.45 GAP recall for Florida Highway Patrol sidearms

This is a discussion on .45 GAP recall for Florida Highway Patrol sidearms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had lunch with a friend who is a Trooper and he was telling me that Glock recalled all the slides and recoil assemblies of the ...

Thread: .45 GAP recall for Florida Highway Patrol sidearms

Had lunch with a friend who is a Trooper and he was telling me that Glock recalled all the slides and recoil assemblies of the new .45 GAP sidearms, around 3000 guns. He had to take in his gun, have the slide exchanged, and fire 10 rounds of "function testing". Each of the Glock 37s they issue is engraved with the FHP logo and each Trooper's badge number. I imagine that cost Glock a bit of money, although it seems it only cost the FL taxpayers a little bit of ammo and overtime.

Any other GAP shooters or anyone issued a GAP by an agency heard about this?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Recalls aren't cheap for any product, but at least Glock backed its product.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Recalls aren't cheap for any product, but at least Glock backed its product.
    Well, it's not like they had an option because the media would've slaughtered Glock for selling 3,000 faulty pistols to FHP and the firearms industry would take notice that something very wrong is going on with Glock's quality control. The FHP did a very good program to select their new issued firearm and at the end they chose the Glock 37 in .45 GAP (read it in Guns & Ammo). Therefore, if after a thorough research and testing program by the FHP the pistols don't even work, that would've been a major hit to Glock's "uber reliable" recognition. I think indeed that there is something going on with Glock's quality control because there are problems with the Gen 4 Glock 26, there have been more incidents with the Glock models 23 and 27 in .40 S&W (guns exploding) and now this MAJOR issue with 3,000 pistols in .45 GAP for the FHP.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Talked to two troopers last week and yes this is factual. They also said that training ammo was difficult to obtain in quantity. Georgia State Patrol also now has Glock .45 GAPS so they may be next. Both troopers liked the Gen 4 Glocks with the three sizes of backstraps. The troopers said that they heard Glock traded the agency even up for their old firearms to get a large agency to carry the 45 GAP.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Had lunch with a friend who is a Trooper and he was telling me that Glock recalled all the slides and recoil assemblies of the new .45 GAP sidearms, around 3000 guns. He had to take in his gun, have the slide exchanged, and fire 10 rounds of "function testing". Each of the Glock 37s they issue is engraved with the FHP logo and each Trooper's badge number. I imagine that cost Glock a bit of money, although it seems it only cost the FL taxpayers a little bit of ammo and overtime.

Any other GAP shooters or anyone issued a GAP by an agency heard about this?
    A bad run of guns I guess. I had a full-size 37 GAP - had to trade to 45acp Glock because GAP ammo costs at that time were too much for me and I don't reload. Our troopers use them: NY.
    The 37 is GREAT gun, and the round GREAT. I loved it, little recoil, always, always a bang, deadly accurate - a female trooper here took out a BG with one shot center chest. Now I see GAP ammo is reasonable again. Boy, I wish I still had it - AND for full-size gun, quite easy to handle and also conceal. Our troopers love it.

Some FHP background on the original 45 GAP order.

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2010/01/...ighway-patrol/
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

They did get a 1 for 1 trade for their Beretta 96s, and the individual officers got to buy theirs for cheap.

My Trooper friend was involved in one of the shootings that prompted a search for a new gun, and it was not a Beretta failure, more a cheap ammunition failure I guess.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    The troopers said that they heard Glock traded the agency even up for their old firearms to get a large agency to carry the 45 GAP.
    You can bet the grocery money on that.

I was thinking more like the morgage money.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Well, it's not like they had an option because the media would've slaughtered Glock for selling 3,000 faulty pistols to FHP and the firearms industry would take notice that something very wrong is going on with Glock's quality control. The FHP did a very good program to select their new issued firearm and at the end they chose the Glock 37 in .45 GAP (read it in Guns & Ammo). Therefore, if after a thorough research and testing program by the FHP the pistols don't even work, that would've been a major hit to Glock's "uber reliable" recognition. I think indeed that there is something going on with Glock's quality control because there are problems with the Gen 4 Glock 26, there have been more incidents with the Glock models 23 and 27 in .40 S&W (guns exploding) and now this MAJOR issue with 3,000 pistols in .45 GAP for the FHP.
    I get the feeling you just don't like Glocks. I don't recall seeing in the op that the guns "don't even work." The vast majority of those who have Glocks (including me) seem to like them, but no one can please everybody.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sponsored Links