What makes a good car gun?

This is a discussion on What makes a good car gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't keep a car gun in my car just for me , if I have a passenger with me a the SHTF they will ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What makes a good car gun?

I don't keep a car gun in my car just for me , if I have a passenger with me a the SHTF they will have somthing to use.Because you just never know.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

2. Remove Ads

I would prefer the wheel gun. I'm fond of the long double action trigger pull for a car gun. A couple speed loaders ride full-time in the center console. It's a gun that a passenger can also easily use should I become incapacitated for any reason. It's also a gun that fits nicely into a pocket in the event that I'm leaving the car spontaneously. Less capacity but I'm hopeful that the lead in my foot can make up for the lack of lead in the gun.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Another vote for the hi point 45 butt ugly but when you need it it will fire , and a steal at $150 new.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

never shot one but if i were going to leave something in the car it'd be a hi point for sure.

if nothing else you can beat someone with it or with a decent throw give a mean concussion.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    A Rossi .38, charter arms, etc. A high point makes sense and they are quite reliable but talk about big and ugly. Anyway, it's a less than ideal situation no matter how you cut it but at the end of the day, if you hever have to use it, it'll need to be something that'll work and that you can use well. I have to leave my Edc in my car at work (something I hate) so it's always my main edc, ugggghhhh

I wouldn't leave a gun in a vehicle 24/7, I just don't believe there's a need ever to do that. Take it and then if you get somewhere you can't take it, leave it there.

Gideon

Any of the used handguns here....

www.summitgunbroker.com
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Ruger P-series?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    Ruger P-series?
    That is also a good choice.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I'm gonna side with Knightrider here and say:

The one on your hip.

If I was to have a dedicated car weapon, I would like to eschew all the handguns and go for a carbine rifle. I know the "How would you hide/secure it?" question is the obvious downside, but think about it. Someone once said the handgun is used to fight your way back to your real weapon. That would be it. Of course, employment of such would be problematic. That's why I insisted on having the M-9 when I drove in Iraq. The M-16 wasn't too "driver-side friendly". I always have my EDC in crossdraw for at-the-door threats, but should I require extra firepower, and a need to get out of the bullet magnet that is your average vehicle in a shoot-out, a rifle wouldn't be a bad thing to have handy. An SKS may not be my top choice, but it is cheap and best of all, I actually have one of those!

Of course, burglars would just LOVE to find such a thing. Good thing my truck looks like a piece of...crap.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    Ruger P-series?
    I was going to say a Ruger P95. I read an article from a P95 owner that specifically left his P95 in his truck because he didn't want to leave his expensive guns.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

What makes a good car gun ? Having a good gun with you in your car.

I really do not like leaving a gun in an unattended vehicle but if you must as others have said get a good locking gun box. I had a car stolen back in the early 90's with a Model 66 secured inside. The car has never been recovered and needless to say neither has the gun.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I would leave the Glock and hope someone stole it

But that's just me.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    The perfect answer. That sums it up, in a nutshell.

I have settled on a Ruger P345 that I ran across at a bargain price. A good, solid, reliable chunk of iron that is NOT typical Ruger bottom feeder (i.e., clunky and ugly to the bone), feels good in the hand and shoots quite well. Yet, if it gets taken, I won't shed a tear.

I'll just look for another one...

Hey now! Don't be insulting my big boned Ruger P89. I call her "Bertha". If she transformed into a woman she'd be about 5'11" and weigh about 300lbs. and often be mistaken for a guy. But no one would mess with me while she was riding with me
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone ever mentioned the necessary attributes for a car gun. The way I see it, a car (or truck) gun is one that would necessarily be used from inside the vehicle. I assume that most of us carry on our person most of the time, and in a seatbelt condition it's gonna be difficult, or slow at best to draw from concealement. And, a lot of those that carry probebly don't carry "enough gun" to do what it may require for a defensive situation from inside a vehicle. So, with that said, here's what I consider to be the nessary attributes of a car (or truck) gun:

Must be of sufficient caliber and loaded properly to penetrate a laminated/tempered windshield and still be effectively accurate to target.
    Must be heavy enough to handle the recoil of the above mentioned power needs.
    Must be short enough to be deployed in any direction in the vehicle, including the door immediately beside the defender.
    Must be immediately accessable at all times while the user is inside the vehicle.

Just my opinion, but if you pocket carry something like an lcp, p3at, etc, for that quick trip to the corner store, you don't have a car gun.

I thought we may really need to define the terminology of car/truck gun.

surv

I'd say go with a glock because its reliable, has less chance of rusting due to all the condensation that is likely to form on it, and the polymer grip wont get as cold as metal, and the bulkiness doesn't matter for a car gun. It's also the cheap so not much loss of it gets damaged or stolen.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links