My First CCW

My First CCW

This is a discussion on My First CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We purchased our first handgun a few months back (Glock 21SF) and absolutely LOVE it. I say we because my wife loves it as much ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First CCW

My First CCW

We purchased our first handgun a few months back (Glock 21SF) and absolutely LOVE it. I say we because my wife loves it as much as I do and it has been deemed her carry weapon. We both get pretty good grouping on it, even with stock sights. Now with it being a double-stack .45 and a glock, as many others have said prior, it prints in clothing easily (with the holster I have...possible holster is contributing) to its bulk and therefore pretty much eliminates it as a CCW w/out having to use the jacket/trenchcoat (Atlanta + coat = not happening except in Jan-Feb).

I'd like to stay w/ a .45 because of price point. We're not going to be moving to reloading ANY time in the near future, if ever. So having ammo that we both use for range and defense is important.

That being said...I'd like if at all possible to be under $700.

Now the additional delimma or whatever you wanna call it is that I'm a chunky dude (6'1", 245). Not gunna lie...my gut ends up pushing my pants below my waste quite often, even when I crank my belt as tight as I can. This plus a loaded 21SF will result in my gun not being the only thing no longer concealed given the right circumstances.

As a member of a local gun club/range, I get unlimited rentals at no extra charge. I'd like to get some solid recommendations, grab a box of .45 ACP, and go through the rentals to see which fits my hand the best. I'm just simply not aware of the options w/in my price point.

Thanks in advance.

Oh boy do you have some good ones in your price point.

Glock 30 or the smaller 36
    M&P 45c
    Springfield XD 45 Compact
    Kahr CW45

Just to name a few really good ones.

Thx for the quick reply. I took this list down and about to head to the SSGC to see which I like.

VIP Member
    Might want to add some Perry suspenders. This will help a good bit at keeping the pants up. So will a gun belt.

Adding to the above - I really like the way my Taurus PT145 Mil Pro conceals. Some will flame me because it is a Taurus, but I have had no troubles from it. Overall size is about the same as a J frame only a bit thinner.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Don't rule out the 1911 pistols either. Springfield and others make models that fall in your price range.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Out of all the recommendations I say Glock 36. I am a revolver guy, but my next purchase is gonna be the G36.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You already know the G21 and, apparently like it except for the CC aspect, so the G30 or G36 may be a natural choice. If you have no concerns with the double-stacked grip of the 21, then I'd go for the G30, which can use the G21 mags in a pinch. 10 rds are almost as good as 13.

While the G36 is only slightly thinner, it's a good option if you don't mind giving up four rounds.

I can relate to your size, can carry my G30 IWB in shorts and T, and I don't think the thinner G36 will make much of a difference.

I have found that the M&P points more naturally than the Glocks, but seeing as I can tear up a paper plate at 15 yards, I'm in no hurry to change guns at this point. It may be worth trying both and seeing which shoots better.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Although a bit higher than your price point, I'd suggest you check out an HK USP .45C or HK 45C and see what you think.

They are extremely reliable, durable and very accurate.

Good luck with your search. Enjoy it!
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I think the Kahr is likely the thinnest on your list... aren't they right about an 1" thick? For me the thinner the gun the easier to carry. Check out a Kahr PM45 or P45 as well...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    In your price range, I think that the S&W M&P 45 compact is the best choice. It is really about the ideal size for a concealed carry 45, and is a striker trigger system gun, just like the Glock. You can even get it with an optional manual safety, if you would like to have one.

The only compact 45 that I think that anyone could argue is better would be the HK 45C compact. But I have never seen one of them sell for less than $850 at the very lowest. Usually they go for $900 or a bit more.

There is one dealer on gunbroker with a HK 45c available for only $849, though:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=215335898

Glock 30 all the way baby!!!! cant go wrong with it... i love mine.

I love my G30. I carry it concealed all day, come home and replace the mag with a G21 magazine (with a +1 round extender on it) and put my TRL-1 Streamlight on it, and it sleeps next to me.

Something in a used commander sized 1911, like a scandium frame SW1911. You already have a Glock....might as well branch out.

If Commander is too big, look for a used defender size 1911 like a Kimber UCII or a SA Micro Compact.

Anyway, just my $0.02, nothing against Glock, I like'em, just I like variety too! :D

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    For a guy his size, I would say there is no need to go with a micro compact type of gun like the Springfield, or the Kahr.

Besides, shooting full power 45 loads is not much fun in a really small gun.

If he does want to go the smaller gun route, then I would recommend either a Concealed Carry Officers ( CCO ) 1911 with a 4 inch barrel and short frame, or a Sig P220 Compact, which is basically identical in size to that, but offers a DA/SA trigger pull instead.

However, these guns are all also getting outside his $700 limit on price.

I have a number of Glocks, the Glock-36 is my EDC.

Either the Glock-36 or the Glock-30 would fill the bill...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links