My First CCW

This is a discussion on My First CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thx for the quick replies all.....it's greatly appreciated. I went out to the range yesterday and shot several of the suggestions here (Glock 30, M&P ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My First CCW

Thx for the quick replies all.....it's greatly appreciated. I went out to the range yesterday and shot several of the suggestions here (Glock 30, M&P 45, XD, mine). Out of the 30, M&P, XD, all gave me problems in the grip. My pinky was either partially on or not at all. I had to do some severe cramping of fingers to get them to fit and when I fired, most of them had ghastly recoil (comparing it to mine). Out of that lot, I think if I'm to get one of those, the 30 is the way to go. It fits decently and I can use a 21 mag to extend the grip an inch or so.

Based on my experience @ the range (which I'll be going to today to try out the HK45c if they have it), I will most likely be saving up the pennies til I can move into the next price bracket. I tried a Sig P220 and simply love it. I believe it was the "carry" model....the shop referred to it as a medium. It's shorter in the slide but the grip is still amazing. Single stack 8+1. They have a used all-German one @ the shop for $700.

I'm just not 100% convinced at it being a better conceal than what we already have. Having a shorter slide/barrell will allow for less sticking out when holstered, but in the end, the spec match up is really similar. Essentially, the Sig is 1/2" shorter in the slide. I'm not experienced enough @ CCWs to know if the 1/2" changes the carry profile/clothes printing based on less "sticking out" of the holster. Gah...I hate bein a n00b.

21SF (http://www.glock.com/english/glock21_tech.htm)
    Length: 7.59"
    Height: 5.47"
    Width: 1.27"

P220 Carry (http://www.sigsauer.com/products/Sho...&productid=149)
    Length: 7.1"
    Height: 5.5"
    Width: 1.5"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Ghost: you're asking all the right questions, and going about your selection following good procedure. You wont be a noob for long! I have always found (been carrying for 5 years now) that what is most significant for a carry gun not to print is the grip shape and width, and the configuration of the portion of the gun that includes the rear sights. Large rear sights seem to show through a shirt, as does a long, thick grip. Weight is also a factor for me. 1/2 inch barrel length to me is insignificant. Of course, a good holster and belt make a great contribution as well.

Guns I find most comfortable and easy to carry is Glock 36 and 26; S&W snubby Airweight for pocket carry.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

VIP Member
    I would go for a G30.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    What are you using to holster your weapon? The reason I ask is that a well made holster can really hold the gun tight against the body. While a well made holster is not cheap, it does perform its function and greatly aids in concealment. This is, of course, in conjunction with a purpose made gun belt.

Once you have a gun belt and well made holster you will go - "Oh, that is how close a gun should be to my body. Wow, that is easy to conceal." I suspect if you got a gun belt and a well made IWB holster for your G21, you could make it disappear. I like my Kholsters (and have more of them because they are less expensive), but my Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro is the go to for those times I need the gun really close to my body. Coupled with my A&G belt, the gun really does hold close and disappears under a thin cover garment.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I appreciate the feedback so far greatly!!

For the G30, I'd have to use a 21 mag with the "grip" addition (or just the Pearce grip extension that replaces the mag floor plate) for my hand to be comfortable (read: reliable) on it (won't sacrifice comfort, aka confidence/reliability, should a situation arise). It **MAY** be a mental block on my part, aka my mind telling me it's too small when it's not. I'm probably going to go today and re-visit the G30, even though I missed out on a used one w/ extension @ $495.

@Freedom...thx for the encouragement!!

A agree with the opinion that maybe you need to look into a better holster.
    I know what you mean about having to tighten down the belt. I'm 4 inches shorter than you and the same weight so I need to keep my belt tight too. The extra belly roll makes it a little harder to conceal a gun.
    I do manage to conceal a Glock 27 in an IWB holster. Having a good belt, and tightening it, plus playing around with the carry position helps. I find that while at 3-3:30 the pants stay up better, if I move the gun to 4-4:30 the grip doesn't stick straight out toward the rear, and the rear sight doesnt point out from under my arm.
    Please let us know what type holster and belt you are currently using.
    Another thing to remember is that just because YOU can see a bulge under your shirt when you look for it, no one else is going to be looking and if your in a state that doesn't care if you print a little it might not be a big deal. Granted we all want to be concealed, but people just are not going to notice. Nowadays everyone has a cell phone bulge on their waist anyways.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You already know the G21 and, apparently like it except for the CC aspect, so the G30 or G36 may be a natural choice. If you have no concerns with the double-stacked grip of the 21, then I'd go for the G30, which can use the G21 mags in a pinch. 10 rds are almost as good as 13.

While the G36 is only slightly thinner, it's a good option if you don't mind giving up four rounds.

I can relate to your size, can carry my G30 IWB in shorts and T, and I don't think the thinner G36 will make much of a difference.
    This is the answer. Go with the 30.

I'm a chunky dude and I have no problem concealing a 27 OWB with an untucked button down short sleeve shirt and some cargo shorts in the summer time.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    What are you using to holster your weapon? The reason I ask is that a well made holster can really hold the gun tight against the body. While a well made holster is not cheap, it does perform its function and greatly aids in concealment. This is, of course, in conjunction with a purpose made gun belt.

Once you have a gun belt and well made holster you will go - "Oh, that is how close a gun should be to my body. Wow, that is easy to conceal." I suspect if you got a gun belt and a well made IWB holster for your G21, you could make it disappear. I like my Kholsters (and have more of them because they are less expensive), but my Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro is the go to for those times I need the gun really close to my body. Coupled with my A&G belt, the gun really does hold close and disappears under a thin cover garment.
    AND....

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    **snip**

Please let us know what type holster and belt you are currently using.
    Another thing to remember is that just because YOU can see a bulge under your shirt when you look for it, no one else is going to be looking and if your in a state that doesn't care if you print a little it might not be a big deal. Granted we all want to be concealed, but people just are not going to notice. Nowadays everyone has a cell phone bulge on their waist anyways.
    Thx for the info and I know you're right...it's just that being new to CCWs, the "paranoia" of people noticing is still there. I understand that people aren't going to see (most likely) something they're not looking for...especially given with the aforementioned cell phone printing/bulges.

The holster I have right now isn't meant (as far as I know) for concealing....basic Fobus paddle. Belt isn't anything special either (I need a new one regardless).

I've got small hands so I recently went from the Glock30 to the M&P45c because of the thinner grip. So far I'm happy, but both are easy to conceal. I also like the 1911 style safety on the M&P.

I'd love to try the HK45c one day though.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRed7 View Post
    Thx for the quick replies all.....it's greatly appreciated. I went out to the range yesterday and shot several of the suggestions here (Glock 30, M&P 45, XD, mine). Out of the 30, M&P, XD, all gave me problems in the grip...

Based on my experience @ the range (which I'll be going to today to try out the HK45c if they have it), I will most likely be saving up the pennies til I can move into the next price bracket...
    Before you rush out & buy something, get your hands on a Kahr CW45 and try it out. IMHO, it's hands-down the best .45 CCW out there for the price. I carry mine in a High Noon "Bare Essentials" IWB holster at 5:00.

Regards,
    Jim

Thx for all the sound advise all...I appreciate it. Gonna throw a new wrench into the works...

After going to the range again, I decided to give .40 S&W a whirl in a few models. I found that I'm able to hit center with decent grouping at 15yrds (fluke? LOL) with a Springfield XD Sub-Compact 3". It fired well and with the magazine extension that came with it, it felt great and natural to control. It comes with 9 round & 12 round (with grip extensions) magazines.

That being said, I think it may go the route of a smaller round than the .45 (XD 40 SC, G23, etc). Its either than or suck up the profile and just keep the G21SF.
    Last edited by GhostRed7; February 10th, 2011 at 08:27 AM.

Update (aka: another reason to adore my wife): i just got the "lecture" saying that "it's your gun, get what you feel is right....if you want it, get it...i want something, i get it...same goes for you". So...that being said, my budget just expanded (will self-cap, but dunno what yet...prolly $1000) so while I'm pretty much back at square one w/ decisions, I have more to decide between. So I may be looking into the Sig (P220 Carry i think it's called).

EDIT: Thanks to all the helpful insights about belts/holsters/etc as well as options listed, I've made my purchase. Mods - please lock (or whatever) this thread.
    Last edited by GhostRed7; February 11th, 2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Purchased!

The M&P 45c is easy to conceal. I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago, I highly recommend it!
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

While there's no crime in checking out a variety of carry pieces, you're going to have the same concealment/printing problem unless you get a good belt and holster carry rig.

You mentioned that your budget increased from $700 to $1K; if this is so, then keep your original budget and put the extra into a custom carry rig. If you'll do that, you can carry any piece and hide it.

You can get a CrossBreed holster and belt for under $200.

You could get a Beltman belt and a Pure Kustom holster for a bit more

It doesn't matter what pistol you have, it won't hide well without the right rig. If it doesn't ride/hide well, then you'll be leaving your $1K pistol at home at it won't do you any good, anyway.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I agree and am looking into that very thing now. In the meantime, i am using a don hume iwb holster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links