The Ruger LCR .357 and recoil with .357 magnum loads - Page 3

The Ruger LCR .357 and recoil with .357 magnum loads

This is a discussion on The Ruger LCR .357 and recoil with .357 magnum loads within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got mine Friday. Only have about 20 rounds through it of various .38 special and .357. I will say that some of the .357's ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Ruger LCR .357 and recoil with .357 magnum loads

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Just got mine Friday. Only have about 20 rounds through it of various .38 special and .357. I will say that some of the .357's rounds will sting. Love the gun so far. Looking to put a Bantam/Boot grip and XS sight on it. Using a Remora #4 that covers the trigger, but not the complete trigger guard. The next size up completely covered the trigger guard, but it was much bigger so I got the smaller size. It also will fit into the Remora I use for my Glock 27 and Walther PPS.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

azchevy, thanks for the great report. I love my LCR .357 and was particularly pleased to see you dispel the recoil myth. This little gun is now my EDC, both pocket and IWB. With 1 speedloader I feel adequately armed in all circumstances. Super job. Keep the reports coming.
    Rick

Gun owners' prayer:
    "Dear Lord; if I die please don't let my wife sell my gun collection...........for what I told her it was worth"

i did some training last night on multiple targets at night with low light except for my truck lights which I pointed perpendicularly to the target area so some bleed light was in the general area ( I am in the light less desert so it was PITCH BLACK) and the moon. I was trying to do my best to simulate parking lot, street light bleed like would be in a suburban area as best I can.) it was also about a 75% full moon with light clouds so I had moonlight, but the desert is a DARK DARK place. I did very well with the point shooting, almost as well as I did during the day. I was even able to make some aimed shots using the top of the weapon as a guide, which further re-enforces my stance that night sights are useless items for self defense but do have their place for a proactive type of shooting like a swat unit that has planned to go in and is actively engaging targets using surprise and shock( I dont use sights at all anymore) when it comes to self defense. the only issues I found where footwork, very hard to use your peripheral to see where you are running while gunning ( rocks, bushes, hills etc). I also want to spray paint the targets black and use realistic human color targets because the white did stand out much and made it a little easier to see and it is obvious that most BG dont go around wearing bright white clothing at night. Sorry video came out dark and unable to view. I would need a better more pro video recorder than my tiny little canon camera to get night video.

I used three different types of .357 ammo ( 125g golden sabers, 158Gr buffalo bore heavy, and 125 grain buffalo bore low recoil) and I found that while there was a flash, it was probably worse being on the receiving end as at no time did I get temporarily blinded or lose track of the targets even though there was some good flashes. I wonder how that would work in a small dark room..... need to find a way to test that too.

The boot grip should be here this week so I will be able to report on that soon as well.

I'd have to agree with your assessment, as always. Sadly mine hasn't seen much loving as yours has yet. Probably only have about 300 rounds through mine. If GS's came in 158 grain I'd go back to them in a heartbeat but sadly they don't. Even with good powered mag loads the LCR handles just fine. My reloads are coming out of the tube velocities in the 1050 range and I can't remember offhand what the Hornady carry loads I have do out of the LCR but they are about the same velocity. Gun handles well and I've yet to regret buying it, nor do I think I will.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I have heard and read all over the internet about how a 17 oz weapon is too hard to handle with .357 rounds. How it hurts or the recoil is too much for followup shots. I am here to tell you that unless you have serious arthritis, or some health issues or are already sensitive to recoil due to small frame or lack of arm\wrist strength you will have zero issue with this design. It is easy to control, quick on follow up shots, accurate and a joy to shoot during my range sessions. I am performing a long term test of mine, and recently picked up a new one for carry as I push this one to the limit with magnum rounds to see how far I can go before frame stretch out of spec or failure. So far at 1200 rounds it passed MPI and frame tolerances.

My first impressions: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...d.php?t=114690

My review: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...d.php?t=117948

I have over 600 magnum rounds through it now. Bottom line is this revolver rocks, best DAO revolver trigger known to man without hundreds of dollars of gunsmith work; recoil is dampened by the grip design; and pure shoot ability for a deep cover weapon. I will never go back to s&w again. it has even taken up more carry time than my highly touted G29SF

"best trigger known to man".. man you got me thinking i should try one... bunker

Awesome video thanks for the review I'm interested in one of these for sure. Impressed with your ability to not shoot your camera too!

OK, I put the boot grip on yesterday and fired it. Shot it with full house 158gr BB J.H.C. and my 125 gr golden saber .357. Works great. No issues. A little snappier because it is a smaller harder grip but not by much. Safariland speedloader still will NOT work with it but the HKS works a little better and doesnt get caught up so I can say it is reliable with this grip. The smaller grip conceals much better to the point of disappearing AIWB. I will try to get some video up this weekend of me shooting the .357 with the boot grip. I did a lot of move and draw practice and had no issue getting it out and on target immediately. I like it. Neither grip is pretty but it is effective and that is what matters to me.
    Attached Images

Good video, good technique. I think I will have to pull the trigger on the LCR357

If I could make one suggestion on your training, you might want to add a reload practice after firing five shots.

AZC,
    I'm curious about your reloader problem. Is the SL loader rubbing on the grip, trying to reload and the HKS is not?
    The reason I ask is that I have found generally that while the HKS loaders are slightly larger in diameter than the same SL loader, the SL's are slightly thicker and require the face of the loader to come closer to the cylinder to release the cartridges.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    AZC,
    I'm curious about your reloader problem. Is the SL loader rubbing on the grip, trying to reload and the HKS is not?
    The reason I ask is that I have found generally that while the HKS loaders are slightly larger in diameter than the same SL loader, the SL's are slightly thicker and require the face of the loader to come closer to the cylinder to release the cartridges.
    The safariland loader will NOT fully seat due to the grip slightly hitting it at an angle and the bullets sit more firmer in the SL than the HKS which rattle and have more play so there is little play and you cannot fully seat the loader meaning you cannot depress the center and drop the bullets in. The HKS seats far enough to reliably drop the bullets in.

5 star firearms claimed they have one that works with the LCR but I just went to their site and now they have a disclaimer on them....

http://www.5starfirearms.com/357_j_2.html

All Accessories Fit Models Listed Below:

Ruger LCR * Works with Laser Grips *
    * Will NOT Work With Hogue Tamer Grips *
    just as I suspected. The larger tamer grips just arent reliable enough to speedload and even the HKS can get jammed sideways causing a failure to release and or problems under pressure. They work great when you take your time and do it with no pressure, nobody after you, and no adrenaline. But they fit well enough with the boot grip to make me feel more comfortable with them, but I have yet to do run and gun reloads with it to see if under pressure and with my heart pumping, I have the issues I had with the tamer grips.

Have you considered modifying the grips? While less desirable asthetically, it might be a plus operationally, especially considering the importance of of reloading for low capacity revolvers.

I am pretty confident with the speedstrips. I carry my AK everywhere in truck/atv with one in chamber and 30rd mags out here and when I am going anywhere but putting around my low crime, one horse town, I pimp the g29 with 15 round backups and stick the LCR strong side hip backup. I also dont plan on ramming my car into escaping armed jewelry thieves and having a shootout with them either so I feel comfortable with what I have. I carry to my situation.

Well said.

OK azchevy...could you please add your phone number so i can give it to my spouse when she ask why I have to have another weapon?...LOL. I will be placing the blame squarely on your shoulders. Seriously, I have been going back and forth between this and a SP101 and I think you have just made up my mind for me. great review!!
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

The sp101 is a fine fine revolver, I just think ruger hit a home run with this one, ( the 357 model) I have no experience with the lighter aluminum frame .38 model, just the stainless steel framed .357 and I dont want people to get confused because they are two different models with two different metal compositions on the frames.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links