S&W 686 V. Colt Python .357

This is a discussion on S&W 686 V. Colt Python .357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that I've spent some time with my new 686-4, I am wondering if there are any aspects of the Colt Python that warrant the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 686 V. Colt Python .357

S&W 686 V. Colt Python .357

Now that I've spent some time with my new 686-4, I am wondering if there are any aspects of the Colt Python that warrant the high prices I see on them. I haven't had the chance to fire a Python so I don't have any first hand experience with one. Is it just because Colt no longer makes them?
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    If you handled a python you would understand. the action is the most amazing feeling thing ever! it isn't just the name
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    If you handled a python you would understand. the action is the most amazing feeling thing ever! it isn't just the name
    I'll second that! I own a 586 (blued version of 686) and the action can't compare with the Python, even with some time at the gunsmith.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I had a Python back in the 70's and the action was fantastic. I had a 686 until a couple of months ago and it was a very good weapon but it was no Python.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Plus they don't make them anymore. Why? I don't know. Colt just gave up in the revolver market.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Plus they don't make them anymore. Why? I don't know. Colt just gave up in the revolver market.
    They still make single actions just no doubles.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

It was once said " There are not enough oooooooo's in smooth tho describe the action of a Colt Python".
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

All this python talk makes me wanna dig one of mine out! Anyone wanna buy one????

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    All this python talk makes me wanna dig one of mine out! Anyone wanna buy one????
    Maybe. PM descrption and price.

Thanks.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Cost of production was just too high. The 1911 autos were treated to new tooling in the early 90s which greatly reduced the need for lots of hand fitting, but the market for wheelguns was in steep decline by then and it wasn't worth a similarly large investment.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I'll second that! I own a 586 (blued version of 686) and the action can't compare with the Python, even with some time at the gunsmith.
    That is not at all true or accurate. The action on the Python is not inherently superior to that on the 586 or 686.

Workmanship and finishing on the Python was indeed far superior. All of those master gunsmiths that worked at Colt assembling the Python are long faded into history now, however. a lot of handfitting and other skilled labor went into making the Python. Colt is now only a shadow of the handgun maker that it once was.

A good gunsmith can indeed get a Smith's action to an equivalent level. Even Smith and Wesson's own Performance Center can do wonders for a Smith's action if you ship it back to the factory and buy their $155 Master Revolver Action Package and have it done to your S&W.

And there is a whole slew of talented, top notch gunsmiths that will do a fantastic trigger job on Smiths.

I had a S&W 65 that I had the S&W Master Revolver Action Package done to, and they gave its trigger a buttery smooth, very clean DA pull. Far, far superior than the DA pull that my Python ever had. While my Python had a fine SA trigger pull, its DA pull was very ordinary and plain in quality.

I don't have either of these guns anymore, however. Sadly, I sold my Python long ago during my divorce, when I was really hurting for money. Probably the most foolish mistake that I have ever made. Certainly the worst mistake I have ever made buying or selling guns.

And I gave my S&W 65 to my son just a few years ago, for his 21st Birthday. He liked shooting the gun so much, that I figured it would make a great present, which it did.

I have had both, and the early guns are very nice, no doubt. But I do not see enough ooooooo or ahhhhhs to justify the price. If you want an investment piece and collect, you cannot go wrong, other than that, I'll take the Smith. I also did not really care for the cylinder latch, it has to be pulled back to release the cylinder instead of forward.

Quote Originally Posted by vietnamvet66 View Post
    It was once said " There are not enough oooooooo's in smooth tho describe the action of a Colt Python".
    Very true.

The Python is the Holy Grail of revolvers, IMO.

I love S&W products and own a few but even with "action packages" or other mods. they just can't hold a candle to the Python.

It's a real shame the "Old School" gunsmiths are gone.

Here's a picture of my Python for your enjoyment:

I take it out of the safe and to the range about twice a year. It is a superb revolver.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I have a Python, a Bill Davis competition model 19 S&W, a 586 and two 686's. The Python is by far the smoothest action of the lot, and Davis's work is superb, but the Python rules!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

My 686 must have had a trigger job then. At no point does it catch/snag/drag in double action, just silky smooth butter all the way with very little force required to do so. In single action, its not so much a pull as a "think about squeezing the trigger" and its enough to fire. I do understand the concept of high quality hand crafting though so that makes sense to me in the price difference.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links