S&W 686 V. Colt Python .357 - Page 2

S&W 686 V. Colt Python .357

This is a discussion on S&W 686 V. Colt Python .357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Python is the "57" Chevy of revolvers. It's a classic....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W 686 V. Colt Python .357

VIP Member
    The Python is the "57" Chevy of revolvers. It's a classic.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    That is not at all true or accurate. The action on the Python is not inherently superior to that on the 586 or 686.

Workmanship and finishing on the Python was indeed far superior. All of those master gunsmiths that worked at Colt assembling the Python are long faded into history now, however. a lot of handfitting and other skilled labor went into making the Python. Colt is now only a shadow of the handgun maker that it once was.

A good gunsmith can indeed get a Smith's action to an equivalent level. Even Smith and Wesson's own Performance Center can do wonders for a Smith's action if you ship it back to the factory and buy their $155 Master Revolver Action Package and have it done to your S&W.

And there is a whole slew of talented, top notch gunsmiths that will do a fantastic trigger job on Smiths.

I had a S&W 65 that I had the S&W Master Revolver Action Package done to, and they gave its trigger a buttery smooth, very clean DA pull. Far, far superior than the DA pull that my Python ever had. While my Python had a fine SA trigger pull, its DA pull was very ordinary and plain in quality.

I don't have either of these guns anymore, however. Sadly, I sold my Python long ago during my divorce, when I was really hurting for money. Probably the most foolish mistake that I have ever made. Certainly the worst mistake I have ever made buying or selling guns.

And I gave my S&W 65 to my son just a few years ago, for his 21st Birthday. He liked shooting the gun so much, that I figured it would make a great present, which it did.

I was going to say that many of these posts are just not spot on with regards to why the Python costs more until I saw the post above. I totally agree that It's the workmanship and finnish that sets them above other revolvers. Having shot them quite a bit I honestly like the trigger from the 686 out of the box compared to the Python. My uncle who swears by Pythons always accuses me of having trigger jobs on my smiths because the triggers are better.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    wow, I've got to say that my Python had a fantastically smooth trigger. I traded it in on a Browning High Wall so I could shoot B P matches. It was when Quigley first came out and I wanted a smoke blaster.

First off, I've never fired a Python. But I do have a 686+ bought NIB pre-ILS. It's the finest handgun I own. The trigger is silky smooth in DA and SA. It's well-balanced, ultra accurate.

And, over the years I've seen that there's a lot of Internet lore about weapons such that people who don't own a particular model will parrot and reiterate what they've read because they know that when they do, they'll get a cookie.

So. Glocks are the bestest gunses ever and you only buy a Glock. Spydercos are the bestest kniveses ever and you only buy Spydercos. And Pythons are the bestest revolvers and all other revolvers are teh suck.

And as long as you are faithful to that line, nobody will argue with you, and many will high-five you and vigorously assert your acumen. As a result, I've learned to ignore such statements entirely and rely solely upon my own direct experience.

Oh, no question, a Python is undoubtedly a fine revolver. But is a 686 a piece of garbage in comparison? Unlikely. Differences are probably a matter of fine degree.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Shockwave you gotta handle and feel the action of a Python to really appreciate it. I shot my first one and then bought one when an FHP trooper back in 1973 let me shoot his Python which was his duty weapon and carried crossdraw at the time ( they transported prisoners in the front seat and felt this was the safest way to carry their sidearms). I just sold my 686 a few months ago and it had the best trigger of any revolver I ever owned....... except for my Python.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have both, the 686 is more durable but nothing compares to the action of a Python.

Here's a picture of my Python and Diamondback.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have a 4" 686, 4" Python, and 6" Python. I have carried the 6" Python and 4" 686 on duty as an armed security officer. I have had my 4" Python only for 4 years and it is the gun I carry most off duty now (current Dept. of the Army Civilian Police Officer). My Pythons have a much better trigger than my 686. Don't get me wrong the 686 has a very good trigger but my Pythons are quite a bit better. The 4" Python feels right at home in my hand, even with the wooden Colt target stocks. The Python is a gun you either love or you hate. I have yet to run across someone who is middle of the road with them. However, I have run across one or two who hated them.

I've owned 3 pythons in my life,Even tho they were good guns there is no way I would pay the price to own one today,my last was a SS 6" 1984 I bought NIB for $681.00.Walmart used to carry them and remember a 4" Nickel for $450.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Dukal's comment brings us back more to the spirit of my intention for this thread. Are the Colt Pythons that are going for $1500-$2500 on Gunbroker worth it to you? Collectability aside, which I understand, but based strictly on the mechanical merits, are they really worth spending that much money to you?
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    Dukal's comment brings us back more to the spirit of my intention for this thread. Are the Colt Pythons that are going for $1500-$2500 on Gunbroker worth it to you? Collectability aside, which I understand, but based strictly on the mechanical merits, are they really worth spending that much money to you?
    For me, no. However, I can appreciate how others may feel that they are. I never shot a Python that I didn't lust over afterwards. The practical side in me would never let me buy one, even when the prices were much lower. There have been a few deals that came my way over the years that I passed on because of other irons in the fire. Kinda regret not jumping on them and openly envy you guys that have them.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

From a value standpoint, I'd pick the 686

I own two 686s and one Python, and after years of shooting them I find that my targets look much the same between the 6 inch Python and the 6 inch 686. So from a results standpoint I can't differentiate between them. The Python does have a great trigger feel, but so does the 686. The biggest difference is price or value, with the Python worth about twice as much as the 686.

If you were motivated by getting the most gun per dollar, the 686 would clearly win.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

My Python is super smooth, like polished glass. No doubt a great gunsmith can slick and fine tune a quality revolver. But the Python is just great out of the box. My dad shot many matches with it, which helped " wear it in ". I truly love it. I have nice Coltt & S&W revolvers, but none come close to way that Python feels.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Thanks Duk and Bio for getting us back on track. Even though I love my Pythons and carry my 4" Python off duty on an almost daily basis, if I were required to carry a revolver on duty I would choose my 686. In all practicality it is as good as my Pythons as well as cheaper and easier to fix if there is a problem. On duty as an armed security officer I carried my 6" Python for about 3 1/2 years and my 4" 686 for about 5 years. Neither one gave me a moment's concern. Is the Python worth the price? That is up to you.

If Colt started making Pythons again in the 6-700.00 range I would jump on one.I won't bid on gunbroker because I hate to lose and could end up paying way more than I really wanted
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    "Based strictly on the mechanical merits", NO handgun is worth $1500+, as long as there are Rugers, S&W's, and a host of other really fine guns out there for 1/3 (or 1/4 or 1/5) the price. The value of those Pythons is their collectibility, and a lot of intangible qualities. I've had a 6" Python for over 30 years, and it is the finest revolver I've ever held, bar none. Would I pay $1500 to replace it? Probably not (unless I won the lottery), and certainly not on the basis of "mechanical merits". I paid $357 for it brand new - wish I'd bought a crate of 'em!

I would never trash a 686, but believe me, it's no Python!

Regards,
    Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links