What makes a good car gun?

This is a discussion on What makes a good car gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; PF-9 is mine! Inexpensive, reliable, sized right and sufficient caliber. I have different people in my car each week so it resides in the drivers ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What makes a good car gun?

PF-9 is mine! Inexpensive, reliable, sized right and sufficient caliber. I have different people in my car each week so it resides in the drivers door pocket in a case made for an external hard drive. I also have a Com safe under the seat for use at airports, car washes and extended or questionable parking places.
    Weapons list suppressed...........

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sliponby View Post
    Hey now! Don't be insulting my big boned Ruger P89.
    LOL. "Big-boned"... I heard that. :-)

I always thought a car gun meant a long gun like a rifle or shotgun, like others have said, you usally are already carrying a handgun.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

CMR
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    A dependable police trade in that I didn't have a ton of $ invested in.
    If it were strictly for the car..... I would get me a .357 EAA or Rossi revolver that I didn't have to pay much for and have it in there.
    Both of these.
    I can't carry at work but I make sure I have my "truck gun". Its either a Rossi .357mag snubbie or a Glock 22 police trade in. Paid roughly the same price of each.
    Both have advantages. The Rossi doesn't eject spent brass (imagine shooting from inside your vehicle) and the Glock has a 15rd magazine.
    I feel very comfortable with both.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

If I was to have a dedicated car weapon, I would like to eschew all the handguns and go for a carbine rifle. I know the "How would you hide/secure it?" question is the obvious downside, but think about it. Someone once said the handgun is used to fight your way back to your real weapon. That would be it. Of course, employment of such would be problematic. That's why I insisted on having the M-9 when I drove in Iraq. The M-16 wasn't too "driver-side friendly". I always have my EDC in crossdraw for at-the-door threats, but should I require extra firepower, and a need to get out of the bullet magnet that is your average vehicle in a shoot-out, a rifle wouldn't be a bad thing to have handy. An SKS may not be my top choice, but it is cheap and best of all, I actually have one of those!
    I'm with Evilmonk here. I always have a pistol on me somewhere but I've been trying to think of a good way to secure a cheaper shotgun/rifle in my vehicle.
    XD45c, XD9sc, LCP

I would agree with this statemnt. I have a gun that I trust, that I have carried and I know will work when I want it to. It is a Star UltraStar in .40 cal. Here is a picture of one:

It is an ugly gun, has visible tool marks, is a little too bulky for the fact that it is a single stack mag but, it has never malfunctioned on me, it is accurate as heck and, it didn't cost me much at all. As I recall, it was $300 or so brand new. It is the gun that I take with me when I have to fly some where and I take a gun. It is a gun that if it were stolen, while I would still be just as upset, I wouldn't have lost a ton of money either.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

CMR
    Those Star pistols are nice guns but its hard finding parts for them since Star went out of business.
    My favorite is the Star BM. AWESOME single action 9mm "1911" style gun for the price.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

I just saw a EAA Windicator in .357 with a 4" barrel for $150. I'm thinking that'd be an almost perfect car gun. Find a good .357 load that is accurate out of the gun, throw the gun in a lockbox under the seat and have a few speedloaders nearby. All set. It'd be under $300 for all of that, and that might even include trying a couple different .357 loads.

I think .357, .41 or .44 (Special or Magnum) is about the perfect car gun caliber. Enough punch to drill through a car door, put down a lame animal hit by a car or take a longer range shot on an open highway if need be.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever View Post
    I just saw a EAA Windicator in .357 with a 4" barrel for $150. I'm thinking that'd be an almost perfect car gun...
    If that's in half decent shape, I'd buy it right now. Have one, wouldn't mind another at all!

Regards,
    Jim

Doc is right. This is what I would do if I were to keep one in a car. I would also keep an IWB holster with it in case you want or need to carry it with a couple extra mags.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    OK maybe it is just me but I have insurance and if my car/gun is stolen it is covered! so why skimp on what I am gonna have in the car???? When I go to concerts or places I can't carry I usually just stuff my EDC in the consol or maybe bring something bigger and leave it in the trunk.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

My biggest concern with having a gun stolen out of my vehicle would be who has it and how are they going to use it not it's cost and do I have insurance.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    My biggest concern with having a gun stolen out of my vehicle would be who has it and how are they going to use it not it's cost and do I have insurance.
    I might start leaving my 500 in the car. Figure the thief that gets it will probably not know what it is and will end up in the ER after trying to shoot it.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Maybe I've looked at your question from a different perspective...
    A good car gun? Any gun in a brand new Corvette!
    Now from the other perspective...I love my Glocks, but inside the car, if I want something extra, I take the Ruger SP101 along.
    I may have the Glock on my person, but the Ruger is tucked between the seat and the console.

If, however, I had to leave a dependable firearm inside the vehicle (which I probably wouldn't do), I do have my Beretta 9000S in 9mm. It'd dependable, but not a huge loss if taken.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ruger SP101, and if possible dont leave it in the car.. Where I park for work is secured, when I get home it comes out of the car.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links