your hand and you can shoot well. Nonetheless, I think that Glock is way better than Ruger. If you want to upgrade to something more ergonomic and high quality, then take a look at the Walther P99AS or an H&K P30. They are some of the most ergonomic and reliable pistols out there...plus, they are beautiful guns.

#18 ·
The SR9c comes with the 9 rd mag and 17 rd mag, but I feel more comfortable with the 9 rd mag in. It fits my hand like a glove especially with the pinky extension it comes with. I didn't care much for the 17 rd mag. Like the other guy was saying, it all depends how it feels in your hands.

#19 ·
It's a 10 round magizine...
I traded my Glock 22 on a SIG 226 before the SR40 had come out. Otherwise I would have gotten the 40 sooner.
I own a SR9c, SR40, LCP and plan on getting the SR9 after I get the LC9.

I like the looks of Rugers better then Glocks.....:smile:

But that's me.

Lateck,

#20 ·
Clocks are great pistols but they don't feel right in my hands. I have over 1400 flawless rounds through my SR9c and highly recommend it to you if it feels right for your hands.

#24 ·
MY SR9c has just under 1000 rounds through it with three failures, all three were bad ammo (cheap tula crap 9mm that failed to fire in at least two other known perfect guns). I was EDCing a P239. I picked up the SR9c and it was off to the races. The ergonomics are really excellent, it is accurate, and it is easy to shoot with the 10 round or 17 round magazines. I really like it. In fact, I'm considering a full size SR9 to compliment it. :D

#26 ·
I carry an SR9c every day. I've got close to 1400 rounds through it with one FTE in the first 300 rounds. I liked shooting the G19, but hated the way the G26 grip felt (the hump is in the wrong place, or something), and never felt comfortable shooting it. The grip on the SR9c is just long enough that I can get my pinky on without the extension. It shoots well and conceals well.

#27 ·
Been looking for a gun for the wife. Anyone have a lady friend who's a fan of the SR9c? It's one of my big considerations for her, among others. Naturally I intend to try to get her on the range with it before a purchase.

#28 ·
I'm busy deciding which high-cap 9mm will be my next pistol and it has come down to the SR9c, Glock 19 Gen4, and the M&P9c. I'm liking the price point of the SR9c as well as the ergonomics; however I want a Glock to round out the "everyman's collection" of a 1911, a Glock, and a revolver (my SP101), but I'm deadly accurate in rapid fire with my dad's M&P9 full size. Decisions, decisions...

#29 ·
The ruger is a fine gun, the glock looks like a brick..Shooting both guns, I like the ruger. The glock has its place. If you really want something buy a 1911, and the fan boys will come out of the woodwork.

#30 ·
Update:

I'm now at ~1400 rounds through my SR9c, and I picked up my SR9 yesterday. My friend and often times range buddy EDCs a G17, and has been considering getting a G19, but is now leaning toward an SR9c after shooting mine a bunch. The SR series are just really excellent firearms.

#31 ·
If you lived closer I'd let you shoot my SR40. I've only had 2 FTEs but this is after having one of my reloads explode in it and as a result having to change out the extractor. Haven't shot enough rounds through it yet to come to a decision but if it performs like all the other Rugers I own I doubt I'll be disappointed. Now if only people would get the magazines in stock so I can do a couple matches with it I'd be happy, that and when the SR45 comes out which will take the place of my p345 as my EDC.

#33 ·
like someone mentioned, going from MP to glock, i was a big fan of the glock for a long time, til i found out my finger reach is kinda short for a glock, found the XD which was perfect, then i show both, and i did better with the glock...sooo i got a glock.

#35 ·
The SR9 is a great gun. I've had mine for almost a year now without a single problem. Don't let the Glockophiles scare you off! But as everyone else has said, shoot it first and see if it is all you have made it out to be. If the gun fits and shoots better for you, why not switch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.