The Ruger LCR .357 and recoil with .357 magnum loads - Page 2

The Ruger LCR .357 and recoil with .357 magnum loads

This is a discussion on The Ruger LCR .357 and recoil with .357 magnum loads within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You have one of the best practice routines I've ever seen. Doesn't much matter what gun you have if you can move and hit like ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Ruger LCR .357 and recoil with .357 magnum loads

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    You have one of the best practice routines I've ever seen. Doesn't much matter what gun you have if you can move and hit like that. Well done.

It's really difficult to find a place that will allow practice like that. I have one range I can go to that allows drawing, moving, and firing, but they are few and far between.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    The Golden Saber is a light-mid power 357 load. That's why it's comparable to the 9mm +P...
    I agree. I have shot the .357 125g Golden Saber rounds (they are my DC round) and the .357 158g Remington hunting load. There is a world of difference between the two. The GS is relatively comfortable in my 640, the hunting load is not at all pleasant. I have a friend that shoots a .500 S&W and he compares the 640 with the 158g hunting load to be very similar in feel to the .500 S&W in a 4" barrel.

The load matters a lot in how a .357 feels.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    The Golden Saber is a light-mid power 357 load. That's why it's comparable to the 9mm +P...
    If you look at the other two videos you will see the recoil on the 158gr 357 loads is pretty much the same. Tame. Recoil is nothing like the scandium lightweights. Not even a comparison and it handles better than a 25oz steel j frame. Just my humble opinion from experience not statistics.

What ammo are you shooting in the vid?

Mike
    SA LW Champion Operator x 2!
    DPMS AR-15

Saving up the funds for this little guy, can't wait. I have read numerous articles and watched numerous videos on this revolver. A Ruger rep said that they put over 10,000 357 rounds through a test gun with no issues. Thanks AZCHEVY for the cool videos.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

TOF
    FWIW: I chronoed Winchester 125 Grain SJHP .38Spl +P's at 870 FPS from my LCR .357. They felt quite comfortable and my wife likes them. I also tried a home brew load I have been known to carry in my GP100. 158 Grain Zero Brand SJSP, 8 Grains Vihtavuori N350 in magnum cases. These yielded 982 FPS and had a slight sting but were not uncomfortable.

I haven't tried any Factory magnum loads yet as it is for the wife and 38 +P suits her just fine.

The extra 4 ounces makes a big difference. My friend has the 38 SPL. versinon and 38 +P's sting in it.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Wow AZChevy! Sweet video!

My wife wants a Ruger LCR in .357 and we have been discussing the recoil issue and I just about convinced her of the .38spl caliber.

After seeing your video, not only do I want her to have the .357 LCR, I even want one myself! That thing rocks!!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    What ammo are you shooting in the vid?

Mike

Each vid states the ammo I used, kind of, sometimes I shoot 200 rounds in a session of different ammo and lose track... in the one posted it would be 125gr winchester .357 JHP. In the others, a mixture of: winchester .357 125gr JSP .357 125gr jhp remington golden sabre, .357 buffalo bore 125gr short barrel , buffalo bore 1258 gr heavy JHC, .357 umc 125gr jsp, remington LDWC, UMJ 38 special FMJ, winchester 130gr 38 FMJ, handload 125gr 38+p jsp with homeswaged bullets

I try to train with .357 125gr JHP ammo as that is what I carry, the training ammo is a little snappier than the carry ammo as well. I have used a majority of .357 winchester X3576P for training as it is available at wally world.

Yeah, I saw the bullet, but not a brand. I was just curious. I'll have to try the Winchester. The Remington 125gr are pretty snappy for training.

Mike
    SA LW Champion Operator x 2!
    DPMS AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by Alarm Guy View Post
    Do you carry it iwb? Have you pocker carried it? I was also wondering about the slim boot cut grips that are available?

Great post!!!!!!!! Very helpful!!
    I just found a bantam boot grip for a good price. As soon as I get it I will give it a work out with the magnum rounds and report back.

azchevy- Okay, I shot my new LCR 357 yesterday @ SGC. Am I ever thankful for your ongoing updates. I LOVE IT!!! I tried some different loads and found that Federal 130 gr Personal Defense Low Recoil shot the middle out of the target at 21 ft. I mean RIGHT AT point of aim. Maybe not the most powerful 357 out there but with accuracy like that it will be my carry round. Also I just had to order a Mr Softy. Last, but not least, it is at the smith having an XS standard dot installed.

Thanks for the vids man

Cool vids man.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    azchevy- Great report on the LCR. You've also helped kill some of the myths of the severity of .357 recoil. While it can be a little snappy, it's really not as bad as people think...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Great Video and Thanks for Sharing. I had my Ruger LCR 38sp+P for over a year, Now I'm thinking of getting a LCR in 357mag.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links