Considering a transition to the Ruger SR40 and SR9c from my Glock 23

This is a discussion on Considering a transition to the Ruger SR40 and SR9c from my Glock 23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have recently had the chance to handle the Ruger SR9/40 full sized and the Ruger SR9c and I have to say, i really like ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Considering a transition to the Ruger SR40 and SR9c from my Glock 23

Considering a transition to the Ruger SR40 and SR9c from my Glock 23

I have recently had the chance to handle the Ruger SR9/40 full sized and the Ruger SR9c and I have to say, i really like the way they feel in my hand. So much so, that I am seriously considering transitioning my carry piece to them from my long carried G23. The main factor is that the grip fits my hand so much better on the Ruger as opposed to the Glock.

I need to actually do some shooting with the Ruger but as it stands right now, after holding the Ruger, I can't get it out of my head.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    HERESY!! What kind of self respecting Glockophile would even think of switching!!! J/K

Not being a Glock person myself, I just know that when I have handled them, the fit in my hand was not what I wwas looking for. If the Ruger fits you better, and you shoot it the same or better than the Glock, then go for it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I'd go for it, I'm in the process of getting rid of one of my semi-autos and getting a SP101 because it fits me better and I would be able to depend on it more. If you like it, go for it. I personally think the SR9's are ugly, but they sure do feel pretty in my hand too
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I'd go for it, I'm in the process of getting rid of one of my semi-autos and getting a SP101 because it fits me better and I would be able to depend on it more. If you like it, go for it. I personally think the SR9's are ugly, but they sure do feel pretty in my hand too
    Ugly? I think they are a lot better looking than a Glock. I love my Glock but it sure wouldn't win any beauty contest.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Stop worrying about how the grip feels and worry about how you shoot. I recently had to switch from M&Ps to glock due to departmental policy, and was initially dismayed at how poorly the glock grip fit my hand when compared to the M&P.

Then I went and shot them, noticed no difference in the results, and stopped whining.

Switching from one of the most proven pistol platforms on earth with one of the most extensive selections of sights, holsters, aftermarket parts, and greatest availability of factory spare parts and mags to an unproven newly minted gun that's already appearing to be an also ran sounds like an extremely poor decision. It appears even worse when you haven't even shot the Ruger.
    Pepsi likes this.

Well following your posts...you have made this "mistake" before and went back to the G23. Get the Ruger if you want it, but the Glock is a better choice IMO. I am slightly biased as I carry the g23 and love it but, I know you have switched and came back too.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The SR 9/40 series seem to be good guns. They do feel better in the hand than any of the Glocks in my opinion. They do shoot good, both the standard and the compact version. They are much slimer and definately look better than a Glock.

I say go for it, nothing wrong with stepping away from the Glock side.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Well following your posts...you have made this "mistake" before and went back to the G23. Get the Ruger if you want it, but the Glock is a better choice IMO. I am slightly biased as I carry the g23 and love it but, I know you have switched and came back too.
    True. But the reason I went back to the Glock from my XD 40 is that the XD is bulkier and hald less ammo. The Ruger does not have this problem.

And I would not call the SR9/40 an "also ran". I'm not sure where you are reading this kind of report Texag, but I have seen very, very little in the way of negative reports on the SR series.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Mike...Indiana, snow and ice has got to you...snap out of it, buddy!!!

Come back to Tennessee and keep the Glock!
    Proud NRA member

Administrator
    I knew a guy who made a big decision before and regretted it. Indiana is Ruger like Tennesse is to Glock.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The SR series Rugers are great weapons. I personally like the SR40 full size over the compacts. The SR9c shoots very well too. Find a range that you can shoot both the 9 and 40 in full size and compact to see what you prefer. If you can swing it, get the Ruger and keep you g23 until you are sure the platform suits you well. I have a very hard time ever selling a handgun...I just keep adding. I never have seller's remorse that way.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I knew a guy who made a big decision before and regretted it. Indiana is Ruger like Tennesse is to Glock.
    My point made much more concisely...LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I own and carry a SR9c. You will enjoy it. I had a few minor issues with the gun, but sent it back to Ruger on there expense. It shoots great now.
    Ruger SR9c

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Just my opinion but I buy what FITS me ~ Whether it be a Glock, Ruger or S&W. I have a SR40 and it fits my had handling peculiarities better than the Glock.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Just my opinion but I buy what FITS me ~ Whether it be a Glock, Ruger or S&W. I have a SR40 and it fits my had handling peculiarities better than the Glock.
    I have been watching the SR series progress. Is it true what they say about the SR40 being a "soft" shooting 40?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links