What makes a good car gun?

This is a discussion on What makes a good car gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just to clarify the reason for a car gun I get called out at night sometimes, I pastor a church and am a police chaplain ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What makes a good car gun?

Just to clarify the reason for a car gun I get called out at night sometimes, I pastor a church and am a police chaplain when I ride with an officer I am not allowed to carry, or if I get called to a situation to meet an officer as a chaplain I am not allowed to carry, so my gun being in the car all the time is handy. I can not carry in a hospital in our state so again the gun is in the car, if I have a dedicated car gun that is concealable I always have something I can get to.

2. Remove Ads

Seeing how I only have one for now, it'd be the Glock 21SF. If moving forward both my wife & I are using CCWs, chances are if I were to go to a car-only solution, I'd still use the same one. I have a Grand Cherokee tho, so I have more and larger places to put a lockable unit.

I would keep either a .357 Magnum or my Makarov in there. With lots of spare mags or speed loaders.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Agreeing or not agreeing as to the benefit of a car gun I will leave to everyone else. Under your circumstances... the other day I stopped in a gun store, just to browse and he had a stainless old Rossi .38 revolver. J-frame with about a 3 inch barrel. I didn't even price it, but I'm sure it wasn't more than $300. Probably less. That would make a good car gun IMO.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I think the Sherman tank people make the best car gun; it is tough to park no doubt and not good on gas but the gun part is outstanding.......

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    S&W 500! but seriously I would probably put a rossi 357 in there.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I carry a colt commander most off the time when I can't , My RIA. commander is lock in my car that way ervry thing is the same I all ways have extra mag in the car.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    I think the Sherman tank people make the best car gun; it is tough to park no doubt and not good on gas but the gun part is outstanding.......
    Not if you happen to run into an opponent in a Panzer tank.......lol.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I think part of what makes a good car gun is that it needs a history of reliability, and preferably has no sentimental value for you, and isn't too expensive.
    The perfect answer. That sums it up, in a nutshell.

I have settled on a Ruger P345 that I ran across at a bargain price. A good, solid, reliable chunk of iron that is NOT typical Ruger bottom feeder (i.e., clunky and ugly to the bone), feels good in the hand and shoots quite well. Yet, if it gets taken, I won't shed a tear.

I'll just look for another one...

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    With the Glock, how often do you change out the magazines in a situation of car storage?
    Before I retired, I kept the "company" G17 in the driver's door pocket of my unit. I would take it out every couple of weeks and clean off the lint, etc., re-lube it, and stick it back. I kept a spare magazine with it.

If you're concerned about the plastic magazines deteriorating in the heat, etc; don't be. You should change the AMMUNITION in those magazines every six months or so, IMO... primarily because high heat will degrade the coating on the powder and increase pressures measurably. Ever notice how precision rifle shooters always keep their ammo out of direct sunlight? That's why. I'm not saying that ammunition kept too long in high heat will blow your pistol up... but it WILL be affected after some time.

I really dislike the thought of someone breaking into my truck and coming up with the bonus of a loaded handgun. Especially with the type of person who would be breaking into vehicles anyway. That being said, with the humidity, temperature extremes and the likelihood of possibly being stolen, my truck gun is my Hi Point .45. It fits all the criteria that I've seen listed here.....
    Its too big to CC
    It's large caliber
    Its reliable
    Its accurate
    Its inexpensive
    No sentimental or real value
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

<<<What makes a good car gun?>>>

Revolvers. Revolvers makes good car guns.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    A dependable police trade in that I didn't have a ton of $ invested in.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I think part of what makes a good car gun is that it needs a history of reliability, and preferably has no sentimental value for you, and isn't too expensive.

Also, I think that part of the advantage is that you can have something in your car that is more difficult for you to conceal than your EDC. So a full sized revolver in .357 would be a good choice, or a full sized pistol, preferably with larger magazines than normal. (So in your 19, it would be using 17 magazines). You kind of eliminate that with using the car vault (not saying it isn't a good idea to keep it locked up, just making an observation.)

^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was going to be a smart alleck and say,"one that goes bang"
    But I digress.

This is precisely why I have a Kel Tec P11.
    Nuff said.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Keep your S&W 642 in your car, I do.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    If it were strictly for the car..... I would get me a .357 EAA or Rossi revolver that I didn't have to pay much for and have it in there.
    What he said. A 4" EAA is reliable, has .357 horsepower, and it's cheap. It'll probably withstand banging around in a car safe better than most auto's and still shoot when you need it.

Regards,
    Jim

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links